“An oasis on a side street”

Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
New York City, New York
“An oasis on a side street”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Duffield Street is a strange place to put adjoining hotels--W's Aloft and Sheraton share some of their amenities---but all in all, we had 2 very comfortable 5 day long stays in this hotel. I'm sure that in a year Duffield Street will not seem so deserted. It is surrounded by buildings being gutted for renovation, and most likely expensive, gentrified condos shops and restaurants. Good or bad, it's happening here. I believe it is zoned as part of the Atlantic Yards project. Dekalb Market right behind the place was a fantastic option for meals. Fulton Mall also great for killing time shopping. Hopefully Fulton Mall wont change too much.

Staff was incredibly accommodating and kind. Breakfast/Evening snack Club Room totally worth it. Wanda was so sweet in the mornings. Coffee and soft drinks were available all day long. Room was clean, modern and comfortable. Cleaning staff super nice. Everything looks relatively new.

Pool small but clean--outdoor area available. My only problem with this hotel was this: we booked here because I'm a displaced Brooklyn resident, and they have a pool. I was hoping we, and my babysitter, could take the kids to the pool during the day to pass the time. The pool is closed from 11-5 every weekday for swimming lessons. So, for tourists, no problem. But if you have small children needing something to do cooped up in a hotel, don't count on the pool.

In general, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for affordable accommodations close to Manhattan, and in the center of Brooklyn. Better value than the Marriott.

Room Tip: Rooms in NYC are generally on the small side--if you want a little more living space book a suite.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you again for staying with us at the Sheraton Brooklyn Hotel. We are fortunate to be in a very select group of NYC hotels which have an indoor/outdoor pool.

Its always a pleasure when our guest have a pleasant stay with us.I do hope to see you back again as we do value your Starwood loyalty.

Marie Kupfer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Sheraton Brooklyn is new and clearly very well managed. The hotel staff is friendly, informed and glad to help. The room was immaculate, fairly quiet and (by NYC standards) reasonably sized. The restaurant is a pleasant surprise. I suppose the restaurant pricing is slightly higher – as is the case with virtually all hotel restaurants. But, the food selection, quality, quantity and service is great. While traveling, I often enjoy the convenience of not having to venture out for dinner. So, this restaurant suited the purpose quite nicely.

I noted that the Hotel has an average rating of 4. My guess is that, despite the best efforts of the hotel, most people would give the hotel a 5 and the surrounding area a 3 or less.

The Sheraton Brooklyn is located in an area that is clearly in transition. Both the Sheraton and the Aloft are relatively new hotels that are located right next to each other. There is construction only a block or two away. However, an area in “transition” means exactly that. So, the remaining areas – between the hotel and the subway station that you need to access to go to Manhattan, for example – aren’t that great. During my three-day stay, I witnessed two very loud un-provoked verbal confrontations on the street (one directed towards a group of tourists from the other hotel). This didn’t scare me. But, it was added drama that I didn’t need. As a bit of a reference point, I lived and worked in Manhattan for many years. And, no, I’d never, ever live there again. However, I still have a fairly good comfort level in dealing with New York City. Even with that in mind, I would not walk around this area after dark. Visitors who plan on staying here and taking the subway from the hotel area to Manhattan – especially for night-time activities such as dinner, musicals, etc. – should take this into consideration and plan as per their own comfort level. Maybe the entire neighborhood will change over time. But, that is probably something that will happen one or two years down the road.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank KevinMJM
Just a brief note of thanks for your gracious words regarding the Sheraton Brooklyn Hotel. I will be certain to pass along your words regarding having "an immaculate room" to our Executive Housekeeper.

Be certain to let us know when your travels bring you back this way. We look forward to being your host.

Dubai
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We only stayed here for a night between tours, but it was a pleasant stay. Our cab driver couldn't get there even with a GPS but once we got there it was a pleasant surprise. The desk staff were fantastic, very efficient and helpful. The room was very comfortable, the beds were amazing, and the bathroom was nice. We had room service for breakfast - the quality of the food was good but it got to the room later than we had requested. We didn't venture out around the area as we were so tired we just went to bed and were gone again the next morning but it looked safe enough.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for mentioning our staff and excellent location. We pride ourselves on consistently exceeding guest expectations. Be sure to visit our rooftop venue, the Brooklyn Terrace for some great views of the City.

We look forward to being your host in the near future.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 8 August 2012

great staff. Damien at the front desk is the best! Everyone greets you..even the housekeeping people.Best beds ever!!! Wow wish all hotels had these. Problems with the magnetic card keys working in the elevator and the room. Had to rekey them often unfortunately. Wish they had a restaurant open during mid day and room service past 11 pm.

The car service was always available and the dispatcher for Continental Car Servie took care of us often!

They constantly have promos on price. Just wish I found out about the year of birth. For example if you were born in 1960 you just pay $60 for one night! I found out from others attending our nephew's wedding after I had gotten there.

Wish there were drawers and King size bedroom was a bit bigger.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms as they have a double door to shut out noise...Double bed rooms are larger than...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will be certain to pass your thoughts along to Damien.

Just so you know, the next time you are in the market for a new mattress, Sheraton Sweet Sleper mattress can be purchased on line.

Thank you again for your kind words and your Starwood loyalty.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. I really enjoyed it for a number of reasons. The staff was very accommodating and gave me a nice room. The room was big, huge king bed, clean and very modern bathroom. All the amenities such as the desk, drawers, and sink were sparkling clean and new. I would highly suggest staying here if your travels bring you to Brooklyn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Just a brief note of thanks for your kind words about the staff and cleanliness of the hotel. I have already shared this glowing review with our Executive Housekeeper.

We look forward to being your host in the near future

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My wife and I recently traveled to Brooklyn for a friend's wedding in DUMBO. The Sheraton was a great experience for us. Our room was well furnished - the bed was amazingly comfortable, the bathroom was clean and luxurious, but the best feature we had on our room was the amazing outdoor terrace. Not every room has one, so we were fortunate.

The service at the hotel was amazing - The Valet service was friendly and efficient; Greg helped us out so many times, always with a smile. Chris (Christian) was very friendly, helpful and affable, and Damian also made everything we needed accessible. Upon checkout, Brendan helped us load up our bags, and even fetched our pup some water when she was panting. Vanessa, who was covering for someone who had not shown up for their shift, was deftly covering several positions at once, including running the continental breakfast in the "club room". She was working hard, but was still amazingly courteous and amenable to us. Janet, also was great. Whenever we had requests or needed help, the staff was there for us 100%... I really can't say enough about the staff here. They were amazingly friendly and accommodating to my wife and I - we also had out dog in tow, and they were great with the pets too.

The Hotel itself has some wonderful amenities, and it's always very clean. It was quite busy the weekend we were there, too, but all of our needs were always met. They have a car service that took us wherever we needed to go (for a fee) and they were amazingly fast and reliable.

I would definitely stay here again, and in fact - I look forward to our next visit to Brooklyn so we can stay here again.

The management of this hotel, in my opinion, should be proud of their staff. The hotel is in an area of Brooklyn that is in transition - there is a lot of activity and construction going on around there, but it's establishments like this that will revitalize the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a terrace; inquire about it. Also, the "club rooms" come with access to t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven A
Thank you for your kind words about the entire hotel and staff. I will be certain to pass this note along to everyone involved and add a copy to their personnel file

In response to your closing comment...yes the Hotel Manager is very, very proud of everyone. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Please be certain to let us know when your travels bring you back to Brooklyn. We look forward to being your host in the near future

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed at thr Sheraton with my family for 8 days in May, 2012, and this hotel is definitely clean and has a good location for Brooklyn because of police presence. There is plenty to do in the area and the staff is very informative. What I did not like was the separation of amenities by floors, not even complimentary coffee or tea, and the mix of party goers, club participants, and people trying to get a good nights rest. It did not work and so I witnessed a fight in the lobby and alot of foul language. I also did not appreciate luggage being stored in the same area where the garbage is kept.

Room Tip: the upper floors which cost more offer more amenities
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thanks so much for recognizing the clean rooms and friendly staff at the property. Would you be so kind to contact me directly at the hotel as I would like to learn more about the inappropriate use of language and activity in the lobby

Thank you so much for your Strawood Loyalty.