“Sunny splendid stay, hopefully will be back”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Sunny splendid stay, hopefully will be back”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Having read other recent reviews my expectations were lowered ahead of our visit, but I understand the hotel was going through some refurbishment and rebranding which thankfully was completed by the time we arrived.

All the staff we encountered were amazing - the reception, bar staff, and especially the very attentive, excellence service we received by the pool pool staff etc.Had a wonderful time taking in some sunshine, and the views from the upper elm bar are incredible.

Our room had a great pool view, and the room itself was great - very comfortable bed! Having been our first trip to Williamsburg, I was surprised at how much quieter it is to Manhattan so got some great sleep here! the area itself is so good - so many amazing bars and restaurants in the vicinity and just one subway stop journey to Manhattan... fell in love with the place so will hopefully be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I am only speaking of the pool part of hotel, I have not stayed here. I recently purchased tickets to enter their pool and it was a terrible idea. First off each morning ticket (11am-4pm) is $55 each person, and includes basically the pool and a towel, and "rose" wine. Secondly, the saltwater pool is quite small, I would say its 4 ft deep and maybe 50 feet wide by 60 ft long (lap pool). Thirdly they seem to be money hungry because they let in and sell way more tickets than there is space. Pool opened at 11 am, my group got there at 11:15 am and all seating was already taken and the line was outside the hotel lobby. We literally sat on the steps stemming from the sunbeds to the pool. People had to put their towel down right beside pool just to sit or lay. All chairs were taken. I would say they let in more than 110 people for a pool I feel should only fit about 30-40 ppl. It was a horrible experience. Oh ! and as far as the drink service, they had one frozen drink machine and it did not work the entire time, we tried to order frozen drinks 3 times and the machine kept failing and breaking down. MAJOR BUST on first impressions. I DO NOT RECOMMEND !!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank chris t
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was recommended by a local. The reviews at the time were positive, but the experience was disappointing. Arrived 14th May 2014
On arrival at 2pm to be told check-in was 4pm so room not ready. Fair enough.
Reception was undergoing renovation. Pool was closed and so was roof bar.
Staff very friendly
Room was fine, but lift noise and water noise through the night.
Woke up to find no hot water at 6am. Told by front desk it was a city problem in a very curt fashion. This was clearly a lie. The problem was with the hotel. When checking with Trip Advisor it seems others had the same experience days before. We asked to speak to the Manager to be told he would be there at 9am. We had meetings before then so left unshowered.
Returned at 5pm to be told hot water had come on at 8am. When asked about remedies were told Manager had left for the day and then we found room not made up. Complained and were offered a 25% reduction for the stay.
Room made up, but pillows were wet (evidently they spray them!???) and no bath products. Staff replaced and remedied quickly.
It is a real shame as this could be a good hotel, but it clearly is not yet on its game. Cant believe the way the failure of hot water was handled and no formal apology or unrequested gesture. Next time will stay at The Wythe.

Room Tip: Do not have a room near the lifts or near the top as apparently the music stays on until midnight at...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jadebuddha
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I used to live in NYC, so I am use to how rude New Yorkers can be, but the front desk person was so rude to me when I asked for help as I checked in that I was floored. It was unbelievable, and I was a sucker paying $800+ for a suite in Williamsburg Brooklyn. The suite was incredibly poor for the amount of money. My advice is to stay at the Wythe.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank poco1905
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have mixed feelings writing this review, as the staff at the King & Grove should not feel at fault. They are all lovely and really trying their best, but here are the details of my stay:

1. No face cloths, or moisturizer re-stocked (this may seem nit picky but i stay at a ton of hotels and really, this should be standard)
2. Woke up to a morning full of business meetings to find out there was NO HOT WATER. Then had to ask for a complimentary breakfast which the front desk wanted me to come down and get (but i still hadn't showered) I said no, and they brought me something up.
3. Called for room service at 9 - wanted a glass of wine. The lady said it was closed, when i told her it clearly said 11 she said she had red or chardonnay, i said i wanted pinot grigio, she said the bar was closed and she didnt have a key?!?
4. The front desk said i could open a bottle of red to make up for it, no wine crank to be seen, had to call again.
5. Mini bar prices do not match what is in the mini bar, most of the items do not exist.
6. Pool is closed despite beautiful weather
7. Lobby is in the basement due to construction. I think it is bull hotels don't have to disclose this kind of stuff to guests.

Summary - I'm going back to the Wythe. Pool or no pool. This place felt like a half done hotel.

Room Tip: stay at the wythe
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mila R
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I encounter a few issues with my stay at this hotel.

I do feel like I was duped based on their website,description and person I spoke with when making the reservation.

It should have been a sign when I called to make a reservation and spoke with an employee of the hotel group that didn't know they had a hotel in Williamsburg...

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
1. advertised with roof top lounge and pool which are closed and "being worked on" They told me to go to the other hotel around the corner for nyc views...
2. No towels or toiletries in the room
3. Construction in the lobby reroutes guests through a hallway that feels like you might be mugged
4. Priced as a luxury nyc hotel but look, feel and service of a cheap no frills hostel..not worth the $400+ per night stay!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmd437
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I and our two chihuahuas stayed at the King & Grove in Brooklyn for 2 weeks in April while we were visiting our son who attends Columbia and lives in Bushwick nearby. We can't say enough about the kindness and competency of the staff ! Every member of the staff made us feel welcome and tended to any needs that we had. Nisa and Jessica were the two girls at the Reception area that assisted us so much and always with a smile. Much to my embarrassment , I was in a bit of a panic trying to do last minute taxes and couldn't figure out how to access the documents and get them printed and Jessica literally saved the day, guided me through the process on my computer, printed out the forms and did everything so graciously and adeptly! Nisa was just as pleasant and accommodating! She helped us move to a larger room, and she even sent me a pair of reading glasses that I had left behind in the room that I hadn't even reported missing! ..The guys were wonderful as well. Alberto, Johnny, Mike the manager, Teddy, Matthew ....all of them so respectful, helpful, polite and professional. When staying in a hotel for over two weeks with two rather needy dogs, the amazing attitude of the staff was so appreciated! We've done a lot of traveling and have stayed in several hotels in the city ( New York ) as well as another "popular" hotel in Williamsburg and The King and Grove was BY FAR our best all around hotel experience. Next time we hope to visit during the summer season when that fantastic pool opens up ( mid May I believe ). One more thing, The Elm is a truly first class restaurant and a great dining experience... And of course, the location of the K&G couldn't be better for anyone that loves Williamsburg and all it has to offer! Thanks everyone at K&G!! We can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family