“Great value for the money”
Review of Pointe Plaza Hotel

Pointe Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My GF and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in May, 2014.
First of all, we thank the helpful front desk staff offered us an upgrade to an executive suite at no extra cost. It is an unexpected gift and excellent value for the money. The room is clean, quiet, and spacious. And the breakfast is simply good.
The place is special because we had the chance to experience the Jewish culture which is new and interesting to us. However, this hotel is not a perfect choice in terms of the location, which is safe, but there is a quite long distance walk to the nearest subway station if you travel to the Manhattan. We didn't take the 9:30 am free shuttle provided by the hotel since we started earlier in the morning.
Overall it is a good choice in NYC if you don't mind the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Imam K, Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hi,
Thank You for taking the time to write a review.
We're So glad that you got to appreciate the Free Upgrade to the Executive Suite.
Hope to welcome you again upon your next visit to NYC.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My sister-in-law and I visited Brooklyn for the first time earlier this month. I was unsure about where to stay, but after reading reviews for the various hotels, Pointe Plaza looked like it fit the bill ... i.e., reasonable price, located in a safe neighborhood, and QUIET. Although this sounded too good to be true, upon arrival I was pleased to find that the hotel was just what we were looking for. The Staff people are extremely helpful and nice. Upon check-in we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded from a twin room to a very nice suite with two queen beds, a sofa that opened into a single bed, and a kitchenette. After settling into our room, the desk clerk directed us to a secure parking lot with unlimited in-and-out access. The cost was just $15 a night and the lot is just a two minute walk back to the hotel. That night we walked the ten minutes or so walk to the closest subway station to go into Manhattan. We felt very safe along the way both going and coming back to the hotel late that night. The next morning we took advantage of the free shuttle to Times Square. All you need to do is sign up the night before. I believe the reason the hotel is safe and quiet is because it is located in a Hasedic Jewish neighborhood and very near a Jewish school. For this reason you will not find restaurants or bars in the immediate area. This was perfect for us because we wanted a hotel where we could relax and sleep. Fear not, fun and food is not far away! Overall, I give Pointe Plaza an excellent rating.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and were very happy with our room. Extremely comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AtlantaMarbles
Imam K, Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hi

Thanks for taking your time to review your stay with us.

I'm really delighted to hear that we did not disappoint you, and that we met your expectation. this goes to show that sometimes; "what sound too good, CAN indeed be true"! ;)

The area is really safe, and we are really fortunate to have a Hardworking Staff, that is trying very hard to please our guest, and provide them with the best accommodations possible.

You have put it best with your Finishing line: "This was perfect for us because we wanted a hotel where we could relax and sleep. Fear not, fun and food is not far away! "

This is exactly what we offer, a peaceful and restful Night sleep to relax, but we are still really close to everything.

Thanks Much, and Hope to see you again in the Future!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

If you are fine staying outside of Manhattan during your trip to NYC then this is the place to be. We saved a ton of money and thoroughly enjoyed our time at Pointe Plaza. The rooms were very large and nice and the staff was extremely helpful. The free shuttle into the city each morning was a welcomed relief to our legs and gave us a different view of the city than being down in the subway. We felt very safe in the area and walked from the nearest subway stop several times at night. The Jewish community that surrounds the hotel was a nice cultural experience. If we ever go back to NYC on a budget then this is where we will be.

Room Tip: We were right beside the elevator and noise was still not an issue.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review.

It's a great joy for us to hear that we "Exceeded your Expectations".
it's our ultimate goal to provide each guest the most accommodating and comfortable stay as Possible. And we are blessed to have a great team of staff and front desk that are working really hard to achieve this goal.

Thanks for your informative review.

We hope to have you again as a guest at the Pointe Plaza!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here to attend a wedding being held in this neighborhood. The hotel reminds me of a European tourist hotel that has undergone recent renovations. It has a lot going for it, but a series of customer service failures on the morning of my departure caused me to rate it lower than I otherwise would have. First, the plusses: I guess you might call this a boutique hotel. It is smallish, about five stories with about 10 rooms to a floor. I stayed in one of the rooms with two twin beds, which was sized typical of New York City - very small - but the high ceiling (15 foot?) made it feel airy. The plush pillowtop beds were super-comfortable, with one of the best night's sleep I've ever had (if you prefer firm beds though you might not enjoy it). The room's windows opened, which was nice to get air. The individually controlled a/c also worked well. A simple continental breakfast of dry cereal, baked goods, and hard boiled eggs is included. It is close to public transportation -- 5 blocks from the G train on the subway. There is a Zip Car (car sharing) location a block away. There is a food market a block away. There is a self-service washer/dryer in the hotel. It is an excellent choice for someone who needs to be in Brooklyn and who does not have a car. The neighborhood was safe with lots of children playing outside in the afternoon. I returned at about 11 pm and there were many people walking on Flushing Ave. Their shuttle to Times Sq. (morning only at 9:30) was helpful for my return trip. It was by 10-passenger van that went over the Brooklyn Bridge, and passed the United Nations, and Chrysler Building. The ride was about 45-minutes, which is about how long the subway trip to the hotel from Penn Station took as well. The shuttle is operated by a private company and the hotel needs to know the night before how many people are going. There were enough people going my morning that they ordered two vans. Now, for the negatives. If you have a car, there is no parking lot and the hotel charges to park your car somewhere. I found the hotel's roomrate somewhat pricey when booking in advance. It seems that the rate gets much lower the day of or the day before. You can save a lot by booking last minute. Had I been a tourist seeing NYC or needed to be in Manhattan, I would have preferred to stay in Manhattan because it would have been more convenient and about the same rate to stay at a basic-level hotel closer to the center of things. On the morning of my departure I experienced several customer-service fails which affected my perception of the hotel's attention to maintenance and guest service issues. (1) I had requested a wake-up call but they did not call me. (2) I had plugged my phone and computer to charge in a bedside lamp with two outlets for such. My devices did not charge. On closer inspection (moving the nightstand) I found the lamp unplugged and tried to correct that but found that the plug would not fit that receptacle. (3) The room had a really nice deep bathtub and I was looking forward to a morning soak. But only the shower part worked - the bath portion of the plumbing was broken and the maintenance man would not arrive for another half hour. To their credit, the front desk offered that I could bathe in another room. But who wants to walk wet through the halls?, so instead I accepted their alternative offer that they would send the maintenance man at 8 am. When no one arrived by 8:15 I called again. They said they would send him right away but he didn't arrive until 8:45 and the repair wasn't finished until 9. This meant that I couldn't bathe at all because I would miss the 9:30 shuttle. I would have expected the cleaning staff, which presumably cleans the tub every day, to have realized that the tub was broken and to have set the repair processes in motion before guests arrived. The missing part was not anywhere in the room, so it must have been broken a long time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hi,
Thanks so much for writing this very informative review.

I am deeply sorry to hear about your issues you had, especially with the Bath Tub.

i wish we could have avoided this ordeal, so not to ruin your otherwise pleasant stay.

Upon your future Visit, we shall offer you a free upgrade, and a discount to compensate for this issue.

Thanks Much, and our apologies again about this ordeal

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Could not get into my usual hotel for a business trip to Brooklyn, so I got booked into Pointe Plaza. Very nice choice. Good corner location in downtown Brooklyn. Very friendly staff.

At check in, I was upgraded to a large suite (probably bigger than most local apartment). Full kitchen, with dual kosher sinks (did not really use either). New bathroom is very nice, although I had some issue with the hot water, I only got hot water in the sink, shower was fine though. Bed room was very small (which I personally like), new and nice beds with nice linens. Flat screen tv hidden behind a wooden cabinet.

Business center upstairs was small but very useful. Breakfast was free and very nice, fresh croissants, local bagels, plenty to drink (juices, coffee, tea, milk, ect.) Small clean, friendly, with tv tuned to the morning news.

Nice casual vibe to the place, family friendly, not fussy, but practical and very clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

While Pointe Plaza may not be the flashiest of hotels, it is clean, well run, and economical. The staff at the front desk was particularly helpful, getting out maps to give directions to the not-too-far-away subway station and to explain subway routes to us yokels. The continental breakfast was very good (excellent bagels!), and the bathrooms are especially nice for a modestly priced hotel. And while the hotel is "tucked in a corner," as another reviewer has said, we found it quite easy to go back and forth between the city. I will definitely consider Pointe Plaza for my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This turned out to be an excellent choice:
- The rooms are spacious and in great condition. We were offered an upgrade to an high-ceiling executive suite at no extra charge; apart from the bedroom which provided a large TV, several lighting options and an iPhone docking station, the room included a large and fully functional kitchen (large fridge, capsule coffee maker, kitchenette, microwave, etc.) as well as a hall.
- the beds were large and comfortable
- the staff was very polite, friendly and helpful
- there are coffee, ice cubes and water machines in the reception hall
- Everything looks clean and inviting
- the location is not very appealing, but it's a reasonable distance from Manhattan (25' from East Village, ~35' from Grand Central) by using the subway - the nearest subway station is less than 10' away on foot. The free shuttle to Times Square offered by the hotel every morning is also a good option. Just let them know you want to use it; these shuttles keep arriving to accommodate everyone.
-The area is very quiet. The hotel is located close to a Hasidic Jewish community. This was no issue at all - people were kind and the vicinity felt safe; we walked Wallabout Street every night on our way back from the subway station.
-Breakfast is included at now extra charge, but it's kind of limited; the bagels and muffins were quite good, though. It is served in a small room, so it can only accommodate a certain number of people at a time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple