“Best value hotel that I've found for visits to Brooklyn”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Andover, MA
“Best value hotel that I've found for visits to Brooklyn”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is the best value hotel that I've found for visits to Brooklyn. New Fairfield Inn is very comfortable and convenient in a section of the borough without a lot of hotels, not far from the Barclays Center. This is my second stay, and I will definitely be back on my next trip to Brooklyn. Modern and stylish hotel with fabulous glass walled and tile shower in the bathroom. Parking is $25 a night in a lot that fills up on Saturday nights, but don't bother with that and park on the street instead; as in any city, just don't leave anything visible in the car (and I'd give the same advice if you choose to use the parking lot at $25 per). The bed is comfortable, though the room is a little small. Of course, this is NY and the Fairfield is not a five star luxury hotel, and the room size is not a problem. Nicer than most Fairfield's where I've stayed.

Room Tip: Being in the middle of Brooklyn, there can be some street noise from outside overnight, as in any ci...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joe_from_Boston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Finnish first
Billerica, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 February 2014

To start with.. I got a Groupon deal. So the price was really good (not sure what the price is).

It's a 20 mins by subway, from Time Square, to Barclays Center station. And a 10 mins (or may be less) walk from subway station to the hotel. We walked to the hotel passed midnight, and felt safe enough to walk at that time.

Hotel room was very clean and tidy. Not very big, but okay size for a hotel in NYC. Bed was really comfortable, and we slept in. They offer free continental breakfast. It was a very good spread, and we really liked it.

Some cons.. they have a limited number of parking slots (and charge $25 per overnight parking - which however is not bad at all for a hotel in NYC). Front desk staff wasn't very friendly. But overall service experience was satisfactory.

I would definitely go there when I visit NYC again, if I can get the same rate I got through the Groupon deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chaminda D
Darren P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Chaminda:

Hello from the staff and management of the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn. Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience and for your Overall Excellent rating of our hotel. We are pleased that you found our hotel convenient and that our upgraded luxury bedding allowed you to have an incredibly night's sleep followed by our expanded all you can eat hot breakfast buffet.

Our award winning service team is committed to providing a 'WOW" experience to all of our valued guest and I personally regret that our team did anything less than exceeding your service expectations. Guest feedback is a valuable training tool and is shared on a daily basis with our entire team in our ongoing efforts to better enhance the guest experience. If you would care to speak to me regarding your experience, you may contact me at darren.piercey@marriott.com or by telephone at 718-522-4000. Nothing is more powerful than the guest voice.

I am pleased that you did indicate that if your travel plans do bring you back to the Brooklyn/NYC area that you would again give us the opportunity to serve you. We look forward to your next visit.

Darren Piercey
Reviewed 12 February 2014

As others have said about Brooklyn hotels, the rooms are small. However, the space was adequate enough. The bathroom was modern and the bed was comfortable. The walls were a little thin as I heard my neighbor's alarm clock. The rooftop view is very good and the parking lot is not as tight as one would think. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank klem_is_me
New Jersey
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here on New Year's Eve because it would be convenient to the Barclays Center where we were seeing Billy Joel.

Location. Very convenient to Barclays. Walking on Douglas for two blocks and then up 5th ave was fine. The first block on Douglas is industrial meaning that it will probably be deserted when attending an evening event at Barclays. The second block is residential. When you get to 5th ave, there many bars/restaurants on the way to Barclays.

Parking. While the hotel advertises that it has on site parking, this does not mean that it will be able to accommodate every car of every guest that might be arriving by car. This is New York City and free on site parking typically does not exist at all. The lot was full by 3 pm. I would bet that everyone at the hotel was there to see the concert which started at 9:30pm. The front desk offered us two options for parking the car. A garage three blocks away for $20 or street parking near the hotel if we could find it. We could and we did. Our car was safe and sound when we returned to it the next morning.

Room. Smaller than your typical suburban Fairfield Inn but definitely workable. Nothing out of the ordinary except the sink/vanity in the bathroom was something that I had never seen before. Depth of the vanity was about 2" larger than the sink. It was positioned so close the mirror that the faucet was positioned at 2 o'clock instead of the usual 12. The size of the Lilliputian sink was 4 hotel soap bars by 3 hotel soap bars. No kidding.

Stay in general. Fine. I had requested a high floor when making the reservation which resulted in a room on the 4th floor. After taking the elevator initially, we later discovered that the fourth floor is actually a half of a flight of stairs up from the lobby. The noise from the street below was noticeable and that is what I was trying to avoid by requesting a high floor.

Would I stay there again? Yes. The best way to get to the Barclays Center is with mass transit. But if you had to take a car in, and you had to stay overnight, the Fairfield Inn works out fine.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bob M
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My girlfriend and I recently came to Brooklyn to explore the local music scene and stayed at this Hotel in the Gowanus neighborhood of Brooklyn. We heard that this was a new music "hot spot” with lots of venues for local musicians to perform. I am a musician by avocation and an IT architect in Philadelphia, Now that our kids are grown up, we have more free time to "play" so we decided to come up to Brooklyn to check things out.

The hotel is definitely nice. The room itself was fine, and the hotel staff was courteous. The neighborhood is clearly changing, but still gritty with an industrial look and feel to it. That didn’t really bother us, but anyone expecting that the plush look of the newer hotel will be matched by plush surroundings should be prepared for the clash.

I was disappointed to learn that the musicians, artists and performers who have their studios in the building next door are not happy with the Hotel owner or owners, and at least one group there has organized a boycott against the Hotel. Apparently the Marriot, among other things, tried to silence the musicians there and impose a 10 pm curfew on them. Those are the people we came to see and support. If it were not for that I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DavidIsaacson
Darren P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Mr. Isaacson:

Good afternoon from Brooklyn! Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn for your recent 1 night visit to the Brooklyn/NYC area. We appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott family of hotels and the Fairfield Inn brand. We sincerely appreciate your sharing your experience and would like to say "Thank You" for your complimentary comments regarding our hotel including our rooms and our amazing staff.

The Fairfield Inn is extremely proud to be at the center of the renaissance of the Gowanus area of Brooklyn. Our hotel is proud to join our professional partners, Barclays Center and Brooklyn's first Whole Foods Supercenter in an effort to position this area as Brooklyn and New York City's next "IT" destination. Although we are new, we are deeply rooted in this amazing community and intertwined in the fabric of this diverse neighborhood. We have partnered with many local businesses within the Gowanus neighborhood, including Brooklyn Boulders in an effort to showcase all of the incredible talent and entertainment options available for our guests who want to discover what this Borough has to offer.

In regards to the small arts studio located next door to our hotel, we are very eager to reach a compromise that will accomplish two things. A resolution that will allow our guest to have a productive stay that includes a great night’s rest as well as allowing some of Brooklyn’s most talented and diverse artists to express themselves and reach their highest potential. We are eager to move forward. We look forward to being a good neighbor for many years to come and supporting this beautiful community.

Thank you again for your sharing your thoughts/comments and I do hope that the next time your travel plans bring you back to Brooklyn, that you will again give us the opportunity to serve you. Have a great weekend and looking forward to your next stay.

Darren Piercey
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Being a native of Queens I was never a big Brooklyn fan(lol) but I really enjoyed my 3 day stay at this hotel. The area has really changed since I lived in NYC and I love that they just opened a few blocks away. The staff was super friendly and as a Marriott elite member I appreciate that.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed here on 12/30/13. Needed a simple room after attending a social event in Brooklyn and got so much more. Great staff. On-site parking (for a reasonable fee) with in-out access. Modern and super clean room. View of the city. Continental breakfast in a modern lobby/seating area. All reasonably priced. Just be mindful that there are no restaurants or amenities adjacent to the hotel. You’ll need to walk a few blocks for those. If all you need a place to put your head down at night in Brooklyn then look no further.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo