“Boutique hotel in the hip heart of Williamsburg”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Boutique hotel in the hip heart of Williamsburg”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Williamsburg on our last 2 nights in New York. We'd previously spent 10 nights in Manhattan and decided to get a taste of another borough (Brooklyn). HW is located on North 12 Street (between Berry and Bedford Streets) and was a 5 second walk from the hip and happening Bedford Street. Plenty of restaurants and bars and interesting little stores right on your doorstep.

The hotel itself felt very new, so much so in fact that I don't think it was completely finished during our stay. The pool was still under construction and the outdoor pool area not yet open to guests. It was only the beginning of spring though, so this wasn't a massive impediment.

The room in which we stayed was pretty small and felt a bit badly designed. Sure it looked very cool, but some of the aspects weren't overly practical. There was a very cool armchair, for instance, that wasn't terribly comfortable to sit on. The bathroom featured heated floors, which was a nice touch, however there was a clear glass window in one of the walls, which meant anyone sitting in the room had a view into the bathroom of someone taking a shower/sitting on the toilet! We found this a little odd but assumed it was done this way so as to give the bathroom a bit of natural light. The hotel room itself had plenty of natural light and windows that opened a few inches so as to give a bit of fresh air.

The mini bar was also odd. Amongst the usual mini bar offerings of chocolate, peanuts, juices and booze were two "intimacy packs". The smaller, cheaper pack offered vaginal wipes (!?), a condom and a small sachet of lube. The more exotic pack offered the same, along with a mini vibrator (!?!?). We weren't sure what to make of this, as we'd never stayed in a hotel that offered this kind of thing, although I guess at least they're promoting safe sex!? LOL! We found this aspect of the mini bar amusing, although if you had young children in tow, you'd probably want to hide these interesting little boxes of treats.

HW offered free wifi for guests and complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was nothing to rave about, but considering it was free, you can't really complain. The coffee was pitiful (the brewed stuff) but there was a decent selection of juices, some muffins and danishes, yoghurts and fruit. The service we encountered was friendly and helpful. There is no in-house dining option at HW, but they do have a bar in the lobby.

Cost-wise, I think our two nights ended up being around $650. I wouldn't consider this a cheap option, as I do believe the hotel is held out to be "boutique", but for a couple of nights it was worth it as the location was unbeatable. There was also a subway station a few blocks away (on North 7th Street) so getting in and out of Manhattan and around is no problem. If cabs are more your flavour, then beware, as there's not that many around and you won't easily flag one down on the street as you would in Manhattan. Also, if you're in Manhattan and hoping to get a taxi across the bridge back to Brooklyn, ensure you do so at a reasonable time (ie prior to 4pm or so!) as drivers will tend to stop going to Brooklyn as they can't find fares back in and you'll be turned down. We found this a little annoying and ended up riding the subway, but it was pretty painless in the end!

Location-wise, HW is unbeatable however we found it lacked polish and the "finished off" air of a hotel that had been running for a while. Certain aspects of our stay (mainly the room) felt improperly thought out but overall it was ok. The floor in the lobby is clear perspex/glass with water underneath which was a nice touch. We also requested to leave one suitcase at the hotel prior to leaving New York (we were headed to the Caribbean and wanted to travel light, before returning to NY to stay at HW) and they happily accommodated this request free of charge.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank luxe0780

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights last week. The room's were clean and well furnished and staff was very attentive . The pool was not yet open, needing to have the City's approval still. But people sat around the water in lounge chairs and the staff served them drinks, gave out snacks and were very friendly. There was a bar area in the lobby because the Restaurant was not yet open and they also had a nice continental breakfast there in the morning.
I will go back to this Hotel next time I'm in the Williamsburg area. Looking forward to the rooftop restaurant opening.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
King and Grove W, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guest room redecoration is complete. We look forward to welcoming you back in the Fall when our restaurant is open.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I've traveled to New York several times but never stayed in Brooklyn. While I was unable to take advantage of the pool and rooftop bar due to their not opening until the end of May, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to go back. The rooftop has one of the best city-views I've ever seen. (I had a staff member show me the space after a bit of begging.)
From the moment I arrived, the staff made me feel right at home. I was recognized by name throughout my 5-night stay and truly felt like the hotel was a second home. The bed is also one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. (After my stay, I even emailed the manager to get the details for home...)
Definitely looking forward to a return visit once all the outlets are open!

Room Tip: I had a pool view room. Eventhough it was closed, the view was still beautiful especially at night!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Molly C
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My understanding from previous reviews of this hotel is that it is in transition. That makes sense. We had a decent room for the time we were in town - though it seemed a bit overpriced for staying in Brooklyn - but with the restaurant still closed, breakfast looking like something you could get at the Hampton Inn and some design challenges in the room (i.e. a window from the sleeping area to the bathroom, which while it might be cool, isn't something your partner appreciates when you are going in to do your business) make for a very mixed experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank nmarchetti
King and Grove W, Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thanks for your review of King & Grove Williamsburg. Our Guest Room redecoration is complete and the bathroom windows which you mentioned have been addressed along with many other great design items have been changed. The pool and roof deck have been redecorated and are open and very popular. The restaurant will open in the Fall. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the new design and experince the changes.
J. Felshaw
NYC
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I hope not much has changed at the Williamsburg except the name. This hotel is a beautiful, cozy, contemporary boutique hotel. I was there in December on the night of my wedding. When we arrived the lobby had a living room feel to it with a group of chic young men and women chatting. The lobby even though it is very contemporary still feels cozy and warm. The staff was very friendly. Our suite was impeccably clean. The linens, pillows and mattress were super comfy. The shower was amazing and the malin and goetz products were great. We especially loved the record players and LPs in the room as well as the retro-50s mod inspired look.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My Husband and I booked a 2 night stay a couple months in advance . We did not know it was in the process of switching names/ owners.. Well they need to step it up for the amount of money it is to stay.
Our comforter on the bed was stained( so gross!!). When they cleaned the room they never replenished the shampoo/soaps and Toilet paper? We called down for more and No one came!
The restaurant was closed so needless to say no room service. They had coffee and pastries lined up on the bar. This was just weird. How could they charge so much with no service at all!! Needless to say we were disappointed with this place. We would have just stayed at the other cheaper hotel which I'm sure had better service!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Jennyleigh1972
Warrenton, Virginia, USA
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I stayed in the K&G April 13 & 14. It was a bit pricey but the staff went out of it's way to be helpful, for the most part, and the rooms were very comfortable. They are small but certainly adequate. I noted the telephone had charging units for several different devices which I thought was a nice convenience and the television was great. The bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on and it was the best shower ever.

We had an issue the first night in that the heat was stuck on and it got up to 86 degrees during the night. When we reported it to the front desk thsuffered than made up for our discomfort.

The bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the front.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Coolidge06
King and Grove W, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guest room redecoration is complete. We look forward to welcoming you back in the Fall when our restaruant is open.

Best,