“for 1 night its perfect”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #43 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Giv'atayim, Israel
“for 1 night its perfect”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

we came to Union hotel for one night and we looked for quite and nice place in brooklyn. the hotels location is perfect, its close to Botanic garden and Prospect park and only 5 minutes walking from the 5 th av. the stuff was very freindly.
The room was too small, but it was clean, and also good breakfast!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ella_Dagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The location is great. It's about a 5 minute walk to Barclay's Center, the LIRR, and other main subway stations. Tons of things to do around the area, but quiet enough to get some sleep. The walls are thin so you can hear your neighbors if they are too loud We didn't have too many problems with it. The rooms are also fairly small, but there's a reason this is one of the cheapest hotels in the area. Design of the hotel is great and you won't feel like you are staying in a "____hole". Think of a modern hotel in a large European city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I booked this hotel because of the price and proximity to our friends/Brooklyn Half Marathon start. I was a littler skeptical about the hotel because of the reviews - but decided to go for it anyways.

Pros:
-Price
-Clean
-Included Breakfast at Station Café (<-- best part)
-Coffee machine in the basement
-Big bathrooms in the rooms
-Proximity to Union stop on the Metro line
-Awesome bagel shop around the corner ("Brownstone Bagel")
-Awesome beirgarten around the corner (forget the name)

Cons:
-Really, really, really tiny room (like probably the smallest room I've ever stayed in)

Basically, if you want a big, luxurious room with a view - don't stay here. But if you are in Brooklyn to be out-and-about (and only in your room to sleep), then stay here - it's totally fine.

Room Tip: Ask to not stay on the 1st floor - could potentially be sort of loud.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel from 16.4.14 to 24.4.14. and were satisfied with its modern accommodations. We stayed in a Standard Room that features a King Bed. It was very small, however that did not matter as we just slept there. The room had a TV, AC, bathroom (shower, sink, hairdryer-soap and shampoo not refilled-)
The room did not have a safe, which was very disappointing!
The staff was acceptable. The receptionists -ladies- seemed bored to death, however one male receptionist was very friendly and always helped with whatever was needed.
Nearby was the subway station that provided a connection line to Manhattan. We ate breakfast at the Station Cafe diner -review on their page- The staff and food were amazing! The neighborhood of this hotel was calm and safe.
Overall good hotel for a week vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The General Manager, Jacob, is an absolute joke. We had a legitimate complaint regarding a one night refund and received the most unprofessional letter. Apparently the hotel doesn't have letterhead because he sent it on a piece of blank white paper. Who does that? He accused us of smoking extensively in the room based on a report from the housekeeper. Insane! Neither of us smoke and one of our primary complaints when we checked in was that the people in the room across from us were smoking pot and it smelled horrible.

Worst hotel I've ever stayed at and by far the worst customer service of any business I have ever dealt with. I have to say, I couldn't even recommend this place if it was FREE.

I would also like to note that I have NEVER taken the time to give a business a poor review because I haven't cared to take the time. This was worth my time because the Union Hotel is a disgrace and Ascend Hotels should be ashamed to have it in their collection.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Megan M

Travellers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

My cousin booked my hotel online through a third party vender. It did not state how my cousin needed a authorization form.The gentleman who worked night told me the policy. However, the hotel does not have emergency management on site. So, I set up all night in the hotel until a gentleman a stranger give me his room. Than in the morning I talk to the person who that shift I was constantly cut off I had to him to stop talking so I can finish the story. Than he did to the manager about my situation however I should have been the one talking to the manager. So the reservation was held so they can get the form. I called to see was everything okay instead answering my question. I was told if it was not handle the reservation would not be held and am not doing anymore favors. We'll you tell a customer as a favor the proper word is courtesy. But, the whole was not my fault or my cousin who made the reservation. If the policy is not stated in the system then the burden is not on the customer. It is the company duty to to make sure the customer knows that. Also, they can hold your luggage if you ask. When I comeback the gentleman that works at night was very and had attitude because I need to recharge my phone I ask to use outlet because I am working Brooklyn and it would be easier for me to get work the next day if O stayed. But I was checking my resources did discover a way but I did not tell him that. He was asking long is it going to take meanwhile I said 15 minutes but I was gauging anyway he comes and say it has been 15 minutes with attitude I decide at that am not going to finish my reservation I taking my business where am accustom to being helped. I left but he did not know that but they why you should have manners at all times. The hotel does get a nice hot breakfast at the diner that is a little walk. No gym or business center. The rooms are clean the decor is okay. The rooms are small and the design of the bathroom was done wrong most cases to adjust the shower temperature you can do it on the side so you won't get the cold water on you but instead you can't adjust the temperature of the water like. The most important thing is a manager should always be accessible in a hotel and a hotel should always have people who know how to give quality service.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo