“Needs better supervision and management”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
New York City, New York
“Needs better supervision and management”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

While there is much to like about this hotel, on balance, I would not recommend it at all. The list of problems is very long. These are the "lowlights":

1- I had four rooms saturday night and 3 rooms sunday night. Upon reviewing the statements, I saw I was overcharged on one of the rooms sunday night. Upon calling the desk to point out the mistake, I was treated like I was criminal trying to get away with something. Rather than admitting to the error, I was put on hold endlessly, had to go over the mistake with two different people, and then had to send you your own confirmation to prove the mistake. I am still waiting days later for my chargeback of $60 plus taxes. (I spent over $1300 for the two nights, a simple "sorry" would have been the appropriate response.)

2-We were woken up sunday morning at 6:45 am when the front desk turned on the music in the outdoor patio right under our room!! The desk later said "oops".

3-The bathroom door in one room was off its track so cannot close or open easily or quietly. Nothing was done about it.

4-Two of the three elevators stopped working for a few hours on Saturday, causing endless waits.

5- One of my room guests, who arrived an hour before I did, had to wait 45 minutes at the front desk attempting to check in before she was given her room key because they could not figure it out...even though we have the same last name and i told reservations we were arriving at different times.

6 -At the desk, I had to check out and back into my 3 rooms I had for a second night as "that is the way they were reserved". I have NEVER had to do this before at any other hotel I have ever stayed at.

7-I asked the desk upon leaving for a family wedding sunday night how I can get a car service back to the hotel. I was told to call the desk, which I did. The young man said he would call dispatch and they would get back to me....You guessed it...they never did. I has t find a car service at midnight on my own.

I think your people are personally very nice, but need better supervision and your systems are in serious need of better management. As there are no shortages of hotels in NYC, until I hear that is accomplished, I will not recommend that anyone I know stay at Aloft

Room Tip: Higher up the better
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Bookmaster1
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
We sometimes make mistakes but we try to learn, grow and become better hospitality professionals. Unfortunately this is the 1st time I’m hearing about this. In the future please contact guest services at our hotel for all service related issues. My apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is super convenient and nice for anything in the Brooklyn Bridge area, especially things near MetroTech.

Pros
Well appointed, clean rooms
Helpful staff
Close to subway station

Cons
Next to business area that mainly closes down on the weekend
The current construction can be noisy and inconvenient

Their isn't much the hotel can do about the construction or the business district, but it's the only thing that made my stay less than exceptional. Staying over the weekend was convenient because of the subway, but sometimes

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I’m happy you found our hotel to your liking. Hopefully the next time you return to Brooklyn you book your reservation here at the Aloft Brooklyn. Safe Travels.
lakewood, ohio
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at aLoft for 4 nights in June. The hotel staff were very helpful, attentive, and positive. Our room was tight, but very clean and modern. The shower was great! Loved the bottled water and hotel products. Rooms would be better if they included docking stations for charging phones and music. Would def stay here again when in Brooklyn!

Green Features: We appreciated the green focus with recycling in the room and bonuses for not using as many resources.
1 Thank brandiwithay
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear brandiwithay,

Keep the great reviews coming. Thank you so very much for stating your intention to come back!
In the meantime, safe travels.
Fort Washington
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here for one night to attend my cousin's 40th birthday party which was held in the Brooklyn Terrace atop the Sheraton Hotel. The two hotels are connected. I found the location of the hotel to be excellent. It was close to the Brooklyn, and Manhattan bridges with easy access to lower Manhattan. It was also within walking distance to all the major subway lines. The neighboorhood is bustling with shopping, and restuarants. The hotel is very modern and chic, the rooms are a very good size for NYC. I also liked the fact that this hotel allows dogs. This saved me a few dollars in boarding, but they only allow certain sizes so check with the front desk. I love the wxyz lounge, I frequent the one near me in the DC area.

The staff was top knotch, they were very friendly and accomadating. I think every person said hello, or had some type of salutation. The dog treats were a nice touch. The only minor complaint was that the music from the Terrace was loud if you were on a higher floor, but I was still able to sleep.

Dear brandiwithay,

Brooklyn's Finest - I love your description of your experience at the Aloft Brooklyn! We definitely look forward to you coming back. Safe travels.
Philadelphia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here for 1 Friday night in June 2014. The location was centrally located and close to a subway stop. I thought the hotel had a colorful freshness about it. The lobby was very lively. Service at the front desk was very pleasant. The room was bigger than I expected. The bed was very comfortable. Air conditioning worked well and was quiet. Shower was great and bath products were very nice. I would definitely stay here again for a Brooklyn visit.

Hello immer-sonnig,

Thank you for great review, I'm happy to hear you plan to come back! Safe Travels until next time.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. The hotel itself is nice and fairly clean. The main problem we had was that the walls were paper-thin. None of the room doors closed quietly so we could hear other doors slamming shut at all hours. We heard every time the elevator opened and closed too. One night the people next to us invited about 20 people to their room for a party, we could hear every word they said and the music they were listening to. We were trying to sleep but we decided to call the front desk if the party went past midnight. We had to call 4 times. After security evacuated half the room and told them they would be fined for smoking, the rest of the partiers got even louder and snuck up the ones who were evacuated. The second time security came our neighbors refused to open the door and we could smell weed throughout the hallway and in our room, so the front desk called the police. The party finally dispersed at 2:30am then 4 NYPD officers came to break it up at 3am but everyone had already left. Needless to say, we didn't sleep much that night since we had to wake up at 6am. Each time we called the front desk we asked that our room be moved but they just said "we've had complaints from other guests about your neighbors too so we'll take care of it." In the end we were not compensated for this inconvenience. Overall we were disappointed because all we wanted was a good night's sleep.

Green Features: We were told if we opt out of housekeeping services we would get a $5 voucher per day. We decided to opt out of the services but we were only given one $5 voucher even though we stayed 4 nights. The front desk said they would bring the rest of the vouchers up to our room, but it never happened.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear CnB2011fl,

I sincerely apologize for the unruly guests that evening, I was briefed by my overnight team and hope the circumstances were different. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. Hopefully you can give us a second chance by coming back. I thank you for your posting. safe Travels
Federated States of Micronesia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The only problem we had with this area is that all the businesses in the neighborhood shut down earlier, so we had to make sure we ate before coming back to the hotel. We had to avail ourselves to the somewhat pricey snack bar in the lobby. Everything in the hotel itself was quite comfortable and clean, we had no complaints. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher above the street...and farther away from the elevator makes for less noise
Green Features: We took advantage of it the opportunity to save water and money!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Oscant,

Yes you are correct; the shopping center near us close by 9PM, the good news, downtown Manhattan is open late and only one stop away on the subway. Thank you for the great review - We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon!