“Excellent frozen yogurt and bubble tea”

Swirl Fun Frozen Yogurt
Ranked #104 of 129 Dessert in Brooklyn
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I had original tart yogurt with mango and mochi for stay , and I order apple green tea to take home. They are so good! The place is very neat and comfortable. The staff there are nice. I will strong recommend SWIRL FUN if you are looking for good frozen yogurt and bubble tea place.

1  Thank Ryan L
Reviewed 23 May 2012

POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE & SANITATION!!!

Yesterday on my way home from my kick boxing class, I decided to try the newly opened (or at least that is what they advertised) frozen yogurt and bubble tea shop across 86th street, Swirl Fun Frozen Yogurt. I have tried many other frozen yogurt brands and figure I would give this establishment a fair shake. My dear friend, had purchased from this shop before, so I thought it would be a good experience. I WAS WRONG.

On first appearance the shop seemed a bit lackluster when compared to Yogo Monster, Pinkberry, Red Mango, Flavaboom, and other authentic bubble tea or frozen yogurt shops in the city. It seemed a bit empty, lacking any sprucing and ambience. I entered with a smile and approached the gentleman who was serving customers ahead of me. My first question was simple yet direct, “Excuse me sir, do you accept debit or credit cards?” He quickly confirmed that yes they do accept cards and asked what would I like? My immediate gut reaction was to make it fast, order something small and move on with my evening. So I placed my order for a small original frozen yogurt. While placing my order I could not help but notice that there was a little girl, no older than 5 years old playing in all of the fruit and other topping items. She was clearly too young to be an employee and if I had to take a guess, I bet she was the daughter of the man or the women collecting payment. Never once did the man serving tell the child that she should not touch or be hanging over the eatable toppings. Her insanitary hands, and ponytail hung over the toppings as she grabbed each topping spoon and mixed the juices from one topping to the next. Beyond this being a HUGE violation of sanitation, I am just wondering how the manager/owner can think it is a good idea to have a minor behind the food serving area and allow her to play with the toppings they turn around and charge customers. If they are unaware children do not belong in a food prep area further more a servicing food area where customers select open air fruits for frozen yogurt! Where is the NY City or State inspector?

It gets worse… After my last observation, I was less excited about the overall experience, but still felt like I should pay and probably not return if that is their normal child care situation. Then while trying to pay I noticed that the two girls in front of me in line were experiencing problems paying with their card and I overheard the woman collecting payment say “enjoy and have a seat”. In my mind, I figured they paid and maybe the machine was just experiencing a slight glitch. However, when I tried to pay with my debit card, the woman tried to explain to me that she was having trouble with the machine. She ran my card twice through the machine and was unable to take payment. I then explained that I attend kick boxing class across the street and would stop back in and pay them with cash or just return and make good on this free (due to their set back) one time yogurt.

Well I couldn’t have been any more on the wrong side of right. She coldly looked and told me, “No you can not have it, you have to leave it here!” I then asked her “Why is that the case when you have to throw it away, you can’t serve it to someone else?” She replied, “Yes I will throw it away, but sorry you can’t have it.” I did not and do not want a free handout but was very perplexed when she told me this, because the two girls ahead of me also did not pay and she let them have their yogurt. I think the right thing to do was to give the customer (me) the yogurt then make an announcement with signage that the credit card machine was down and that only cash would be accepted going forward. But, nope that also did not happen.

So this is my WARNING…DO NOT SUPPORT THIS CRUMMY BUSINESS. THEY exhibited POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, POOR DECISION MAKING, and POOR SANITATION! Despite the insanitary practices and long wait to pay since their machine stopped operating, I was willing to support their mediocre business because it was new and had a neighborhood, family-run appeal. Going forward, I WILL NOT SUPPORT Swirl Fun Frozen Yogurt due to this incident last night and will not recommend it to anyone I know or anyone who attends my kick boxing class across the street. Maybe next time, they will understand that when the customer is not at fault that you simply have to take the loss.

1  Thank CamilleCares
Reviewed 23 May 2012

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!

I have stopped at this location to purchase frozen yogurt after my kick boxing class two times prior to coming into this establishment yesterday which unfortunately was my last time. Yesterday my friend wanted to get a yogurt after our kickboxing class so we stopped inside. Prior to ordering my friend asked the gentleman behind the counter if they excepted credit/debit card and the gentleman provided her with an affirmative answer and then he proceeded to take her order.

As he was preparing her yogurt and asking her what toppings I noticed that there was a young girl approximately 5 years old behind the counter playing with the spoons that are used for the toppings and putting some of the juices from some toppings into other toppings and at no point did the gentleman stop the child, instead he would just pass over her. I do not know about anyone else but I find this to be unsanitary and I believe children who are not of age to work have no business being behind the counter interfering with open food. They should be put to sit at the side.

After he presented my friend with her order I noticed that the lady behind the register was having problems with the credit card machine as she was ringing up the customer ahead of us. The lady behind the counter told the young lady that she will call her back to the counter when the machine begins to work. The young lady then went to sit down with her friend to enjoy their yogurt.

When it was my friend's turn the lady tried to run her debit card and was not successful and then attempted to run two cards belonging to the gentleman and neither was successful. She then proceeded to ask my friend if she had cash which my friend apologized and said that she asked prior to ordering if you accepted credit/debit. At no point did the woman behind the counter apologize. She provided a blank stare and told my friend she would have to give back the yogurt.

I really have to question what type of business do you have if it is your fault that you are not able to make the sale on a perishable item and you proceed to they have to give back the item? Especially when you allowed the customer in front of her to sit down and enjoy her two items and to add insult to injury you throw the item away. My friend wasn't looking for a free bee but I would think that the appropriate thing would be to let her keep the yogurt that was already melting at this time and hope that she would return at another time and make a purchase because your costumer service was great.

My friend was even willing to support your business despite the fact that you had this young child interfering in the toppings. I think this business needs to invest in customer service training and a new credit card machine. I would not support this business due to this incident last night and the fact that you are not sanitary.

Prior to my experience yesterday evening I was pleased with the yogurt considering what is available in the area. The original flavor yogurt is average with and the store has a variety of toppings and is also reasonably priced with special s on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

This place is new, opened 2 months ago, frozen yogurt and bubble teas. I tried the coconut bubble tea. I like the bubble teas that are more like frozen smoothies, this place makes it like milk with ice cubes and multicolored tapioca balls (green, black and yellow). It was ok, I’ve had bubble teas like this before and the price is reasonable, $3.00 for a Medium. I got a punch card with one stamp, after 10 stamps you get a free drink. The cashier also gave me several coupons for future visits, 30% off a bubble tea that I plan on using for a future visit. I like the decor, very fun and bright, vibrant colors. I would definitely come here again.

1  Thank QueenoftheHighways