“Perfect location and friendly staff”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Taunton, Massachusetts
“Perfect location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Drove up from MA with the boyfriend for just one night, the location was the main reason I chose King & Grove. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of cabs and even though it was freezing out the hotel was perfectly located near some places I wanted to see: Brooklyn Brewery, Output nightclub, Restaurants etc.. all walking distance.
I've been to Manhattan many times and this was my first stay in Brooklyn. I couldn't have been happier. The neighborhood is quiet and perfectly safe. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Upon checking in, I went up to my room which was still being cleaned so I went back down to the lobby and they changed my room without a problem and in fact I was happier with the change because my original room was right by the elevator (which I assumed is what you get when you book with an outside company) and my new room was a little further away from the elevators. Also we were able to check in a little earlier than the 4pm check-in time so that was another plus.
My only complaint was that there was a constant noise coming from the shower. My guess is it must have something to do with the way the pipes run internally. Had I been staying more than one night this would have bugged me but I was able to sleep through it for the most part.
I would definitely like to return again when the weather is warm out. The roof top deck is really neat.
Oh and I thought the bed and pillows were amazing, gotta find out where to get the pillows!

Room Tip: I booked with "jetsetter" and I didn't have the option to select a room so what I auto...
1 Thank C0lieN
AlistairKingGrove, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear C0lieN,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay .

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I apologize for the problem you had with the noise from the shower. We have investigated this and it has since been fixed.

I look forward to welcoming you back in near future and in the meantime please free free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

Alistair MacLean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
New York, NY
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I was deciding between King and Grove and the Wythe and decided on K&G because I'd been to the Wythe for drinks and wanted to try something new. I kind of regretted my decision once arriving. The decor of the hotel is supposed to be Brooklyn edgy which essentially equals concrete. It was really cold in NYC when I was in town which made the front area very, very cold as well as the rest of the hotel.

Front desk is also the bar. I stayed in Room 201 - the deadbolt does not work! The deadbolt is misalign to the hole in the door jam. This was slightly concerning given that the room was next to the fire exit with easy access to other floors and outside. The floors in the bathroom were heated (nice Korean-style touch) but the rest of the room was hardwood floor which was really cold. It was the first time I really understood why carpeting in hotels is important.

The best perk for me about the hotel was the Mailn + Goetz products. Otherwise, the hotel was just meh to me. It's a small room and not very comfy. The closet is tiny and only has three hangers. I had to call downstairs for an iron and ironing board and when I woke up the next morning both had not been picked up by the staff.

I had breakfast downstairs at The Elm. Beautiful restaurant that was very overpriced. Don't get me wrong, service was great and the granola that I ordered was very good, just not $12 good.

I would definitely try the Wythe Hotel before returning to King and Grove. It was a bummer that I didn't get to see the pool which probably would have made a difference in this review.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nycbuttercup
Dear nycbuttercup,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay overall. I have made not of your comments and they will be addressed.

We have recently made some changes to the property and yes having the pool open certainly brings a whole different scene to the hotel. We plan on opening the pool in May.

Please feel free to contact me if you are in the area and if I can help with pool passes at any point during the summer.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Terrific Hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant, which makes a pleasing change to staying in Manhattan. Well situated next to Bedford Avenue, which is the busy thoroughfare at the heart of the very up and coming area of Williamsburg.
Excellent rooms, ours had a view of the Empire State Building, which was impressive whilst the breakfast was good with really excellent service. The evening meal we had was simply fantastic but a little expensive. I guess that comes with the Michelin stars. Not only were the waiters pleasant and efficient but they were knowledgeable about the food they served and the wines they dispensed.

Brooklyn is the best spot for viewing the Manhattan skyline and at this Hotel what better than to view it from the rooftop bar. Fantastic views, great drinks.

With its fast underground connection to Manhattan I can recommend people to think about staying here when they come visiting New York City.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David P
Dear David P,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as our central location to both in Brooklyn and NYC.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

Toronto
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This hotel is very well situated, being opposite the park and so in a quieter part of Williamsburg but within easy walking of all the fab restaurants and cafes. The check in staff were great (contrary to other reviews) - friendly, helpful and engaged. There were a few tiny things when we got to the room but the reception dealt with them immediately when we phoned them. The room was just fine, although nothing out of the ordinary in terms of style or size. There did seem to be a lot of redecorating / reparation going on throughout the hotel so a lot of details were not finished. Free parking on the streets at the weekend is a great bonus. Very very comfy beds. The hotel was quiet although the hotel attracts a fairly young crowd who can be noisy coming back in the early hours.

The maid service on the other hand are a disaster. We had to ask twice to have our room made up, and even then the bed was made but the drapes and cushions buried on other furniture. Make sure to lock your door - the service staff walked in without adequate notice on two occasions (even at 10 am on a Sunday!!!). They would only leave us one set of towels, which for a king size room was annoying and so we had to ask for more towels on both days. The bath products were not fully replaced - again for a king size room with two people at the price of the hotel this should have happened. More than anything else the rooms were not really clean.

Would have been great to know about the bar - but we weren't told about it on check in and there was no hotel information in the room or on the website about it. Pity to have missed that! I note that a 'turn down' service is advertised on the website. This is a bit of a joke - our room was only made up at 5pm when we requested for a 2nd time.

This is somewhere to stay in a great area, but misses all the details and touches of somewhere that has any personal investment. It is clearly a corporate set up.

1 Thank Louise64London
Dear Louise64London,

I was disappointed to read that we fell short of your expectations and I apologize for that.

We have undergone some changes in the hotel since your visit and you can be rest assured you will not have a repeat experience should you wish to give us another chance.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally so that I can take care of your reservation.

I hope to hear from you and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for upcoming special offers.

Lawrence Township NJ
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Williamsburg is very cool with lots of restaurants -a great weekend getaway. We stayed at King and Grove with a TravelZoo and were very pleased, wished we'd booked another night but they were full. They upgraded us from our Superior room to a Suite, so we don't know what the first room would have been but the Suite was great! Very quiet too. Rooftop bar was nice but DJ was too loud and wine caliber was just OK. We didn't try their restaurant but it's rated very well.

Had breakfast at Allswell, there are many Happy Hour specials all around with $1 oysters, tour of the Brooklyn Brewery, went to Brooklyn BAM via subway. A little inconvenient from Manhattan, just one subway line in & out of Williamsburg, but worth it. We found the hotel to be a nice home base, despite a snowy/rainy weekend, and recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid room too close to rooftop bar if you want to sleep before 1AM. None of the rooms have great v...
Dear Katkin52,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the complimentary upgrade.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for upcoming special offers.

Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed 5 days and encountered several problems, e.g. Strong smell of drains in bathroom (only partially rectified), rooms often not serviced until mid afternoon, incorrect information from reception- told rooftop bar was open on the Saturday night, only to find residents were excluded because of a private party, tried to charge half a day rate for a 3 hour late check out request, restaurant is a totally different operation, so no public areas in hotel so total lack of atmosphere, rooms small and poorly planned. On the plus side the hotel is very well located and the beds are excellent quality and very comfortable, and the hotel is generally quiet.

1 Thank PaulM47
Dear PaulM47,

I was disappointed to read your comments but nevertheless take them constructively and we have addressed them.

Unfortunately with regards to the roof top there are times that events pop up at the last minute which may have happened in your case. Also with regards to the restaurant, it is not a separate entity. It is most certainly part of the whole operation for the hotel.

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and I do hope you will give us another chance on a future visit to NY.

In the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook or Twitter for upcoming special offers.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed at King & Grove: Williamsburg about 2 weeks ago for a bachelorette party. I was very surprised at how modern everything was and to how accomodating all the staff members were. The bed was super soft and comfortable, and the balcony we had offered perfect views of the city.

I got to spend a little time in the rooftop lounge upstairs and it was a great time!The DJ was playing awesome music and even though it was December, the whole place was nice and toasty.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for modern, convenient accomodations right in the heart of Williamsburg...or to anyone looking for a great place to party on the rooftop!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends