“Certainly one of the best steak houses in New York”
Review of Amber Steakhouse

Amber Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Amber Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #339 of 5,552 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 December 2012

When visiting New York, one of the main purposes is to find, in different ways, good restaurants. This time our plan was to have as excellent steaks as possible. We knew Peter Luger, so we had that kind of base for evaluation. We also knew that Amber Steakhouse should be good.
When walking there, the surroundings didn´t maybe look so inviting but after entering restaurant, everything seemed to be excellent. Staff was friendly and the interior was sophisticated. The national origin or roots at this restaurant might be Polish (or/ and Eastern Europe)? We didn´t know about the dress code wanted, but maybe you should have a little bit more elegant than wearing T-shirts and dirty jeans.
We ordered the Porter House for two persons (two kinds of fillet around T-form bone) and it was really good choice if thinking of our quest for excellent steaks. The size of this portion was enormous, so we really had to concentrate in eating. We had at least what we expected to have. One could say that at Amber Steakhouse you can eat at least as good steaks as Peter Luger offers but paying only one third.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

My colleague and I found this place a few months ago and have been going there ever since! First time we went here for lunch it was a pain. With the road construction going on outside (until now) parking was hard to find. We ended up parking a few blocks down and walked to the place in the heat. Once inside, we were surprised to find how formal it was. We felt like we shouldn't be there since we were covered in sweat and not wearing a button down shirt and tie. The place smells like a walk-in humidor. We were seated on a table right next to the window and then was given an onion roll each. What we ordered was from the lunch menu and we got the 8oz steak with fries, salad and eggs. When we got our order, we were caught off guard to find a $12 steak to be of awesome quality. The steak was GREAT! This type of steak you won't even find less than $20 somewhere else!

On another occasion I decided to try the lunch menu burger. That was good too! Just like the lunch steak, it was great. After our first time there, we decided that this place will be our Friday lunch place. Just a great way to end a hectic work week. Great food and portioned right.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I was brought here by a "local" and I was very pleasantly surprised. This place bills itself as a steakhouse, but everyone in my party ordered dishes other than steaks. Everyone was very pleased with their meals.

This place is rather elegant without being snooty about it. Causal elegance, I would call it. No need to dress up, though.

The noise level was subdued so we didn't have to worry about shouting over loud music. Very conversation friendly. We also got out of there without a huge dent in my wallet.

My only criticism was that the front entrance was not wheelchair accessible. That was a problem for us as one person in our party was in a wheelchair. We had some difficulty entering the restaurant because of that, and nobody from the staff came to either help us or to tell us about any alternative accessible entrances, despite the fact that we arrived early and there were no other patrons in the dining room when we arrived. We only learned as we were leaving that a side entrance is wheelchair accessible

Other than the accessibility issue, I had no complaints at all about this choice.

1  Thank SailorJon11
Reviewed 9 April 2012

-Gr8 food
-Awesome staff
-Nice atmosphere

PS.try a burger, seriously

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have lived in Greenpoint, Brooklyn my entire life and this was a great addition to the neighborhood. Great tasting steaks that won't empty out your wallet. If your a seafood lover, you will love this place as well. Great mussels/clams/shrimp. Highly recommended. The New York Times compares these steaks to Peter Luger's! I will be back.