“Great price, 30 mins from Manhattan on the subway”

Sleep Inn Brooklyn Downtown
Ranked #35 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This hotel is easy to mix up with the other Sleep Inn in Brooklyn, which has terrible reviews: but the Downtown Brooklyn Sleep Inn on 22nd street is nothing like that, and really is a hidden gem which I plan to stay at every time I return to New York in the future. Price wise it was approximately 1/3 the price of hotels in Manhattan, yet it was only a 25-30 minute commute on the subway into downtown (I'd guess about 45 minutes to midtown). The hotel was clean and well appointed (very well appointed for a hotel in this price band), and the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast options weren't up to much (heck, what do you expect, it's free...) but there's always a Dunkin' Donuts just up the street... The subway (25th, R-Train) is just 4 blocks away, so getting to town and back is easy. The only slight downside is that the location doesn't have a lot of varied options for eating - I found it was better to eat in town before coming back to the hotel - but there's a few places nearby to grab a quick bite if you don't. Whilst it's close to the expressway, I didn't hear any noise from this during my stay. A nice little hotel which makes for a very cost effective stay in NY.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Andy D

Reviewed 7 September 2012

This is a great little oasis of clean living in the middle of an otherwise, dirty Brooklyn, but the folks in the neighborhood don't reflect the mess around them. We had an excellent stay in a nicely appointed, though small, room. Breakfast each morning on the house was palatable and subway to Manhattan is only 3 blocks away. Friendly, accommodating service here. I will be back. Very near the port if cruising. MUST eat at Jake's Barbecue !!

Room Tip: C level rooms are below the street, but I imagine all the rooms are quiet here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WorldTravelSavey
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We were in town for a wedding in Brooklyn & this hotel was convenient to the wedding venue. It was a small room but it's price reflects this. The hotel was clean & the staff was friendly. The breakfast area had a good variety of choices. It was a short walk to the subway also.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Got a single room with king bed here for 2 nights as I just needed somewhere to rest before meeting up with my family who were arriving later. Pre-arranged for an early check-in at 7 am and when i arrived i had no problems and everything went very smooth. Also needed a late checkout at 1pm which they gave to me and waived the $10 fee! YAY!
The staff is always friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good (for being free) and they have a couple vending machines for extra options. The hotel is very clean and the area never once felt unsafe. The hotel seems to be a bit out of the way from "downtown" about a $10 cab ride to atlantic ave/fulton st...but this wasn’t too bad. and they will also call a cab for you at any time.
Another great feature was that they held my packages that were shipped before my arrival for me. I had a bit of issue with this first because when i first called to confirm that they would hold my stuff, the guy was telling me they could only hold it if it arrives one day before my arrival and no longer. How can i guarantee that the stuff arrive one day before i do. Impossible.
but after speaking to two other gents, they confirmed they would be able to keep my stuff until i got there. which they did and no issue/fees or anything .
all in all, good hotel and id definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank bahamalady
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Very clean new hotel in Brooklyn. We initially were worried about the neighborhood, but it was relatively quiet and safe. Hotel is near a subway station and NTC subway is quite efficient we had no transportation issues even later on at night after coming back from a show. Walla are quite thin. We were there at the same time as a group of teenagers from France and they were slamming doors till all hours and we heard everything in the hallway. Once they were gone however everything was fine. We stayed 5 nights and we had excellent service. Breakfast was okay with great service.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MTLcyclebuff
Reviewed 27 July 2012

You choose this hotel to save money when Manhattan is your destination without compromising the most important things being safety and cleanliness.

Cleanliness rating is a 10. Looks like new(probably is as I saw another reviewer said it as a new construction).

Safety is a non issue although it seems to be the concern when considering hotels like this in an old urban location. The hotel is situated in the middle of an old urban very middle class, clean urban family residential neighborhood. Nothing much visually but I don't see any reason to fear for safety than anywhere else urban. There is nothing much in the surrounding area. Restaurants and shops on 4th ave is distinctively Spanish.

Parking is limited like any urban area. If you owned a car and lived in the city, you'll understand. Plenty of parking under the highway bridge 50 yds away.

Breakfast is good and a little more than basic with eggs and sausages in addition to the standard continental fare.

I got my room really cheap and got a very small King bedroom. Any cheaper I'd have to settle for a hostel and shared bath. But I got a very nice comfy king bed and bath. And I kept $200 in my pocket for equivalent room comfort on Manhattan.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank PhillyGuy88
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The only negative thing about this hotel is that although it bills itself as "Sleep Inn Brooklyn Downtown" this is hotel is not near downtown Brooklyn at all. You must take a Subway to get downtown Brooklyn as walking is not feasible. Aside from that, hotel is great, clean, and still new. Staff is nice and friendly and breakfast from 6:30AM - 9:30AM is more than adequate for anyone. Although not in the best of neighborhoods, we never once felt unsafe at all and we've frequent come to the hotel between midnight and 4AM. The subway is a very convenient 5 minute walk from the hotel which will take you to downtown Brooklyn in 10-15 minutes and to Times Square in 35-40 minutes. Parking is extremely limited for those having a car while here. There are 8 parking spots in front of the hotel with at least one usually two being taken up by hotel staff. I would definitely stay in this hotel again as price and quality are a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple