“Good location; modern, clean and pleasant -- still new and tuning up.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
boston
“Good location; modern, clean and pleasant -- still new and tuning up.”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Pleasant staff, clean modern minimalist style. Strong selling point is its
location -- right around the block from everything interesting in Park Slope.
beautiful rooftop open air sitting area from which you can see the whole Brooklyn
horizon, at least three quarters of it..

King-size bed in a smallish room doesn't leave much space.
Only open a month, the hotel is still working out a few glitches, such
as no hot water for the shower. Another couple of months, and the new
wrinkles should be ironed out.

Front desk staff pleasant and helpful.

I will stay here again, hoping for hot water the next time.
I recommend the hotel for visitors to Brooklyn's Park Slope
neighborhood and within walking distance of the amazingly beautiful
and spacious Prospect Park.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank acuerdo1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Finnish first
Florida
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel is almost brand new, so the rooms are nice. But, there weren't enough parking spaces. When you're paying $25 a day, you should have a spot. Its really kind of simple for the hotel - don't sell more parking "passes" (to place on dash) than you have on site spaces. The breakfast area wasn't always up and completely running at designated time, which was a hassle when you need to be out the door for a mtg. (Bring employee in 15 mins earlier). The location is great - the side streets up to Park Slope restaurants and bars may look a little daunting, as the nbhd is still transitioning from industrial to residential, but I walked to dinner every evening and never felt unsafe. It is a few blocks walk to any restaurant or bar, but you're in NYC, no matter the borough, you have to expect to do some walking.

Room Tip: Ask to be on parking lot side, its much quieter than other side of hotel (trash pick-up, traffic, et...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank StP81
Webster, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel was very new and very comfortable. It suited our needs very well and although you had to pay for parking it was nice to have a secure lot.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JimH14580
Oneon
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Recently moved out of the area and came back to visit, so we already knew the neighborhood -- it is a little dicey but improving. The hotel was a huge disappointment. The manager was totally clueless -- for example, the fire alarm went off and we quickly walked down several flights and were ignored. I interrupted some employee chit-chat and asked about fire alarm and was told it was a false alarm. I found manager and asked why no announcement was made and he said he didn't know how and asked why we were worried! Then he inexplicably launched into how he is not from New York and how much work this is and, believe it or not, said that although it's a pet friendly hotel he doesn't understand how anyone can bring a dog with them to New York! He shouldn't be hotel manager!

Checkout time is listed in the in-room guide as being 12 noon but hotel staff said it was 11am. When questioned further I was told the book and website both were incorrect and it's 11am. While it is the property's choice, that's not typical for a Fairfield Inn and reason enough (to me) not to stay there.

Breakfast is standard Fairfield inn fare but the eating area is very crowded and laid out extremely poorly. I overheard someone ask the breakfast hostess for more boiled eggs at 8:48 and she flat out refused to get them, saying breakfast was almost over (buffet is supposed to be there until 9:00). Meanwhile she took up practically the only counter space with her junk and for most of the time stuffed plastic utensils in boxes as one food item after another ran out. A minute to 9am, she stood by the refrigerator with a padlock and a few seconds later pushed her way in and locked the fridge as a guest was about to grab something. Just plain rude!

Room was mostly in working order though hot water wasn't very hot and air conditioner when set at 68 froze the room but set to 70 never turned on. The fire alarm sounded intermittently but we could hear it well from the adjoining rooms. Room is small but typical for lower cost New York City rooms.

Ice machine is in a tiny alcove too small to fully enter. It's right next to a couple of rooms. Be sure not to get one of those rooms!

Internet access was just fair. Not much faster than dialup but reasonably reliable. It kicks everyone off once a day and you have to sign in again. It's wireless only.

I learned from a guest about a rooftop lounge -- staff never mentioned it, nor was it mentioned in the hotel guide in the room. It's small but quite nice, with tables and bathrooms. Several guests were there, so someone must have told them, anyhow. A definite plus.

Passing housekeeping in the hallway was always a chore. The hallways are small and housekeeping carts are parked right in the middle. It's not easy to get around them. Housekeeping staff never even grunted "hello". I didn't want the room cleaned but there was no "Do Not Disturb" sign in the room. I had to ask the front desk for one.

My hotel folio was not delivered under the door as it usually is at Marriott properties. I did not get it in e-mail either as I usually do. I asked the front desk for a copy on my way out and was simply told there were no incidental charges. I insisted on a paper copy and was given a piece of paper saying "Incidentals $0.00". I had to insist on a copy of the full bill showing my total charges.

I don't get it. The staff simply doesn't seem to care and the manager is even worse. And even when they were friendly, like upon arrival, they failed to give basic info like rooftop lounge access or breakfast hours.

They won't be seeing my money again. Plenty of Holiday Inn Expresses around (one just a block away) for the same money and the Long Island City Fairfield Inn is much friendlier, has a 12 noon checkout, better breakfast hours and even a restaurant.

By the way -- I know my Fairfield Inn's -- I am a long time Marriott Rewards Platinum member. I'm sad to see such a poor addition to Marriott.

Room Tip: Facing side street is quieter (3rd ave is noisy). Don't get a room near ice machines.
3 Thank Bill G
Darren P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Thank you for feedback regarding your recent visit to the Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn. The Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn is very proud of being part of the redevelopment of the area and we are looking forward to being a good neighbor and many years of success in Brooklyn. I would like to personally offer you my sincerest apologies for failing to meet or exceed your expectations during your recent visit to our hotel. I do regret that the timing of your visit to our hotel unfortunately was during a very challenging and chaotic time for the entire team. Not only were we dealing with the flooding of the lower level of the hotel, this flooding triggered the loss of elevator service as well as issues with our fire alarm system. All of these issues were addressed and corrected as quickly as possible but it is very safe to say that is was a very challenging and stressful string of events for all of us and I am personally disappointed that I allowed these challenges to have a negative impact on your experience.

I would very much welcome your giving myself and my team the opportunity to Welcome you back to Brooklyn and "WOW" you with our extraordinary service. I am confident that your next experience at our hotel will be one that is filled with friendly smiles, a great room, an incredible night's sleep and a plentiful and healthy breakfast to start your day. Thank you again for your feedback and I personally look forward to having you as guest again and having the opportunity to making a positive impression on her next visit to Brooklyn.

Darren Piercey
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 4 September 2011

No hot water for showers. Ice machines every other floor. Water in sink came out in trickle. Clean. Good location. Good continental breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Darren P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
Thank you for your review of the brand new Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn. As a new hotel only having recently opened, guest feedback both positive and negative is critical for our success. I appreciate your compliments on the cleanliness, location and our breakfast and I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire team for the inconvenience you experienced due to the lack of hot water with your shower. As a new build hotel, we are still working out a few kinks and sometimes the only true test of what really does and does not work is to have the guest occupy the room. Our Engineering department has been notified of the issue and the problem has been corrected. I do hope that if your travel plans bring you back to the Brooklyn area that you will again give us the opportunity to serve you. I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and personally thank you for your feedback.

Your loyalty to the Marriott family of hotels and the Fairfield Inn brand is appreciated. Thank you again for choosing the Fairfield Inn Brooklyn and we hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again very soon..

Darren Piercey
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Checked in to this hotel because we needed to evacuate our apartment due to Hurricane Irene. Was immediately given a room even though we had arrived several hours before our check in time. The room was very nice: the hotel was new, so the room was clean and modern. It was on the small side, but that was just fine for us. The wireless internet was fast and free. Also, I want to mention Amanda in particular, as she was extremely accommodating and helpful during our stay.

New Jersey
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed one night at this very new hotel. The hotel is wonderfully appointed with a modern decor. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable - plus quiet. We found the staff to be friendly and always helpful about getting to understand the hotel and the area. The hotel is 4-5 block walk to subway station, 2-3 blocks to restaurants and shopping. This is a great place to stay if you are going to Brooklyn. Hotel provides complimentary breakfast but there is no restaurant on premises for lunch or dinner.

3 Thank BGMNJ