“One night for a wedding”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Overall a very comfortable hotel that features a pool that caters to the 30 something crowd. A very nice roof top lounge with outstanding views of lower Manhattan. Downside is the Bar at the pool has a very limited wine menu and there is a lot of street noise heard in the rooms. We were on the fourth floor. Otherwise great location and very safe area. Would stay again for sure.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank moranpc
Alistair M, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Thank you for your review. We take guest feedback very seriously as we are always striving to improve our guest experience. Our rooftop lounge, Sheltering Sky, does indeed have phenomenal views of the Manhattan Skyline and it is great you experienced them. I look forward to your future stays with us and hope to welcome you back with a greater wine selection.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My sister planned my bachelorette party at the hotel this past weekend and we had such a wonderful experience. Big thank you to the staff for their incredible work, helping us plan the perfect weekend. Chris in the front lobby was tremendous - helping us with our bags, logistics, bike rentals, recommendations... everything.

We also did a pool party package and Kristin the pool manager took such good care of us. She made all of our guests feel comfortable. It was the perfect way to spend the day.

I will definitely be coming back to visit soon, even though I live in the neighborhood!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 134Erica

Thank your for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. Chris and Kristin are a great asset to our team, and I am glad to hear you experienced the excellent level of service we aim for with every guest. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here with a few friends and family in August. My sister's room was next to a noisy bachelor party. She complained to the front desk and they remedied the situation immediately. The food at the pool is AMAZING. Great hotel staff and the hotel is in an amazing area. We walked to Bedford Street (lots of amazing restaurants) and to Brooklyn Bowl.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kaitlin H

Thank you for sharing your experience. At the McCarren Hotel & Pool we aim to transcend expectations and I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Our staff is always striving to remedy any complaint small or large, in order to enhance the guest experience. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I (and our baby!) spent the weekend here as a get-away from Manhattan. Emmanuel at reservations was a great help getting us exactly the right room, and crib, etc., and Toni was a big help at the front desk -- she even researched restaurants to our specifications. The hotel itself is lovely and the pool is a unique and wild scene. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Get a high floor with a balconey for a great view of the Manhattan skyline.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg L
Alistair M, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am thrilled to hear you and your family had a memorable stay with us. Our team always strives to go above and beyond for our guests' needs and I surely will commend Emmanuel and Toni on contributing to your great experience. I hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

If you call in advance and request a room with two beds you will arrive to find you have one very small room with a queen bed. Your room will not be available until very late in the afternoon and will not be cleaned while you are staying there until five or six pm but only if you beg. The cleaning person will then try to enter the room while you are trying to shower for dinner and then hide in the hallway cleaning closet until you leave. You will be rudely chased away from the pool because the top priority is for guests who are paying a day fee never mind what you are paying as an actual hotel "guest." When you attempt to enter the hotel in the evening you will be left standing in a security line due to non guests who are being screened for rooftop bar entry. You will not have access to the room refrigerator because it is full of high priced items they want to sell you. Worth the price? Not so much!

Room Tip: I hear the penthouse is nice but very pricey and you have to beg and remind that you need cleaning s...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zanzibar07
Alistair M, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback. At McCarren Hotel and Pool our guest feedback is extremely important for us to continue to review our performance. I have addressed your concerns with the leadership team here and we have created solutions to prevent others from having the same experience. The team strives hard to deliver exceptional service, so please accept my sincerest apologies that we did not meet this expectation during your stay. When your travels bring you back to Williamsburg, please reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My wife and I live in Brooklyn. She chose to spend a night in Williamsburg for our wedding anniversary; some place we could lounge by a pool with good food nearby. Our stay was from Sunday morning through mid-afternoon Monday. My wife left for work Monday morning but I stayed and worked remotely from poolside.

The pool area was jumping all day Sunday and filled up on Monday as well. The people we're fit and fashionable.

If I only rated the staff, it'd be five stars. The wait staff were friendly and fun. The concierge, Adriel Vidal, graciously arranged for my nice, shady poolside workstation in reach of the only available power outlet. The pool manager, Kristen Anderson, rescued our stay from what felt like an almost certain derailment (more on that in a sec.)

On the downside, food and drink turnaround time is very slow. Very. Food I can understand, but drinks...? I don't know what to attribute it to.

The near-derailment had to do with reserving a daybed. My wife chose the hotel primarily for the pool. She asked if daybeds can be reserved but the explanation given was that daybeds are reserved until 11am for guests on a first-come, first-served basis. We showed up at 10am (just to be safe) and were able to get one of the daybeds. Unfortunately, that's when we discovered that daybeds at 11am become RESERVED daybeds for whoever paid, guest or not,...which means those hotel guests have to vacate! Maybe they have a good business reason for this policy but we were stuck. As I mentioned, the place was jumping. We were faced with the likelihood of having to abort our reservation and try to go somewhere else. I don't know how, but the pool manager managed to accommodate us.

What turned out to be a very enjoyable anniversary came very close to 24 hours of weeping wife. I'm grateful it didn't go that route. We've already discussed going back and/or throwing some parties there.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JDSX

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Adriel is a key member of our team and works hard to provide our guests with a high level of service. When your travels bring you back to Williamsburg we look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have been staying in this hotel for awhile, both as the King & Grove and now the McCarren. Recently it has undergone a radical change, with new owners turning the lobby into a bar for patrons of the pool and making the pool itself a day spot for many people to enjoy. Last month it was a typically hot, New York week and the pool was hopping as people enjoyed the salt water pool; it was a fun spot to be. At night there is a popular bar on the rooftop which I visited during the day. What a view!
I was worried on arriving that some of my favorite staff members might have left, and some of them have, but whether it was a familiar face or someone new, I need not have worried. The staff here are what makes this hotel extra special.

As busy as it is at the front desk, Alberto and Matt seem to be everywhere, always with a smile and assistance for even the most minor things. As I visit my family in the neighborhood, I come and go frequently and so appreciate the friendly greeting I receive each time I return.
The restaurant is excellent and Nicola in the bar is, like all the staff, efficient, affable and knowledgeable. Just having something small with a lovely glass of wine at the bar is a special treat.
The rooms are small but stylish. I love the bathrooms and the open shower, with shampoo etc. that I actually like to use. They could provide a card indicating how the lights work as it takes awhile to figure out that design element and there never seem to be wash cloths but, if you call, they are brought up straight away. Efficient, and cheerful.
I know the hotel has been going thru some growing pains as it evolves into its new name and persona, no more so than the neighborhood itself which is changing and growing at a rapid pace, and they are doing a pretty great job of figuring it all out. I hope I can consider the McCarren my home away from home for a long time to come, I really enjoy it so much. But let's keep it our little secret ok? I want to be sure I can get a room when it is time to go back!

Room Tip: I enjoy the rear rooms, as it is fun to look out at the Pool, but rooms on the front face the park w...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Kay R

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. Alberto and Matt are exceptional members of the team so I will be sure to celebrate their success. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.