“Magnificent!”

The Box House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
“Magnificent!”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I've never stayed at a more individual hotel. It is absolutely incredible how clean, modern, and beautiful the hotel was. The staff is friendly and very knowledgable. Also they have these cool checker taxi cabs that will take you anywhere and everywhere in New York!! All in all the best hotel I have ever stayed at!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Jtorres9998

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Larvik, Norway
Reviewed 7 August 2012

It saddens me to write this, but there is no way around it after the way this episode with The Box House management went down.

My wife and I arrived late Saturday evening after flight delays and a loong day of travel from LA to NYC. Looking very much forward to a bed in what is deemed a promising hotel by other TripAdvisors. Only to find that there is no reservation for us and the hotel is fully booked. I show my confirmation mail sent directly from the hotel and the confusion grows.
After some checking and calling the ladies in the reception, who by the way did do their best for us, tells us that our reservation was cancelled by a former employee no longer working there. Apparently on the cause that I first booked with Agoda, cancelled it and booked again directly with them(got a way better deal this way).
BUT, there was never sent a cancellation mail to me. And the cancellation was certainly not something I wanted.

So they start calling around for an alternate hotel. Big wedding weekend makes our choices fewer and fewer. We ask for the Box House to cover any difference in price for a hotel similar to theirs, as we did have a reservation with them and a total price we wanted to stick with. After some conferring with management(which I understand is not to happy being bothered late on a Saturday) we are told that the best they can do is cover taxi fare to our new hotel. Tired and exhausted we decide to leave this matter open until we talk to management ourselves. We end up at a hotel in lower east side Manhattan and are told it's of the same standard as theirs, but with a 100 $ higher price per night. Not having seen other than pictures of the Box House rooms I can't believe that's true. Our new hotel was with ice cold interior and the room we got was right next to a very popular night club. That's not Box House's fault, but we decide to move the next day after finding something more for our taste.

We receive a mail from Box house saying that the manager would like to meet with us on Monday when they are back in office from 9am. Come Monday we announce our arrival around 11am, but when we get there none of the managers are in. One is on the way we're told, but it takes 50 minutes before we see anyone.

We tell our story to the manager and explain that we hope that they see this as their fault, not ours. We ask that they reimburse us for the first night, so that they might come out of this on the good side. The counter argument from the hotels side is that they transferred back our deposit money at that we should have picked up on this. That way the matter could have been resolved early. I see that this is a convenient argument, but the fact still remains that they cancelled our reservation without notice. When you do so you can't rely on the customer to pick this up automatically. We booked at a time where many other hotels for the rest of the vacation were also booked and re-booked after finding better deals. The fact that I didn't pick up a returned deposit was unfortunate, but not a guilt free pass for The Box House.

After pleading our case the manager agreed to forward our request to the owner since he himself didn't have the power to make the decision on reimbursing our first night. We we're promised a mail by the end of his work day as an update. Writing this a week later we still haven't heard a single word from The Box House, and frankly I don't think we will.

I'm gravely disappointed with this matter and expected otherwise from such a praised hotel. It seems like a great place when everything runs smoothly, but when there is troubled situations the management fail in a big way. This is what separates the great hotels from the second best. The ability to handle difficult situations.

Room Tip: Double, triple and quadruple check your reservation I guess:/
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
31 Thank Torgrim S
BoxHouseHotel, Manager at The Box House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
We are truly sorry for the complications that occurred during your trip to New York. Due to exceptional confusion stemming from multiple cancelations and bookings we were unable to accommodate your stay with us.

The Box House Hotel
Accordiongirl
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Chose this spot to be near our son and his girlfriend in Greenpoint. What a wonderful and quirky place! I mean that in the very best way. The kitchen was great for cooking a Saturday night meal with all of us. The beds were great and the decorating was unique and fun. The Box House staff were all pleasant and helpful. The semi parked and running at 2:30 AM while it was apparently being loaded at a nearby warehouse was the only complaint. It is however, a warehouse district and that happened only one of the 3 nights we stayed. This is a spot worth returning to.

Room Tip: Rooms at street level may have more traffic noise
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I honestly couldn't be happier with my stay at the box house hotel. It was close to everything I needed, the area is divine and the apartment itself (111) is the kind of place I'd live in.
The staff were fantastic and everything was clean and quiet.
Subway line 7 was less than a 10 minute walk across the pulski bridge and I was leaving in the evenings and I felt completely safe the entire time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Kylie S
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 28 July 2012

All the amenities of staying in a furnished apartment/loft with most of the service you'd expect from a hotel (and some extras you wouldn't expect). I stayed here using a Groupon and had a one-bed loft. The bed was very amazingly comfortable, so I make special mention of it. As promised, the place was clean, well-decorated, and had enough kitchenware to get by if you wanted to cook (but who wants to cook with all the food in Brooklyn?). Having two large flat-screen tv within 10 ft of each other seemed like a real luxury. Also, the vintage cab ride to the subway was free and much appreciated. I might suggest an eye mask and ear plugs for sleeping though - I'm a suburban girl and not used to much noise and light at night.

The only other thing I would advise is transport to and from the subway "after hours." The cab driver doesn't start until 10am, and I don't know what time he leaves, but it was definitely before I was ready to turn in for the night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank bbyron
Moscow
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Box house for a week in july 2012. Pluses: nicely decorated rooms, excellent value for money, 8 blocks to nearest subway station, plenty of parking outside, comfortable firm mattresses, cutlery in the kitchen.
Minuses: when at night someone walks or talks in the corridor, feels like they are in your room. It's that noisy!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tabuleh
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I recently went on my first ever road trip to New York. I was looking for a hotel on the way there and this was very highly recommended for families. There were five of us so I did not want to be stuck in an overpriced tiny hotel room in Manhattan. We were shocked at how huge the rooms are at the Box House Hotel, its like having a fully stocked and furnished apartment. We had such a great experience during our short stay that I would not stay anywhere else when I go back to visit. The only downside to my stay was being suprised to find a $60 parking ticket when we were leaving on checkout day (the parking is confusing and sparse). Other than that, this was easily the best hotel Iv'e ever stayed in, especially with my large family.

Room Tip: Try to get an inside room because the streetlights dont allow your room to get dark at night and the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family