“Hidden gem”

Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Los Angeles, California
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is not right in the heart of the action in Brooklyn but it is only a $5 or $10 cab/Uber away. Close to Williamsburg, Green Pointe, Brooklyn - all the best spots for food and drinks but at a reasonable price. Rooms are slightly larger than the usual NYC shoe box. Our room had two large single beds with a small kitchenette and fridge. A large balcony and windows that opened. Ah, fresh air. And quiet too, in the city! In the morning you can have a cup of tea on the balcony and read the newspaper and not feel like you are in urban hell. It is a family neighborhood so no trucks and horns blasting all night. Close to the freeway and very handy to LaGuardia, only $30 for car service booked by the front desk. Free continental breakfast i the courtyard, free wi-fi that actually worked, free newspaper each day, free coffee in the lobby 24 hours. Simple, plain, clean and effective. All for a reasonable price. Usually $50-$100 per night cheaper than other hotels a mile away. Everything you need when you come to New York and will be spending most of your time out and about. There is a large Orthodox Jewish community in this neighborhood so it is more residential and quiet - almost suburban. Safe to walk around at night and quiet in the evening. Best part, the staff were great too! So friendly and helpful no matter what we needed. They let us check in a bit early, gave us an hour late check out as our flight was delayed and then they minded all our extra luggage in their storage room for no charge so we only needed to take one suitcase upstairs. Helped us with cabs, directions, eating suggestions. Nothing was a hassle no one was rude or disinterested. All nice regular folks who know how to do their job. This place is not in a hipster part of town or a swanky, cool, luxury hotel but for $50-$100 a night less who needs it? This hotel is real NYC as far I am concerned. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor can be a bit noisier than the upper floors. But the back room on the g...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Meyzee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I can't remember how many times I have stayed at the Condor although, I can tell you it will not be my last time. Each and every time I arrive I arrive it is a pleasant experience. This particular time I brought a co-worker with me and he conveyed the same sentiments.We were greeted by Mo at the front desk and she welcomed my co-worker as if he had been there before. "The hotel was so comfortable" he told me on the way back to Philly. I thank you for not changing what makes you great!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Would highly recommend this hotel. Friendly and very helpful staff, close to subway very comfortable beds healthy breakfast quiet area noise wise ..adored the fresh baked cookies at the front counter each day .

• Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel was great and the staff was very friendly. I was not sure of what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by the clean rooms, the attention to detail, the quality of service and comfort. The hotel is close to public transportation (trains and buses) and there was a great deli for breakfast nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Onika C
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here recently overnight, and as a native Brooklynite, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was furnished beautifully and the bed can give the Marriott's a run for its money. The staff I encountered were very professional and helpful. Didn't get the chance to enjoy the breakfast, but I plan on returning to the Condor.

My only critique...I believe the parking garage is shared with another neighborhood establishment or more, but I think lighting should be added. As a female parking there at night, alone, I didn't feel comfortable. Also, I had to call the front desk because the door to exit once parked was not clearly visible at night (and in the pouring rain). The gentleman was so kind as to come out and get me. So for that, my rating has to be a four. I will change to five once these changes are made.

To me,the pricing was fair. For an overnight stay with taxes, I paid $182. To park is $20, there was a discrepancy because my friend was told $3. Not sure where that miscommunication happened, but oh well.

Can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah W
David-CondorHotel, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Hi Deborah,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and your enjoyable experience here! We are grateful that you took time out of your day to share this with us. :)

I am saddened to hear that although our parking lot does have lighting you didn't feel our parking lot was lit up enough. We have limited control over the parking lot which is why the rate is so affordable. If I push the parking lot owners to make upgrades then our guests will have to pay market rate for the parking. Anywhere from $30-$40 per day.

Hopefully we can find a middle ground.

Hope to see you again soon!

David Margolies
Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

To say this is number one in Brooklyn is a joke and makes you wonder who is really voting here. Well, actually the joke was on us.
It’s a tiny hotel (I think they used up all the electricity taking the TripAdvisor photo) and the nearest subway station is 15-20 mins walk in a rundown albeit neighborhood. We got a room with a balcony – but we had a huge brick wall right outside about 6 feet away (mind you the smell of rubbish from the alleyway meant the door was always shut). The room was otherwise OK, if you forget the faulty TV remote control, industrial rattling A/C machine and other small stuff. The worst thing about this hotel is the breakfast room. It’s in the “ballroom”, which is a small windowless storeroom in the basement. The food was kosher (no major problem as such) but the meagre choice, sporadic availability of electricity and inability to provide hot water for self-service porridge or tea every day was annoying to say the least. Half the room was icing over from the ceiling A/C. There were often not enough tables and chairs for the guests. The response to little crises like these depended on who was on duty. If you want to eat, best to go early. The breakfast is supposed to be until 10 am but sometimes the staff start clearing things away at 9.30, look the other way and say “sorry, we’re closing soon”. The most bizarre event was that most mornings at 9 am, 1-2 cleaners come into the breakfast room, pile up their plates with the rest of the tomatoes, cheese and pineapple and sit down with guests. Any guest coming in after that is confronted with an empty food table and a game of musical chairs.
In contrast, people on the front desk are very friendly and helpful as long as you stay in their good books. Not the worst hotel in the world but definitely deserving the top spot in Brooklyn. Feeling screwed - definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FinlandDavid
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went to visit my son who has moved to Brooklyn and found this hotel very pleasant, convenient and reasonably priced. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again.
Parking on the street or in their private parking lot. They also have nice simple area to have a light breakfast. It was perfect for our needs.

Room Tip: Got a good rate for non-refundable room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hi Ann,

We hope you are back home and enjoying Bethesda. We get a good amount of guests from there! :)

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay in our hotel and that it was perfect for your needs.

We are eager for your next trip in to visit your son!

David Margolies