“Fantastic front desk staff”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Yes, there's construction all around the property. Didn't bother us as we are early risers anyway & heck, it's New York. Front desk and bartender gave us tons of good transit information and a great restaurant recommendation. Room was comfortable, clean and functional, and quiet (we were there midweek). We experienced the same "no queen rooms, switch to king" situation that other reviewers have noted -- not sure why the hotel overbooks queen rooms. Can't be that hard to determine.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Hello JB,

Once the construction is completed for the retail shopping complex within the year, this area will become a mecca for the world to come visit. Thank you for 4 stars along with the excellent staff review.

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at Aloft. It's such an affordable reprieve in the heart of downtown Brooklyn. The staff has been exceptionally friendly, and helpful both times we were there. We had to store our bikes during our stay, and they helped us get them from the car into the check room, no problem. Love the pool table in the lobby, and close by cool bar. We had fun. And the beds are super comfortable too! Very quiet for a New York hotel.
We'll be back!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philsfan56

Thank you for the great compliment and the love you have for our staff. We work so hard to make sure every guest leaves the aloft Brooklyn very satisfied, your review has validated our hard work. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

First time for us in an Aloft hotel. Booked online for cheaper rate and for $139 night could not have been happier. We arrived at 5:30 to check in (3 of us) and our pre- paid double room was no longer available. Poor us, had to suffer with being put into a suite for the same price! Living room area, flat screen, separate bedroom. Really nice stay. Exercise room had enough equipment for us all. Beds were comfy, room was clean. Only issues I had were water pressure in shower was non existent and ice was on the ground floor. Thought $45/night for valet parking was steep but not in their control, I'm sure. Front desk people very friendly and overall I would consider returning when back in the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello Chefette,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I’m happy you found our hotel to your liking. Hopefully the next time you return to Brooklyn you book your reservation here at the Aloft Brooklyn. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We needed a place to stay in Brooklyn, and this fit the bill just fine. We got a very good deal ($150 a night). For anywhere near NYC, that's very decent. Overall the hotel is okay - typical NYC (small lobby, small elevators, and small rooms), but it was comfortable. The bed was great. Rooms and hallways are looking a bit tired. And naturally, parking is ridiculously expensive at $45 a night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alandubo

Hello Alandubo,

You snapped a great rate for a newly built 3 year hotel. Unfortunately public parking is very expensive in NYC. I visited Boston 2 months ago and had to pay $55 for public parking. The city has approved 2 more public parking garages, hopefully the added competition will benefit all of us.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This stay in Brooklyn was the final leg of our permanent move to NYC. We have stayed at several locations in the city, and this was, by far, the best!

First, there are very few pet friendly hotel options in Brooklyn. Since we are here until we close on our apartment, we had to keep our puggle with us. They always greet our dog at the front counter with a treat and have been very accommodating.

The location is great. In the middle of shopping (high-end boutiques to outlet stores like Gap outlet, children's place outlet, etc.). Fort Green Park is just a quick walk away. Subway R, F, A and C are literally a three minute walk from the front doors--and those can get you to just about any location in NYC in minutes).

The rooms are big and appointed with high-end fixtures. The hotel lobby, business center and hallways are big and comfortable--a little too hip and trendy for the likes of us...

We've stayed in other hotels with many of these perks, but the service by the staff has been the big differentiator wherever we've stayed.
The front desk staff have been wonderful. Always chatty and enthusiastic, they have been eager to help fax papers for us, offer advice on restaurants and help with any needs in the room (concierge level service).

Room Tip: Get a king room if you need a crib.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank joe_d_alexander

Wow! Thank you for the 5 star rating! I don't know what else to add, you were pretty detail and thorough. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

In the interest of full disclosure, I did visit with the manager of the property about some of these issues. He seemed receptive.

1) Overall the hotel is fine. It's an economy option in Brooklyn. For that purpose, it's fine.

2) Some of the staff is friendly. Others not so much. I expect nice people, a smile, and words of greeting all the time, every time. Some of the desk workers clearly do not feel this way. One in particular was, however, fantastic, and I hope the manager rewards her in some way.

3) The carpet in the room was in tough shape. It was grungy in places, and there were bleach-like stains between the beds. Changing the carpeting is an expensive proposition, understood, but the carpeting here was more the caliber of what I'd find in a one-star budget place.

4) The bathroom and shower need a major cleaning. Gunk is in the corners, and the calking in the shower is showing mold.

4) The cleaning staff drove me crazy. Every single day I was there I had to interact with them: they never came at the same time; they came in after I told them to come later; they walked in while showering; the lady told me that she was leaving and if she couldn't clean, it wouldn't get done. I talked to the manager about this, but even today -- my day of checkout -- I get a knock on my door asking when I am leaving. What is up with that? Checkout time is noon. Expect that I'll be gone by noon (like ever other hotel on the planet). Seriously, every day I had to interact with them. I have to believe this is a result of the cleaning management. She/he clearly has no sense of what happens in hotels around the country where travelers are not harrassed by the cleaning staff. I hope the manager continues to follow up with this. I don't think I'm conveying my agitation very well with this, but it was seriously difficult. I wanted to scream today when I got a knock.

5) The manager seemed responsive, and that's a good sign.

6) Within a mile of the hotel there are a number of good dining places in an area called Carroll Gardens.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

I remember you sitting in my office about our tenacity for cleaning. I love a clean hotel so I was pretty bewildered about gunk in the bathroom; I’ve never heard that before from anyone staying in my hotel. The cliff notes here is you were looking for a precise time for your room to be refreshed every day, based on multiple variables such as check-in, check-out times, scheduling and guests in room service request this was a unique request which we tried our best to accommodate. I thank you for recognizing how hard we tried to address your concerns and apologize for being unable to meet your expectations. Safe Travels and all the best.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The check in was fast and friendly. The room was available early. The room was clean, modern, up dated and spacious. The location is great -- suggest taking a 15 minute walk to the Brooklyn Bridge and walking to manhattan.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

You're outstanding! Thank you so much for the great compliment. Please come back again.