“Great Value, Super Convenient”

Best Western Plus Arena Hotel
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Getting a hotel in Brooklyn, especially near the heart of the city, can be a bit iffy, especially if you're on a budget. But the Best Western Arena, on Atlantic Avenue proved to be a good choice.

I was visiting my two daughters who live in Bushwick, and the closest hotel to their apartment had comments under room tips like, "Stay somewhere else." So I was a bit apprehensive when booking and pre-paying for a three day stay.

I asked for a quiet room and late arrival. When I came in at 11:30 pm, the last place in the hotel was mine. In the basement. What??? Well, it turned out perfectly. The Long Island Railroad rumbles up Atlantic Avenue out front, and my deluxe king room, C-001, was quiet all three nights, had a window at the level of the back parking lot, and was sparkling clean each day. There was a microwave and little frig, which I didn't use, the room was decent sized for one or two, and the flat screen never got turned on.

Free breakfast was up on floor one (like the continental system), and the attendant was quite pleasant. Food choices were cereals, pastries, yogurt, boiled eggs, egg sandwiches, fruit, and some kind of quick cooking pancakes which I didn't try. Coffe was from a machine, and not quite as good as Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, but hey, it was Free!

Would I stay again? Yes. Not only is it a good hotel choice, but there's a bus that runs within three blocks of my kids' apartment. They'll be seeing me again, I'm sure.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet. Seems strange, but a Cellar room may be the quietest in the place.
1  Thank John v
Rich M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Arena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear John v,

Thank you so much for your detailed review of your stay at the Best Western Arena Hotel. We are so glad you read those reviews of those other hotels and decided to give us a try. Even with giving you a room on the lower level (basement sounds so harsh) based on what I read we provided you with a quiet, comfortable room that met your needs. Im delighted to read the breakfast attendant was nice and although not starbucks or Dunkin coffee, our Douwe & Egbert brand is still quality coffee. We hope we made a positive impression during your stay so when you visit your daughters we are your go to hotel in Brooklyn.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night last weekend for an event at the nearby Barclays Center. We were pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. The neighborhood was not the greatest, but it was within walking distance multiple subway stops to get around and to the Brooklyn Museum, which we went to our first day after some helpful directions from the hotel manager. The room was small but tidy and came equipped with a large flatscreen and iHome, coffee maker and microwave. I got a great nights sleep, did not have any issues with noise, but I did not stay in a room facing Atlantic Ave. The hotel staff were very friendly (we got a "good morning" from each member of the cleaning staff we saw in the morning) and accommodating (they let us drop our bags behind the desk after we checked out so we could spend the day sightseeing). The breakfast had a surprising amount of options. I do need to mention that I was a bit alarmed when we saw a large group of rats scurrying from bags of trash in front of the neighboring building on our way back to room at night. But I suppose it's to be expected in NYC? In short, it may not be located in the best neighborhood, but it's affordability makes this modest and tidy hotel makes it worth the stay if you're looking for a clean and trustworthy place for a night or two.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Smilecrocodile

Dear Smilecrocodile,

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay at the Best Western Arena Hotel. Im delighted to hear you were pleasantly surprised with the hotel, staff and all the extras we provide. The room does have all the comforts of home including the iHome radio, large flat screen tv with Direct TV access, robes and slippers. I appreciate you mentioning that all the staff were friendly and that breakfast was abundant with choices.
As for our neighbors we wish they could see how we keep our property clean and copy our style. We hope that with time they will join us and be pilars of the community rather than an eyesore.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I am just departing from Brooklyn, after a stay at the Best Western PLUS Arena and am glad to have gotten away safely. The staff was lovely and the room nicely appointed. We did, however, have to squeeze through a one foot space by a bed in order to get to the bathroom, the room was that tightly put together. The neighborhood was frightening for two women traveling; even a daytime walk to the nearby subway station was scary. We had hoped to use the convenient nearby buses for transit to Crown Heights, where our event was taking place, and were warned against it. Taxi costs ended up being a major expense for us, but well worth it. The room was also terribly noisy, even with double windows to block the train noise. Our first morning, we wanted to sleep in a little (perhaps until 7 or 8 am) and were awakened by steady LOUD noise from the cleaning staff on our floor. All in all, I am glad to be through with our stay.

Room Tip: I don't have any tips. I requested a quiet room and was unhappy with the one I got.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Rich M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Arena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Caren Rox,

Thank you for mentioning that our staff was lovely and that our rooms were nicely appointed. Our double rooms are a bit small and all face the front side of the hotel. We have little control of the surrounding neighborhood The good thing is along Nostrand Ave new sidewalks were just installed and the Bed Stuy BID have installed new trash recepticals and are planting trees soon to improve the overall look. The B44 bus goes directly to Crown Heights along Nostrand so not sure why anyone would sway you from using it. Good thing Crown Heights is close by so taxis we not too expensive.

Regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel is conveniently situated within a couple of blocks of the Nostrand Avenue A & C subway. Service to Manhattan is frequent and rapid. Also convenient to JFK. The hotel is located in a pretty down at heel area and you will walk past bags of rubbish on the short walk to the hotel from subway. If you're not too bothered by this, the hotel itself makes up for it. I have seen it rated as a 2.5 star, but it's much better than that. Bowl of fruit in lobby, free NY Times and USA Today, free breakfast of admittedly modest quality, free internet in room, coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Large TV with great choice of channels. Overall great value at the price. Friendly and helpful reception staff. I would avoid rooms overlooking street (Atlantic Avenue) as LIRR train passes by on overhead bridge and there can be a lot of other traffic noise also

Room Tip: Avoid rooms looking out on Atlantic Avenue
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Appius
Rich M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Arena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Appius,

Thank you for your candid review of the Best Western Arena Hotel. You made some great observations to share with fellow tripadvisor readers. Most importantly you liked the hotel and its amenities and you felt it offered good value. We consider ourselves a little oasis in a busy world around us. Please recommend us to all your friends and family.

We are close to the subway for Manhattan and JFK airport. The rooms facing the front of the hotel can be noisy especially if your from a rural area. Hey, this is NY, it going to be loud. All rooms offer a double window system to lessen any outside noise. We too wish our neighbors kept their properties as clean as we do. In time they will see how we do it right and flatter us by copying our style.

Sincerely

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is a nice, clean, comfortable hotel. The front desk, breakfast servers, valet and manager are very nice and helpful people who go out of their way to help with whatever you need. The only thing they can't help with is PARKING! This is a major issue if you have a car. There are 10 parking spaces for the whole hotel so when they say "limited parking" they mean limited! There is a parking lot nearby that charges $18/24 hrs. The neighborhood looks a little rough but I felt completely safe walking to a nearby grocery store and the subway station which is about 3 blocks away. If you aren't driving your car to New York, this is a nice hotel for the money. If you are driving, be sure to check out nearby parking garages in the event you don't get one of the 10 spots.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sherry4boys,

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay at the Best Western Arena Hotel. I must say that your review is spot on. We do offer clean comfortable accommodations, have a super friendly staff and even serve a decent breakfast. Add that all up and we do offer good value for our guests.
You got it right, you will enjoy your stay much better without a car. We do not try and hide it, we have LIMITED parking so we often refer our guests to two nearby garages to handle our overflow. I too wish we could solve this problem. Might be a good investment opportunity for someone to open a parking lot since parking is in short supply. Im sorry if it took away from your overall enjoyment. I hope you would still consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

First, Shantile was really most helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay most pleasant. Now this hotel is close to the subway, very affordable, offers free WIFI and a delicious Continental breakfast. Parking is limited and could become a problem it the small lot in the back is full. I stayed with my wife for two nights and definitely felt very welcome from the staff. Great job!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Rich M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Arena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Steven A,

Thank you very much for your glowing review of your stay at the Best Western Arena Hotel. I appreciate your recognizing Shantile as someone who went above and beyond to make your stay pleasant. We are happy she is part of our team. As a senior contributor with reviews in 21 cities you have a keen eye for value especially when you include free breakfast, wifi and parking in the price. Yes parking is our achilles heel because we do not have enough for every guest, it does present a challenge. Most importantly I glad we made you feel welcomed.
I hope you consider staying with us on future trips to the Brooklyn area.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel 7/21 thru7/24/14. The rooms are clean and hotel environment very quite. You need to be alert when outside of the hotel. Some of the surrounding areas are a bit rough but during the day we felt safe walking to the train. They serve a decent breakfast: fresh fruit, juice, coffee, pancakes, yogurt, cereal ... You get the idea. The staff was wonderful. They assisted us with directions and transportation. A special shout out to Cleopatra, Karishma, Jesus , Shantile, and Venetta. I would return just based on the service we received from the staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pioneer13

Dear Pioneer13,

Thank you for your glowing review of your stay at the Best Western Arena Hotel. Your comments
"A special shout out to Cleopatra, Karisma, Jesus , Shantile, and Venetta. I would return just based on the service we received from the staff" is the best compliment I could receive. Our staff truly are the heart and soul of this hotel and Im glad they made a difference during your visit.
We hope you do come back based on our service, It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.