“Not worth it and rude”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I used to live in NYC, so I am use to how rude New Yorkers can be, but the front desk person was so rude to me when I asked for help as I checked in that I was floored. It was unbelievable, and I was a sucker paying $800+ for a suite in Williamsburg Brooklyn. The suite was incredibly poor for the amount of money. My advice is to stay at the Wythe.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank poco1905

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have mixed feelings writing this review, as the staff at the King & Grove should not feel at fault. They are all lovely and really trying their best, but here are the details of my stay:

1. No face cloths, or moisturizer re-stocked (this may seem nit picky but i stay at a ton of hotels and really, this should be standard)
2. Woke up to a morning full of business meetings to find out there was NO HOT WATER. Then had to ask for a complimentary breakfast which the front desk wanted me to come down and get (but i still hadn't showered) I said no, and they brought me something up.
3. Called for room service at 9 - wanted a glass of wine. The lady said it was closed, when i told her it clearly said 11 she said she had red or chardonnay, i said i wanted pinot grigio, she said the bar was closed and she didnt have a key?!?
4. The front desk said i could open a bottle of red to make up for it, no wine crank to be seen, had to call again.
5. Mini bar prices do not match what is in the mini bar, most of the items do not exist.
6. Pool is closed despite beautiful weather
7. Lobby is in the basement due to construction. I think it is bull hotels don't have to disclose this kind of stuff to guests.

Summary - I'm going back to the Wythe. Pool or no pool. This place felt like a half done hotel.

Room Tip: stay at the wythe
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mila R
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I encounter a few issues with my stay at this hotel.

I do feel like I was duped based on their website,description and person I spoke with when making the reservation.

It should have been a sign when I called to make a reservation and spoke with an employee of the hotel group that didn't know they had a hotel in Williamsburg...

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
1. advertised with roof top lounge and pool which are closed and "being worked on" They told me to go to the other hotel around the corner for nyc views...
2. No towels or toiletries in the room
3. Construction in the lobby reroutes guests through a hallway that feels like you might be mugged
4. Priced as a luxury nyc hotel but look, feel and service of a cheap no frills hostel..not worth the $400+ per night stay!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmd437
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I and our two chihuahuas stayed at the King & Grove in Brooklyn for 2 weeks in April while we were visiting our son who attends Columbia and lives in Bushwick nearby. We can't say enough about the kindness and competency of the staff ! Every member of the staff made us feel welcome and tended to any needs that we had. Nisa and Jessica were the two girls at the Reception area that assisted us so much and always with a smile. Much to my embarrassment , I was in a bit of a panic trying to do last minute taxes and couldn't figure out how to access the documents and get them printed and Jessica literally saved the day, guided me through the process on my computer, printed out the forms and did everything so graciously and adeptly! Nisa was just as pleasant and accommodating! She helped us move to a larger room, and she even sent me a pair of reading glasses that I had left behind in the room that I hadn't even reported missing! ..The guys were wonderful as well. Alberto, Johnny, Mike the manager, Teddy, Matthew ....all of them so respectful, helpful, polite and professional. When staying in a hotel for over two weeks with two rather needy dogs, the amazing attitude of the staff was so appreciated! We've done a lot of traveling and have stayed in several hotels in the city ( New York ) as well as another "popular" hotel in Williamsburg and The King and Grove was BY FAR our best all around hotel experience. Next time we hope to visit during the summer season when that fantastic pool opens up ( mid May I believe ). One more thing, The Elm is a truly first class restaurant and a great dining experience... And of course, the location of the K&G couldn't be better for anyone that loves Williamsburg and all it has to offer! Thanks everyone at K&G!! We can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LindaWrather
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We've stayed at King & Grove, Brooklyn several times since our daughter moved to Williamsburg. Jessica and Nisa were particularly helpful; they pointed us in the right direction for great food and fun. There is so much to do and see in williamsburg we barely made it into Manhattan. The restaurant in the hotel was to die for! We also had a great time in their roof top bar. Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin P
Alistair M, Regional General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Robin P,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as appreciating all of our amenities.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

Regards,

Alistair MacLean

Reviewed 2 May 2014

my wife and i stayed here for 9 nights, returning a week ago.
we couldn't have had a better time.
the room was big for new york standards, with a balcony overlooking the park and an amazing view over to manhattan. super comfortable bed, could have maybe done with a bit more storage space for those staying longer than a weekend, i guess.
the elm was great, amazing food and a good bar area. i'm not a massive fan of hotel bars and restaurants, as i spend too much time in them with work, but the elm was great.
the hotel is in such a good location for other bars and restaurants around williamsburg, it was a shame to stay in really.
really good transport links into manhattan, and really friendly and helpful staff.
can't really fault it, would like to have seen the rooftop bar and pool open, but that's no fault of theirs we arrived just before the season started for both. both looked (from what we could see) to be really spacious and fun.
will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: we had a king room overlooking the park at the front. a little noisy from the traffic, but you'r...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My boyfriend & I stayed here to celebrate his birthday. I had planned a special getaway weekend, with a concert, brewery tour, great restaurants and sightseeing. This Hotel fit the bill. It is a boutique hotel I across from a park in Williamsburg, and everything about it felt special. Our room was small, but still wonderful for what we needed. The bed was comfortable, and the wooden floors were nice underfoot. We enjoyed looking out our window at the pool below, and the apartments across the way!! The bathroom was nice - very clean! I especially loved the soap - hand milled in NY - nice touch!! There was plenty of room in the closet for both our clothes for the weekend. We were there the last weekend the pool was open, and the weather was glorious! We enjoyed bobbing around the pool and having a poolside drink. The rooftop bar has spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline. Our goal was to explore Williamsburg & the front desk staff were helpful with maps and directions and ideas. Also, the other hotel guests were all pretty chic / hipster looking, and we enjoyed that aspect - no boring tourist types here! We loved every minute of our stay, and hated to leave. This was not an inexpensive hotel, but for us it was worth it!! We would definitely go back. I really hope we do!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Corsagi,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as appreciating all our amenities along with our convenient location in the heart of Williamsburg.

Regards,