“My 2 cents”

Ranked #19 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
“My 2 cents”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Our stay was as expected, and more. We wanted to be close to a subway and Manhattan, and this hotel is a 5 minute walk to the Barclay center, a major subway hub and a short ride across the river to the heart of the city. The room and linen are are new and clean, and the staff helpful and professional. The rooftop patio was a huge bonus, with a great view of lower Manhattan and two levels, one to lounge and one with tables to dine on. We ordered in from the many restaurants nearby after long days walking in the city, and we always started the day with a well appointed complimentary breakfast. The hotel is pretty new, had all expected amenities and free wifi, and had a metropolitan flair and artwork. A fridge would have been nice and the room was on the small side, but more than fair for NYC.
If you want robes and slippers in a posh neighborhood, you will have to pay much more in NYC. Though it does sit among some businesses, the area was safe and local merchants we dealt with were all very friendly. It's just off 4th Ave., a main road in the heart of Brooklyn, and close to the quaint Park Slope neighborhood.
All considered, we had a very good family stay and would definitely use this hotel again, a great base in NYC at a very good price.

Green Features: The in room waste container has a recycling bin. Bottled water can be purchased at the desk (sodas and alcohol too!) but NYC water is fine to drink.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When I got to the front desk after a long day of travels and fun, the staff were very welcoming, and the lobby was clean. Elexi, and Brian tag-teamed me with excellent service. Later, when I was starving and clueless, Elexi went out of her way to explain routes, print maps, highlight favorites, and ease my mind. She sent me to 5th ave., and I had the best dinner I've had in years (different review, but check out Oyster Bar for apps!!) Due to jet-lag I was not on time for checkout, but they were gracious hosts and didn't rush me out the door. I will be back, I will tell everyone I know, and Elexi, if you read this please know that you warmed my heart with your kindness. Surfing in Long Island? Who knew. Thank you, surferjen

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Surferjen619
Highlands, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived tired from a long travel day. Elexi McFarlane was the staff member that greeted us. Elexi saw the look of disappointment when she informed us that our reservation, through a third party booking agency could not give us our desired accommodations even though I was a Marriott Silver elite rewards member. Elexi then called the third party booking firm, cancelled our previous reservation (without penalty or fees), then proceeded to check us in to our desired accommodations at a slightly higher rate. She then informed us that parking was an additional $25 per night or we could choose street parking. We were apprehensive about street parking but she assured us that in the three years she had been at the hotel none of her guests ever had problems parking on the local areas. She was right; there was ample safe parking on the streets during our stay.

The most notable part of the facility is the NYC views from the roof top- simply spectacular at sun rise or sunset. The breakfast service and lounge facility were also impressive.

We liked the service and hotel so much we extended our stay even though the rates were significantly higher. The location was accessible to Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens for several of the events we attended.

Hot tip: don't use a third party booking service for reserving this property. For maximum flexibility and service in getting your desired accommodations, make your reservations directly through Marriott.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JDRolle R
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

New in 2010 & still in relatively good shape; clean & reasonably priced but Fairfield is still a bare-bones Marriott with no refrigerator, robes, hair dryer, or bottled water in the smallish-rooms. Nightstand lights are too dim to read by and there is no New York Times (sacrilege). It sits in an semi-industrial warehouse district that eventually will gentrify but for now plan on walking numerous blocks to the Subway or the shops & restaurants of Park Slope. Or if you prefer not to walk, there is a major cab depot just around the corner so you should never have a problem getting a taxi. The breakfast was included and was adequate; take your morning coffee up to the top floor deck and enjoy the view.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Carmen K, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Hello from the team @ the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn.

I am sorry we did not fully meet your expectations but we do strive to provide excellent service along with the many complimentary amenities we offer.

We would like to Thank You for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to the Brooklyn / NYC area, we appreciate your feedback.
Vail
Reviewed 14 August 2014

On 24 July 2014 I checked into this property. This first room I was assigned was dirty and poorly maintained. The carpets were so dirty and stained I requested another room assignment. That change was provided with the carpets being almost as dirty. I was tried, arriving following a 4.5 hour flight from Colorado. My business activities kept me busy for the next 2 days. However facing a third day and feeling uncomfortable will the poor housekeeping and filthy carpets. I decided to leave the next morning 26 July 2014. I ordered a car pickup at 6:30am.

On 26 July 2014 I left room 1112 at 6:20am and went to the elevators which were not working. I called the front dest and spoke with a property employee, Ginna. He reported the obvious; the elevators were out of service so I would have to walk down 11 floors as repair ervice would take an unknown amount of time. Of course, I expressed my displeasure, politely, that I was not willing to drag my 2 pieces of luggage down 11 floors. He did agree to send someone to assist. Fifteen minutes later a man did show up. I proceeded to descend the stairs.

Ginna met me at the front door. I told him I was not pleased to pay the full room rate for dirty rooms and inoperable elevators. He told me he would have the General Manager, Darren Piercey, contact me via either my cell phone or email. Ginna explained the general manager would certainly make the appropriate adjustment.

To date no contact from Mr. Piercey (as promised). No contact from anyone within the Marriott organization.

Therefore, considering the filth of the 2 rooms, the fact the elevators were inoperable upon check out, and no promosed response from the general manager I cannot recommend this property to anyone. In fact, in my judgment the health department should shut this property down, initial a complete health inspection, and re-examine the cleanliness of the hotel before permitting it to reopen.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
Green Features: Terrible! Filthy rooms! Small parking lot although the property advertises onsite parking. Only if you can get a space.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank okbb
Darren P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hello from the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn. Thank you for sharing your opinion of our Brooklyn hotel. Feedback, whether positive or negative is a very valuable and powerful tool and the guest voice is one of the most powerful tools in our industry. First of all, as the General Manager of the hotel, please let me start by saying how personally disappointed I am that we failed to not only meet your expectations but also achieve our desired goal, of exceeding your expectations. It is obvious that your experience was dramatically different from the other 235 guests who have reviewed our hotel. Having said that, I will admit that we must have dropped the ball and that I truly regret that I didn’t have the opportunity to make this right for you.

Our award winning hotel currently has a satisfaction rating of 87% on tripadvisor and we are currently ranked #7 out of 51 Brooklyn hotels. We are the proud recipients of the tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence Award for 2012, 2013 and 2014. Even with all of our success and satisfied guests, things unfortunately do happen that our just out of our control. Trust me when I tell you, that one day when our elevators went down was no picnic for us, as you can imagine, our hotel was running 100% Occupancy and we have 12 floors, we had many guests who were just an frustrated as you and our team dealt with it using all the tools and skills at their disposal to minimize the negative impact on our all of our valued guests. The timing could not have been worse and I can honestly say that receiving that phone call from my frantic front desk agent is an event that will forever be etched in my memory.

Now I would like to address the issue with the stained carpets in the rooms you occupied. As you are probably aware, our hotel is only 3 years old so technically, our carpets are not that old. I do agree that we have a few rooms in the hotel that need immediate attention, and we are working diligently with a professional carpet cleaning service on scheduling these rooms for cleaning. Due to the high demand for our property and our incredible Occupancy, our challenge is being able to get into these rooms to bring them back to their like new condition. As with all Marriott hotels, we have a very strict GCPM (General Clean Preventative Maintenance) program in place which ensures that each of our guestrooms receive a full detailed service each quarter which brings them back to a like new condition. Currently, out of 716 Fairfield Inn's in the Marriott system, we are ranked #81 for Cleanliness and #89 for Overall Condition.

So although I do honestly appreciate your sharing your experience and will be the first to admit, it keeps us on our toes, I feel compelled to mention that your experience was definitely the exception and not the rule and I would very much appreciate the opportunity to have you again give us the opportunity to show you how an award winning hotel should operate. Turning a Negative into a Positive is a challenge that really motivates me and the possibility of changing your mind and/or opinion of our hotel would be an honor for me, truly rewarding and satisfying. If you would like to further discuss your experience, you are always welcome to reach out to me via email at darren.piercey@marriott.com or by telephone at 718-522-4000.
I hope you have a great weekend and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Darren Piercey
Villanova, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here for a wedding. The wedding rate was a very good value. The decor is cool,modern and the hotel is very clean. The bed comfortable. There is a nice but simple breakfast. The hotel is within walking distance or a short car ride to many Brooklyn sites and restaurants. There is a great roof top lounge with a view of the Statue of Liberty in the distance. The front desk staff were friendly but busy at times so it would be good to have move staff at the front desk.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoxyL
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a Fairfield that is lot better than other Fairfield I visited. The hotel looks quite new to me. It has its own parking lot, though the space is limited. It can save you time to search a parking spot along the street if you get there early enough and you will also find it is safe to park on the property since it is under hotel's camera surveillance. The interior is clean and nice. The room is quite spacious and quiet, considering it is in the downtown area of Brooklyn. There are different room types, but I liked the one with the restroom equipped with shower only, it looks more modernized. If you are a tourist, you will find the location very convenient. You can walk to many nice restaurants nearby, and you can get to subway very easily by walking several blocks. In addition, you will find the rooftop view is beautiful. You can see the whole skyline of downtown Manhattan from there. This can be an attractive point to bring many people back! The hotel provides free breakfast and internet with decent speed. The staff is very friendly and provides prompt services. If you need to drive around, you can get on I-278 nearby, but during the rush hour, it can take you 30 min to drive to the highway entrance. Well, that is New York City, I can not complain that much. One room I stayed had this desktop iron board, it is hard to use it on a desk. Hopefully all the rooms will be equipped with standard iron board. The window shade could get better fit. It leaks light in the early morning. I guess early bird won't mind it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business