“Trendy boutique with no attitude.”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I work in hotels so I know the system and what to expect.

My mom came as usual from Memphis, TN to visit me recently and we picked McCarren hotel because of the beautiful pool. It is a large clean salt water pool. It is better for relaxing Monday through Thursday, weekends were slightly more hectic but it could always be worse sense its NYC! I think they do a great job even when busy. It started to rain one day and they moved the fun from the pool to the luxe rooftop. The hotels atmosphere seems like it could be snobby because of its trendiness, but every staff member helps change that feel to be more casual.

The rooms are super clean and simple, and if you have a problem the staff makes sure to be right there. They also have super sexy showers, and Malin and Goetz products!

Alberto on staff went out of his way to make my mom feel very comfortable. It seemed like he never went home and was always available, yet he was consistently energetic and kind.

Tony at the front desk was also really great, she was so sweet and listened to everything my mom had to say each day.

Everyone says Williamsburg is the new New York, and it is kind of true. You get an incredible New York experience at this hotel without the Manhattan snobbery.
Stay here forget Manhattan and see the best of Brooklyn!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Alistair M, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for writing such a nice review about the hotel and the team. The team strives to provide exceptional levels of service, so I'll be sure to celebrate their success on a job well done. Tony and Alberto are great assets to the team, so thank you very much for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I chose to stay here (despite the negative reviews about the pool and service) for the POOL - it was a "staycation" away from Manhattan for the July 4 weekend and my birthday.

Cons:
- The pool's management is a complete disaster. I (thought I) booked a bed for the Sunday with the pool manager, only to get to the pool at 10am to notice there were none left. There is disorganization amongst all involved - even the Sunday pool manager mentioned it to me.
- Breakfast at the Elm: service is extremely slow and not entirely friendly. If you mention you have breakfast included, it seems as if you get second class treatment.
- Packages: I bought a package through luxurylink.com, which was to include "a la carte" breakfast and 2 welcome cocktails. Not only did I have to specifically remind them of this (and be insistent on a number of occasions), but one of the breakfasts was "inadvertently" left on the bill.
- Room: We had to change rooms (originally room 208) at midnight after noise was coming from the pipes above. It would have been nice for the staff to recognize this issue from my first call - instead of promising to get an engineer (who had left for the day) to seemingly fix it. Also, be sure to check whether you have soap in the room (not only was it not there when we checked in, but they never replaced or gave us more... odd for a hotel of the class they allege to be).
- Rooftop bar: staff are rude - particularly when you say you have a free drink to use (they even go so far as to claim you cannot use it there!)

Pros:
- Due to all the "stuff-ups", we were showered with quite a few free drinks (and all were eventually honoured).
- The pool is nice when it isn't overcrowded - and the sun beds are great when you actually get one.
- Staff are nice when they are apologetic.
- The rooftop has great views - not nearly as good as at the Whythe.

Would I stay here again? Not likely - I'd rather stay at the Gaansvoort in the Meatpacking district if I want a pool!

Room Tip: Do not choose room 208 unless they have repaired the pipes/vents.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank orj7
Alistair M, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your stay was less than flawless. I have addressed your concerns with the appropriate leadership at the hotel as the consistency delivered during your experience is not up to our expectations. When your travels bring you back to NYC, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here for a wedding. The lobby was fully under construction. We were given no warning when we booked, even considering that we were part of a bridal party so we booked a ton of rooms. The gym was the lobby. Upon arrival, we see a small desk for check in, and nothing but gym equipment and people working out right below. Pretty awkward and uncomfortable coming thru in bridal dresses, and a bride who had a photographer following her around to only have sweaty people watching. Gross.

Beyond that, the rooms were tiny. I get that it is Brooklyn and space is tough to find but for the room was WAY overpriced for what you got. The bathrooms were nice and new, but there was nothing warm and or inviting about the hotel or the rooms.

We would not come back. But if you are looking to pay $500 for a 150 square foot closet of a room, then go for it. The location is good and there is lots to do in the neighborhood :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DeedlesP
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here when we went to visit our son who lives in Brooklyn. Yes, the area is full of hipsters, and the pool and roof bar cater to hipsters - but we fancy ourselves as old hipsters so we were very okay with the scene. The hotel is modern and well kept. The staff were friendly and polite. We liked our room which was sleek and clean . The decor was nice and the bed was very comfy. The bathroom was very modern and the toiletries were nice. It was not a large room, but was adequate- especially as we spent most of our time out of the hotel exploring the neighborhood. The location is excellent - near the restaurants and shops on bedford avenue and the side streets off bedford. We did not actailly hang out at the roof bar or use the pool, but we enjoyed watching the people in the pool from our room. They all looked like they were having fun and it was very civilized and calm. The roof top bar is nice- we popped in just to check it out - it gives a a nice view of manhattan. The music was good and people seemed to be happy to be there. We were not affected in our room by the noise from the music at all. It was definitely not too noisy and we had no problem getting in at night when the roof top bar was open.

All in all this is a good hotel and I would stay there again and recommend it to friends. I was pleasantly surprised because some of the comments were quite harsh and far from my reality. The management obviously took note of the issues and addressed them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Funke O

Thank you for writing such a nice review about your experience. The team strives hard to provide superior service to all of our guests and to create an up beat/inclusive atmosphere for everyone to enjoy. We look forward to having you back in the future and please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if there is anything I can do to assist.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel for young people! Loved the rooftop bar, and yes the pool was extremely crowded, they should block off a part of the pool for hotel guests for the entire day. The pool is open to just hotel guests from 9-11, but who's gonna go at that time? But overall a great time.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for such a great review of your experience. We look forward to continuing to provide great experiences and creating an environment for everyone to enjoy. When your travels bring you back to NYC, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so I can oversee your experience personally.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Spent my birthday weekend with my honey at this trendy hotel. Awesome bed, fantastic shower nozzle ladies, and great balcony with privacy, but service sucks. No towels in room, and when room service cleaned there were still NO towels.

Never got a chance to order room service because the kitchen closed early. Ordered ice, and had to call down twice.

Party party party revelers spat on floor in elevator and my date swore the workers kept coming to room in groups to check me out. I mean two servicers would show up to deliver towels. sup with that?!

We did not do the pool, but noticed the area was littered with people. Packed! so good luck if you you're trying to catch some sun!

Overpriced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for service. No complimentary anything!

This would be a great spot if the customers came first.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies that the attention to detail was not up to our expectations during your experience. I have shared your feedback with the leadership team here and your concerns will be addressed immediately. When your travels bring you back to NYC, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Regardless of how early you make it down to the pool. People have spots saved for the mom, best, friend and dead grandma who never show up. Pool manager doesn't care.

So fine you don't get a lounger so you grab a seat on the tiered benches ... Forget it ..you will get moved at 9:30am for a "private party".

What is the point of paying to stay here if you can enjoy the pool. Should have gotten a cheaper hotel - probably would have had better service and just paid for the "private party"

Guests come last after non guests. That's a first in my history of hotel stays.

Was really hoping the reviews about the pool service were not true. Sad to say it is

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Jpare1986
Alistair M, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies that the service you received was not up to the expectations of the hotel. As a hotel guest, your business is extremely valuable to us. I have shared your concerns with the leadership of the hotel and we will use your feedback to help us improve our performance. The next time you are in Williamsburg, please reach out to me directly so that I can ensure your experience is exceptional.