All reviews carroll gardens court st subway station new york within walking distance big apple fran joe brownstone block bathroom neighborhood manhattan accommodations convenience
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We needed a place to stay overnight as I was in town for the Bike NYC 5-Boro ride. The wife was travelling with me but becasue of access ride restrictions, she could not be at the ride with me. All went well due in large part to the beautiful neighborhood of the Inn on Second. It's in the Carroll Gardens part of Brooklyn and it is very nice. I felt entirely comfortable leaving my car parked on the street all day and such was needed because on the day of the ride the wife didn't even move the car. In the AM she was able to walk to a great local restaurant for really good brunch (I was crazy envious!) and afterwards she planned to stroll the local shops but as it turns out there was a street festival going on which -in addition to the local shops- made her "occupied" for the entire day! After I got in from the ride, I joined her and had a great time. If such is not your desire, the subway is right at the top of the block (which you wouldn't even notice if you didn't know it was there) and the neighborhood is very accessible by car to the highways and byways of NYC, (we caught a show downtown and had dinner in Harlem the night before with easy navigation, well easy for NYC)...oh yeah, the room was VERY comfortable with a mini-fridge (stocked with water, soda, milk), a coffee-maker and ample drawer and closet space. We had plenty of sunshine and it was nicely ventilated with just the windows alone (but a fan, portable heater and window AC unit was right in the closet of our room!). Saturday after dinner, the wife was up crazy late reading some of the interesting books in the room...the is also a PC in the room , but it was slow and didn't work too good (I needed to print some tix for our show that I left home, and the owner, Joe, graciously allowed me the use his computer -we left our own notebook at home becaues of the PC in the room, but if needed, you may want to bring your own -not sure about wifi). Access to power for our chargers (phone, ipod) was easy. The supply of towels was ample with an abundant supply of personal care products on hand (a nice and different touch for a B&B). The bathroom was little tight however, but bright and very "new" looking.

All in all, highly recommended!

Date of stay: April 2011
1  Thank japii-phl
Reviewed 24 December 2010

Perfect location. Tons of places to eat. F train is a 2 minute walk. Fran and Joe are so nice. It truly is like staying at a friends house. We will be back to NYC, and when we return, we will stay here again!

Trust me, you don't have to stay in Manhattan. This brownstone is a 10 minute subway ride from the city. Plus, you WANT to stay in Carroll Gardens (Brooklyn). I could walk a half block and grab some fruit, bagels, etc at the market every morning. It's just so convenient! Don't even get me started on the amazing restaurants & bars within a 2 mile radius.

Note: The single bathroom (shower, no tub) is tiny, but it's kept spotlessly clean.

Date of stay: December 2010
1  Thank George O
Reviewed 16 December 2010

This was my second visit to NYC this year. I stayed at the Inn on Second both times. Fran & Joe are the perfect hosts, very helpful with reviews of the many local restaurants and subway advice. Their house is located within walking distance of many of Brooklyn's best eateries. The rooms are very comfortable and they supply a computer with internet access which is helpful in deciding where to eat each night. Each room also has a small refrigerator which has water, soda and juices at no extra charge. With the subway at the end of the block, it is a quick trip into Manhattan if you decide to leave Brooklyn. I highly recommend this place.

Date of stay: December 2010
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Although this is not the most romantic nor stylish accommodation, it is a very comfortable room only a block from the F (which connects directly with the Lower East side, West Village, Central Park, and much more). More importantly, it is a block from Smith street and all that Carroll Gardens has to offer, and easy walking distance to Park Slope. This is a great location to explore both Brooklyn and Manhattan, and at much better value than even many B&Bs in NYC. The hosts are very friendly and clearly want to please. It was so refreshing not to have to deal with sending money by paypal in advance, but just dealing honestly and face to face with the owner. The room comes with makings for coffee (including fresh milk), juice, bottled water, and soda. The room is large and comfortable and has a lot of old charm and great light, even if the newer decor is somewhat unfortunate and the rug a bit ratty. Rooms do not have their own bath and the bathroom is small and cramped, but well stocked with towels and all kinds of bath supplies. There are only 2 rooms, so its not like you have to share with many people - we never saw our fellow travelers, though I did have to wait a few minutes for a morning shower once. There is a computer in the room, but one of the major improvements this place could make would be to install wifi - I would have far preferred this to the computer, which I never figured out how to turn on anyway. Furthermore, parking was free, right in front on the nice tree-lined street. Overall our stay was perfect. The place is very quiet and private and no hassle. I definitely recommend this place for those who want a quiet, comfortable, affordable place from which to explore the city, and aren't too worried about style or being 2 blocks from Times Square. You can't beat its value for the money.

Date of stay: October 2010
Reviewed 28 July 2010

This Brooklyn spot was SO ideal for my husband and I for our short trip to NY. It is very convenient as it is very near many restaurants and pubs and is also close to the subway station. The hosts are very friendly and willing to help out with any questions or concerns.

Date of stay: July 2010