“Great place to stay”
Review of Inn on Second

Inn on Second
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklyn
Inn on Second
Ranked #6 of 58 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Inn on Second was an excellent value. The hosts were friendly and eager to help with any questions we had. The price was extremely good, and the location was convenient, on a quiet residential street with a subway station one block away to take you into Manhattan.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Inn on Second exceeded all my expectations. Joe welcomed me with a big smile and gave me the tour. I stayed in the Big Apple Room, which was very nice. I easily connected to their WiFi with my iPad, although they do have a nice desktop PC in the room. I liked the Eames-type chair. The linens, towels, bathroom -- everything -- was impeccably clean and attractive. Unbeatable value. The G subway a 5 minute walk. I dined at The Grocery restaurant which was delicious and a 10 minute walk. I breakfasted at a bagel cafe on Smith Street, another 10 minute walk. 2nd street is a lovely, quiet, tree-lined street that epitomizes the best of Brooklyn. I am already looking forward to my next visit. I WILL be back. Thank you Joe and Fran for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2012

My only regret was that my room here was only available for an overnight stay. Elegant brownstone, all the amenities (including wireless, an internet-connected laptop, and even a fine selection of books), and a wonderful, welcoming host. Next time I'll reserve far in advance for a longer stay and the fuller experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2012

First, let me go over the positives:

-price: for Brooklyn/Manhattan, its a great value
-location: we couldn't ask for anything more. You're 1 minute from the subway line and a 2 to 15 minute walk from all the restaurants and bars a young couple would want to hit (Momofuku Milk, Al di La, Mission Dolores, Bierkraft to name a few). Its also a 20-30 minute walk to the Brooklyn bridge (and to Shake Shack). The street is relatively quiet and is tree lined. I'd choose this over Manhattan in a New York minute
-room: big and clean and with some character and charm. The bed was comfy and you don't hear much hallway noise
-innkeepers: we only met the gentleman. Very nice and friendly.

Now, some of the negative:
-summer visitors, be warned. The room had an air conditioner and its one of the loudest units I've ever heard. Surprised we fell asleep at night. We also woke up in the middle of the night and were frying. Don't ask me to explain how the remote works so you can set it to cool. The hallway and bathroom are not AC'd, and we were there during a heat wave. It was stifling and border-line disgusting to use the bathroom or be in the hall. Guaranteeing you that it was around 90 F in there.
-bathroom: its very small and cramped. The shower is small and makes washing difficult. Warm water takes about 2 minutes to warm up. Toilet is close to the shower, so your knees will be against the outer shower wall when sitting and doing "duty"
-hip factor: this isn't a stylish or hip inn. Just make sure you're not looking at is as a romantic or breathtaking getaway
-bed: they have these gigantic unforgiving pillows that take up too much bedspace and are really uncomfortable. The pillows combined with the AC noise resulted in nary a good night's sleep.
-the little things: it would be great if our bedroom door was oiled so it didn't squeak so loud when opened. Sucks when you're getting home late or using the bathroom in the middle of the night. Our bed wasn't made up 2 of the days we were there (no big deal, but noted)

One final note. The reason one stays in an inn is so they can feel at home. Its supposed to feel cozy and comfy. By the main door, there's a bookshelf. There are 4 books that made me feel uncomfortable - they all appeared to be anti-Israel, anti-Jewish lobby, pro-Palestinian books. I don't know if these books represent the owners' views on the Middle East conflict, but if they do, they shouldn't be displayed. Keep politics and religion out of operating your business. Otherwise, I'm reminded every day when I come in an leave your inn that my political (or possibly religious) view is not wanted. Again, it may be the owners' oversight, but it made me and my wife feel uncomfortable, which is a shame, since the innkeeper seemed like a nice and friendly gentleman.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms to choose from.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank atomeyes
Joseph102, Owner at Inn on Second, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

The reviewer complains that he was unable to operate the room Frigidaire Air Conditioner and that our 120 year old Brownstone lacks central AC for the hallway and bathroom. We plead no lo contendre.
We regret that this gentleman was unhappy with his stay here but we are consoled by the fact that he is the only one of hundreds of guests to feel that way. However, his comments as to my personal bookcase which range from the Iliad and the Odyssey to the Life of Bob Dylan are personally offensive. He complains of 4 books of the 100 on the bookcase without naming them with inuendo of political or religious bias. This is small minded and reflective of a negative world view. However, I will oil the door hinges.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

The Inn on Second is a lovely old brownstone house in Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn on a tree-lined street. The location is excellent. The subway station is just around the corner and takes you to Manhattan in around 20 minutes. In the neighborhood itself you find many nice places to eat, especially along Smith and Court Street. Joe and Fran, the owners are very nice and helpful. They even surprised us a with a bottle of champagne due to our engagement in NYC. Even though there is only one bathroom shared by the two rooms, there was never a problem. Everything is kept very clean. The room comes with free internet access and a fridge filled with soda. The Inn on Second is just great.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caerbannog
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed here for one night. The room was very big and confortable. There was a computer with internet access and wifi available as well. Lots of little special touches. Would definatley stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We recently spent a long weekend at the Inn on Second in the Carroll Gardens area of Brooklyn. Joe and Fran, the innkeepers, are an exceptional couple and definitely went above and beyond the call of any kind of duty during our stay there. The Inn is small, consisting of only 2 rooms, which share a bathroom.The rooms are quite comfortable with free internet and laptop provided, as well as a refrigerator. The Inn is in a convenient and very lovely area of Brooklyn. The daily cost is also very reasonable at less than $150/night. My husband went through some major health challenges while we were there and I don't know what we would've done without them. We will definitely stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: The front room is the larger of the two. We stayed in the smaller room and would request the larger...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family