“Still needs work”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Still needs work”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My understanding from previous reviews of this hotel is that it is in transition. That makes sense. We had a decent room for the time we were in town - though it seemed a bit overpriced for staying in Brooklyn - but with the restaurant still closed, breakfast looking like something you could get at the Hampton Inn and some design challenges in the room (i.e. a window from the sleeping area to the bathroom, which while it might be cool, isn't something your partner appreciates when you are going in to do your business) make for a very mixed experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank nmarchetti
King and Grove W, Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thanks for your review of King & Grove Williamsburg. Our Guest Room redecoration is complete and the bathroom windows which you mentioned have been addressed along with many other great design items have been changed. The pool and roof deck have been redecorated and are open and very popular. The restaurant will open in the Fall. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the new design and experince the changes.
J. Felshaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
NYC
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I hope not much has changed at the Williamsburg except the name. This hotel is a beautiful, cozy, contemporary boutique hotel. I was there in December on the night of my wedding. When we arrived the lobby had a living room feel to it with a group of chic young men and women chatting. The lobby even though it is very contemporary still feels cozy and warm. The staff was very friendly. Our suite was impeccably clean. The linens, pillows and mattress were super comfy. The shower was amazing and the malin and goetz products were great. We especially loved the record players and LPs in the room as well as the retro-50s mod inspired look.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My Husband and I booked a 2 night stay a couple months in advance . We did not know it was in the process of switching names/ owners.. Well they need to step it up for the amount of money it is to stay.
Our comforter on the bed was stained( so gross!!). When they cleaned the room they never replenished the shampoo/soaps and Toilet paper? We called down for more and No one came!
The restaurant was closed so needless to say no room service. They had coffee and pastries lined up on the bar. This was just weird. How could they charge so much with no service at all!! Needless to say we were disappointed with this place. We would have just stayed at the other cheaper hotel which I'm sure had better service!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Jennyleigh1972
Warrenton, Virginia, USA
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I stayed in the K&G April 13 & 14. It was a bit pricey but the staff went out of it's way to be helpful, for the most part, and the rooms were very comfortable. They are small but certainly adequate. I noted the telephone had charging units for several different devices which I thought was a nice convenience and the television was great. The bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on and it was the best shower ever.

We had an issue the first night in that the heat was stuck on and it got up to 86 degrees during the night. When we reported it to the front desk thsuffered than made up for our discomfort.

The bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the front.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Coolidge06
King and Grove W, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guest room redecoration is complete. We look forward to welcoming you back in the Fall when our restaruant is open.

Best,
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The pool and rooftop bar weren't open yet, so I'm not sure how they justify the price. VERY comfortable bed, probably the most comfortable I've ever slept on. There were safety pins on the bathroom floor when we got there and when we left two days later, so I'm not sure how well they clean the floors, but it appeared clean and tidy. I probably won't stay there again, but I wouldn't say not to.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank DonBXX
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Have stayed at property several times over 4 months. Recently sold to new management company that fired most of the old staff and jacked up the room rates. Despite what website says, no food except a petite continental breakfast, no pool access until May, no rooftop bar until who knows when. Only positive is that rooms are much nicer than any other place currently open in Williamsburg.

Room Tip: Avoid room 510, drain in shower is awkwardly placed.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank SleepyHungry
Thank you for your review of King & Grove Williamsburg. I am sorry you didn't feel that the hotel's value meet your expectations. We would love for you to try us again. A lot has changed since you were last with us, the Salt Water Pool is open, the Roof Deck is open, guests rooms have been redecorated and our restaurant will open in the Fall.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel to enjoy the changes.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We booked this hotel which has been bought a couple of days ago by King & Grove. We wanted to stay in Williamsburg because we wanted to learn this upcoming area.....and the area is very nice. The hotel is luxurious decorated but with a bad taste in my opinion. Because he had to get up early we decided Saturday night to go bed early around midnight. There was a lot of noise in corridor because people where having a party with doors open. When I called the reception they first told me they couldn’t do anything because it was an authorized party until 2 AM. Because I didn’t accept this they send finally somebody up but it didn’t help. Till at least 1:30 AM there was a lot noise (music and yelling) because I fell finally in sleep after two more complaints to the reception. Next morning I ask for manager on Duty and told her the whole storey. She explained that the nightshift did it wrong and that new management and policy doesn’t allow this. She offered us to pay nothing. I even offered that I would be willing to 50% because that would also be reasonable for me. She said it was OK. So the solution was very good at the end.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Job_Adam
King and Grove W, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for your review of King and Grove Williamsburg. I was very
happy to read that your bad experience turned positive.

We are excited that in May our 3 season salt water pool will open as
well as our Roof Deck Bar and the guest room decor will be refreshed
at the same time. We look forward to welcoming you back to see the
amazing changes that are underway.

I am very glad that your negative moments were turned around and you
left the hotel feeling good about your stay.

We hope to see you soon.