“Great Stay at the Sheraton in Brooklyn”

Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
Ranked #27 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
N,Y NY
“Great Stay at the Sheraton in Brooklyn”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton in Brooklyn for one night in early December and it was fantastic. The staff was very attentive and incredibly welcoming. I very much enjoyed my stay and would return should I need to stay in the area again.

Location: I wanted to stay here because I had to go to a brunch celebration the next day in the area. The area is busy in the day. It is very close to Fulton Mall which has a couple of large department stores and fast food places. After the stores close the mall area which is near to the hotel can seem a bit on the quiet side to the point of being desolate. The hotel also near Brooklyn Heights (5-10 minutes) which has a lot restaurants and stores. You can walk to the Barclay’s center, perhaps 10-15 minutes at most. However it would probably be better to take the subway if you are in a hurry. Depending on the subway line, you will only have to go one to two stops.
There is also an Aloft next door and one of the hotel employees said that they are opening another hotel from the same chain across the street.

Bar: The hotel has a restaurant and bar. While I did not try to restaurant I did try a few drinks at the bar. I highly recommend the apple martini. It was one of the best I have had.

Room: The room size was fantastic. I couldn’t ask for better. The bathroom had a nice lay out. The bed was incredibly comfortable. My room faced the street but I could not hear a lot (if any) street noise. The room was clean and very welcoming. I was sorry that I was only staying one night.

Club Lounge: I had access to the club lounge. It had a few snacks (until 8) and drinks (all day). It was basic but enjoyable. They also serve breakfast. Again basic – eggs, oatmeal, pastries, coffee and tea. It was not fantastic but it served its purpose.

Price: The price of this hotel was comparable to Manhattan Hotels. The price in my opinion was worth it, given the time of year and location. However, if you think that a Brooklyn hotel will automatically be less expensive than Manhattan, I would say to do some research. You can find great deals in either location and in some cases a less expensive room in Manhattan.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
There is no greater compliment than that of a guest that truly enjoyed their stay. Thank you so much for your kind words and for being Starwood loyal. You are correct in that the Sheraton is so close to many great attractions in Brooklyn not to mention 8 subway lines. So just to recap....Location, beautiful hotel, attentive helpful associates and happy guests. What more could a general manager ask for ?

Safe travels and thank you for being Starwood loyal

Marie Kupfer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a girls' weekend in NY. The hotel was clean and the service was exceptional. The room was a little on the small side, and reminded me of a cruise ship cabin; but it was perfect for sleeping and showering, which is all we needed. I would stay at this location again--close to everything!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
No better place for a girls weekend than the sheraton Brooklyn. am so glad you had a great time

Thanks for being Starwood loyal and we look forward to being your host in the near future

Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 17 January 2013

First, I want to address the location. Yes, if you are not used to being in an "urban" environment, it might seem "shady" or scary. However, I feel completely safe there and believe that it is a safe location for anybody with at least a basic level of street smarts. The location is incredibly convenient, with several subway lines nearby that will get you to anywhere you'd like to go in Manhattan in half an hour or less. If you are going to the Barclays Center, it's possible to walk there in about fifteen minutes, via major streets that are well-lit, or you can catch a city bus there. If you are a Christian, or if you just enjoy hearing traditional Gospel music, the Brooklyn Tabernacle is within walking distance as well, and the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir performs at the 3pm service each Sunday.

The neighborhood is in a strange transition period. Fulton Mall is a major shopping area, and you will see an Armani Exchange right across the street from a store called "Pretty Girl" that sells low-cost clothing. If you have kids, check out the chaos and cheap deals at Cookie's Department Store; if you're more traditional, you can visit Macy*s right up the street as well.

I know that the hotel does not offer breakfast, but as other reviewers have mentioned, the neighboring hotel (also a Starwood property, but the "Aloft" brand) does have a small convenience store with a variety of items available.

There are also a number of small delis and "bodegas" available in the neighborhood, as well as street food vendors. The famous Junior's Cheesecake is within walking distance as well, and offers meals as well as cheesecake. In other words, this is a great way to experience all that New York City has to offer! I could not imagine limiting myself to a hotel breakfast when there are so many amazing options in this city.

You can also get a $5 voucher towards the hotel restaurant (or Starwood Points) for each night that you decline linens service.

The rooms are small, but this is not at all unusual for New York City. I had a king bed, and it would have been really tight with two people in the room. However, you don't want to stay in the room--you're in the best city in the world!

(Okay, true confession...I am a NYC native, so I might be a *little* biased.)

The beds are a.maz.ing. I hated that the bed was so cushy and comfortable and that there was a large flat-screen TV, because I just wanted to stay in that wonderful bed all day!

My check-in was pleasant and uneventful. I asked if there was a place I could store my bags, but even though I arrived at 10:30am, they were actually able to check me into my room. This was an amazing thing because I was incredibly exhausted from a late night and an early flight and needed to rest.

My suggestion is to look at what you are going to pay to stay here, and then look at what you would pay to stay in Manhattan, or even at a hotel like the Marriott in Brooklyn, and ask yourself why you would pay more?

Taxis in Manhattan are required by law to take you to Brooklyn; if someone refuses, get their cab number and complain to the Taxi & Limousine Commission. Carfare (private or via yellow taxi) is unfortunately expensive to either LGA or JFK, but that is not unique to this hotel; it's just a reality of NYC.

I also do an extensive bedbug check at any hotel I stay in, and did not find any evidence of infestation, which is a non-negotiable for me.

I will stay here again, alone and with friends, when I am in NY in the future. I'm so happy that I found this gem of a hotel!

Room Tip: I wish I had asked for a high floor so that I could have had better views, but I didn't think of...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
What an extensive review regarding the Sheraton. I can't thank you enough for your time and all the accolades. You are absolutely correct about our beds being so very comfortable. It almost is a crime.

We look forward to being your host in the near future.

Safe travels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Pros: nice hotel, great view from room. good location, right after Hurricane Sandy, looked like as if nothing has happened.
Cons: expensive parking, littlebit expensive for the quality, one of the sheets were dirty on the bed.

Overall: I recommend it for a business trip where a comfortable bed matters more than flare.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Thank you for your comments and yes i agree we fared well during the storm.

Glad you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to being your host again in the near future and when a hurricane isn't brewing.

NY NY
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Brooklyn hotel the week of Thanksgiving, 2012 for one night to attend a concert at the Barclays Center. I had stayed next door at another hotel last year to attend a play at the Bklyn Academy of Music and while the rates were comparable the quality was better at Sheraton. The check in took less than 10 minutes and the room was not overly large but quite comfortable. The bathroom was clean and stocked with alot of towels and toiletries. The bed and pillows were very very comfy and felt opulent. We were rushed to get to the concert so we could not eat at the hotel restaurant, which I had dined at last Spring and found very good with delicious steaks. In the morning we ate breakfast at the hotel next door because the Sheraton did not have a B-fast service. I notice cleanliness and appreciate good hospitality and recommend this hotel - It was without flaw and I thought a good value for the money.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PAM_from_LINY
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2013
Great words about the hotel, location, staff and our Grubstake restaurant. Thank you so much for your kind words and for being Starwood loyal

We look forward to being your host in the near future. Safe travels

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 12 January 2013

i can agree with a previous post about the service at this location - very nice, but they don't follow through.

I specifically asked to have the room to be billed to my credit card and they confirmed that they would. However, it was indeed charged to the person who booked the room for me.

The location is ... interesting. The only plus was that I found a brunch spot not to far away, and it was awesome - Walter's.

Finally, when I checked out, I needed a taxi. The bellhop got me a car. I thought fine. However, the car service had a ridiculous fee. I ended up getting out of the car in the rain with lots of heavy luggage. The hotel should disclose the cost of the service before shoving travelers in a private car service.

If this review were only about the quality of the beds, they'd get five stars - very comfortable and clean.

The restaurant was nice. I met a friend at the bar. The service there was good. For the cost of the room, there should be at least a continental breakfast or a food voucher.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
I am so sorry to hear you weren't "wowed" by your stay at the Sheraton I hope you return so we have an opportunity to extend exceptional service

Please be certain to call my office directly when your travels bring you back to the Brooklyn area I look forward to being your host.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

If you are considering the Sheraton in Brooklyn, think twice. I would stay at the Brooklyn Marriott or anywhere in Manhattan before I would stay here again even if it is less convenient.

The facilities are fine, the location is sketchy, and the service is absolutely horrible. We had negative encounters with four different front desk employees. They each screwed up our room reservation, each promised to fix it for us, then never delivered on their word. Each person was very polite; however, they never did what they said they would do. Needless to say it was very frustrating when we arrived back at the hotel each day to find out we were back to square one with a different worker. In addition, when we checked out our receipt was incomplete. When I reviewed my credit card activity, I discovered that they charged additional activity that didn't match the receipt. Total incompetence!

I discussed the problems with a manager. Same result, very nice, no results. I guess the employees were trained to act just like their manager!

One other observation about the mismanagement of the property....The computers in the lobby each had the "Blue Screen of Death". I found this rather funny since I've received that in the past on my home computer but then again, I don't have IT people at my disposal.

Do not stay here, you will regret it.

Room Tip: Do not stay here! You will regret it!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ChiHub
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
Thank you so much for your review and my apologies regarding any unprofessional staff or managers you may have encountered while at the Sheraton. We train extensively to consistently extend genuine hospitality to every guest staying at our hotel

Would you be so kind to contact me directly at the hotel 718-855-1900 or on my cell phone at 631-774-0821 so we may discuss the specific encounters. It is very important to myself and our staff that we address and resolve these concerns expeditiously.

Marie Kupfer

Travellers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels