“for that price go to the standard”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2012

rooms are small and the design is meh. check in was as if they had never had a guest before. will go back to the standard next time. same price with stunning design and more luxury. don't even have coffee in the rooms or any room service here. bed is comfy but curtain was broken do won't close all the way so the room isn't dark. no views either. waaaay over priced.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Jenny G
King and Grove W, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear Jenny G,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. Since your stay with us we have replaced curtains and curtain rods and many guest room enhancements have been installed, such as Ames Rocking Chairs, extra pillows and ihomes to arrive next week. Room Service begins on September 15. We would love to welcome you back, please feel free to contact me should you change your mind.
JFelshaw, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two nights in celebration of my son's wedding. I was pleasantly surprised at how attentive the staff was, especially FREDDY, HELEN and BEN and what a wonderful time we had.
My only negative issues are with the assistant director of sales, Kate, but I will address that separately with the general manager, Mr. Felshaw.
The hotel rooms are clean, quiet and the beds are very comfortable. I was happy to see the record players had been removed allowing more space. The bathrobe in our room was clean but showing wear, the belt was thread bare.
The pool was great and not overcrowded, as indicated by other reviewers.
The food at the pool was good, however, the service left a bit to be desired.
The complimentary breakfast was enjoyed by all. A bit late getting set up the first day but big improvement the second day. A restaurant would have been nice but not open at the time of our visit. There are several restaurants within walking distance so really not a problem.
The bride and groom spent the night in the penthouse and say the bathtub is great!
Overall was impressed and would probably return.

Room Tip: Room 509 had a view of the pool and noise was not a problem. Rooms on the 7th floor are under the ro...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank phillyswans
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I had never stayed in Williamsburg prior to this stay. I was visiting a friend who resides just a few blocks away. This new hotel is just steps away from the subway - 2 stops from Union Square.
My room was comfortable, service efficient and the maids were great. Though the hotel is not 100% open, it's a great spot. It's quite nice to have the amenity of an outdoor pool all while being in Brooklyn. There a plenty of restaurants and amazing bakeries in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
King and Grove W, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guest room redecoration is complete. We look forward to welcoming you back in the Fall when our restaurant is open.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Just returned from our short stay at K&G Williamsburg, formerly the HW Brooklyn. Overall we were very pleased with the hotel, having decided to switch it up from our regular Le Jolie - will not be staying there again now that we have more options for the same $$.

We have been coming down to visit with friends and stay in the Williamsburg neighborhood for the last 4 years, and have stayed at the NU and Jolie. We are well seasoned (world) travelers and are not overly picky by any means, we've stayed in a wide range of properties from lux to basic. When you're spending this kind of money ($250-$350/night avg), you expect service and amenities. This isn't the super 8! We wanted one last getaway before baby came, and decided to go with K&G.

Things that stood out to me:
upon entering the hotel, a man stopped us to tell us we had to pay $45 to enter the pool area. I told him we had a reservation, and he said, "yeah, it doesn't matter, it's a new thing the hotel is doing, starting today". Oh, well how convenient it starts today! The first time we choose to stay here! That was a little weird, and not the best first impression.
We went to reception (which was part of the bar?!) and checked in, which was quick and no mention of the special request I had made in my reservation notes was made. So I asked if the room was quiet (as had been specified in my reservation) and if there was a balcony room available (also specified). I got a short head shaking "no" from the girl, followed by a quick "here is your room, please sign here". Not impressed with her. The bellhop(?) was kind enough to say the room we were in was a quiet one and we shouldn't be bothered by the rooftop bar noise- thank you!

The room was very nice, tight, but well layed out and the finishes were very nice. I did notice that there was no Ipod docking station or alarm clock- kinda strange, but NBD. The toiletries were Malin and Goetz - very nice. Bed was amazing - my husband said it was the best mattress he's ever slept on. TV, minibar, bathrobe. check, check, check. Shower was amazing, very refreshing. Our room looked out onto the pool area, which was very, very busy. which brings me to that issue...
Shouldn't the pool area be first and foremost for guests of the hotel? They offer a day pass to non-hotel guests, which is fine, but when you're paying to stay the night, you should have the first dibs at a seat/chaise, and not have to sit on wet stairs. Turnoff. We did not, as told before, have to pay $45 to enter.. Simply told Jonas (who stood out as a very friendly hotel staff person) what room we were in and went to find a place to put our bag. They were out of towels (again, annoying) so we had to go back to our room to get our bath towels. We were told by another gentleman that we should conserve our towels, b/c we only get one. ??? again, weird. I think the guy who first greeted us, and the towel nazi at the pool are part of an outside hired security business. The hotel would make a better impression by not having these guys employed, they were rude, and gave a bad impression of the hotel service.
Pool was amazing despite the crowd - lots of young, hip, hot bodies lazing around. Drink and food service at the pool was nice as well, ability to charge to room a bonus. Felt like we were at a resort for those few hours.
After our swim, I called down to reception to request more shampoo and conditioner, as they only give you a small bottle of each and we are both long-hairs, me "hi, i'm in room ___, could you have housekeeping send up some more toiletries please?" reception "um, what do you mean?" me "you know, some extra shampoo etc" reception "oh, uh, yeah sure" and they never brought any. Annoying. So on our way back in from dinner, I asked the woman on duty at reception if she could help us, which she did, and gave us some extra toiletries. But why my first request was ignored, I don't know.

Sleep was a rough start, as they don't shut the music off at the pool until 11pm (I know, we're lame for getting to bed that early, but I'm nearly 9 months pregnant), and even after that we could hear some music from the rooftop bar. So it's not exactly a quiet hotel. Noise from neighboring rooms was non-existent, however, so that was nice.

Awoke the next morning, and on our way out to breakfast, we noticed a complimentary continental breakfast buffet out on the bar in the lobby - wait! When did they tell us they served a continental breakfast?! Oh, that's right, they didn't. More points lost. Had they said something at check-in we would have taken advantage of this. Anyway, I grabbed a croissant on our way out, and it was decent enough- much better than the Jolie's lame breakfast buffet of smooshed croissants. A nice touch that they offer this, but they should say something about it!

overall, this place is a very nice option for a Williamsburg/Greenpoint stay, and we will stay again. But they need to work on the attitude of the staff, and remind them they are in the hospitality business. And the pool situation needs to be ironed out as well- make your guests feel like they have priority, not the kids who come in off the street. I don't care that they paid $45 - I spent a lot more to stay!! Also - what's up with the restaurant? no mention of that. The rooftop bar was mentioned once in relation to noise, but not put out there as an option for us. I assumed it was only for private parties until I was told we could have enjoyed it. Oh good thanks for telling me at checkout! With the Wythe Hotel nearby, they're going to have some competition if they don't get themselves to 100%.

Couple tips - location is fantastic, just off hip Bedford Ave, tons of restaurants/bars/shopping withing walking distance, facing the tennis courts at McCarren park. Parking is super easy in Brooklyn, no need to pay, just watch the street signs. We've never had an issue parking on the street here.
I would say this place is better suited for 20-early 40 somethings. Not the place for older people - I know my mom wouldn't care for this place (60+). There were some people with kids in the pool. It isn't super quiet, but not overly noisy either. I would say get a room on the street side, not pool side, if you're a light sleeper or need daytime naps. Breakfast at Egg on N 5th st is a short walk, and amazing! And if you can stand the long wait for a table, dinner at 5 leaves on Bedford, just across the park from the hotel, is a must.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bcharlton78
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We were really impressed by this hotel, especially given the price point. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, the bathroom was spacious with a great shower and the staff were really helpful.
The only small disappointment was the pool area. We had been looking forward to doing some afternoon lounging by the pool after a sweaty morning sightseeing in Manhattan. Unfortunately we didn't realise the area was open to the public and the small pool was so rammed with locals posing in the water that swimming was an impossibility. We were there at a particularly steamy time in the city, so it may be that this is not ordinarily an issue. However, if you are keen on a good poolside berth, be sure to show up at 10AM when the pool opens...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I love this location right across from McCarren Park. Was previously Hotel Williamsburg ( still has old sign up) new ownership but they have some work to do. Pool was open to public and couldn't even find a place to sit out there. When it rained everyone came into very small lobby and bar area and it was pandemonium. Biggest concern was doors didn't pull all the way shut and housekeeper left door not completely shut when she did turn down service. The next day housekeeper left tag in door that indicated housekeeper was in room (which she wasn't) and left room open and unlocked or hours! To their credit the manager credited me a night and I realize they are in transition. I would probably try it again but would call first to make sure things had improved. Front desk staff helpful housekeeping horrendous from safety perspective.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
King and Grove W, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Please again, accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced on
your visit to King and Grove Williamsburg.

As we discussed, there is no excuse for poor service you received with the Housekeeping Department and again I apologize for your inconvenience. The staff member has been trained and counselled to ensure that this would never happen again. It is our commitment to work daily to improve service and address guest needs.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and offer you a
level of service that you would expect.

J. Felshaw

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Williamsburg on our last 2 nights in New York. We'd previously spent 10 nights in Manhattan and decided to get a taste of another borough (Brooklyn). HW is located on North 12 Street (between Berry and Bedford Streets) and was a 5 second walk from the hip and happening Bedford Street. Plenty of restaurants and bars and interesting little stores right on your doorstep.

The hotel itself felt very new, so much so in fact that I don't think it was completely finished during our stay. The pool was still under construction and the outdoor pool area not yet open to guests. It was only the beginning of spring though, so this wasn't a massive impediment.

The room in which we stayed was pretty small and felt a bit badly designed. Sure it looked very cool, but some of the aspects weren't overly practical. There was a very cool armchair, for instance, that wasn't terribly comfortable to sit on. The bathroom featured heated floors, which was a nice touch, however there was a clear glass window in one of the walls, which meant anyone sitting in the room had a view into the bathroom of someone taking a shower/sitting on the toilet! We found this a little odd but assumed it was done this way so as to give the bathroom a bit of natural light. The hotel room itself had plenty of natural light and windows that opened a few inches so as to give a bit of fresh air.

The mini bar was also odd. Amongst the usual mini bar offerings of chocolate, peanuts, juices and booze were two "intimacy packs". The smaller, cheaper pack offered vaginal wipes (!?), a condom and a small sachet of lube. The more exotic pack offered the same, along with a mini vibrator (!?!?). We weren't sure what to make of this, as we'd never stayed in a hotel that offered this kind of thing, although I guess at least they're promoting safe sex!? LOL! We found this aspect of the mini bar amusing, although if you had young children in tow, you'd probably want to hide these interesting little boxes of treats.

HW offered free wifi for guests and complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was nothing to rave about, but considering it was free, you can't really complain. The coffee was pitiful (the brewed stuff) but there was a decent selection of juices, some muffins and danishes, yoghurts and fruit. The service we encountered was friendly and helpful. There is no in-house dining option at HW, but they do have a bar in the lobby.

Cost-wise, I think our two nights ended up being around $650. I wouldn't consider this a cheap option, as I do believe the hotel is held out to be "boutique", but for a couple of nights it was worth it as the location was unbeatable. There was also a subway station a few blocks away (on North 7th Street) so getting in and out of Manhattan and around is no problem. If cabs are more your flavour, then beware, as there's not that many around and you won't easily flag one down on the street as you would in Manhattan. Also, if you're in Manhattan and hoping to get a taxi across the bridge back to Brooklyn, ensure you do so at a reasonable time (ie prior to 4pm or so!) as drivers will tend to stop going to Brooklyn as they can't find fares back in and you'll be turned down. We found this a little annoying and ended up riding the subway, but it was pretty painless in the end!

Location-wise, HW is unbeatable however we found it lacked polish and the "finished off" air of a hotel that had been running for a while. Certain aspects of our stay (mainly the room) felt improperly thought out but overall it was ok. The floor in the lobby is clear perspex/glass with water underneath which was a nice touch. We also requested to leave one suitcase at the hotel prior to leaving New York (we were headed to the Caribbean and wanted to travel light, before returning to NY to stay at HW) and they happily accommodated this request free of charge.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple