“Wow! Better than I could have imagined!”

The Box House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wow! Better than I could have imagined!”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Thank you Box House for making my trip to Brooklyn unforgettable. This urban oasis turned out to be an ideal quiet place for my family and I to rest after our long adventures throughout New York City. The staff was helpful and accommodating in helping us with directions and directing us to some fabulous small local restaurants. The Box House has huge suites that actually look better in person in the pictures found online. How about that for a change! They also had a great computer area that my daughter was able to use just off the lobby while me and my wife had some quiet time in the room. We felt totally comfortable knowing the front desk staff was close by to keep an eye on her. Another treat is to take a ride in their cool original NYC checker cabs, lot's of fun and a great photo opportunity for family memories. Thanks again Box House! We will be sure to come back!

1 Thank David M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This hotel was imaculate. Linens and beds were awsome. Fridge could have been a bit bigger we couldn't fit a big jug of milk in it so we had to take some shelves out. If we do this again we would stay in Manhattan. We spent about $250.00 on cab fare back and forth. The area is very industrial but seemed safe. The staff are very friendly.

3 Thank 23Monique
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My wife and I (we are both 37) usually stay with relatives on Manhattan, but there was no room at 'their inn' last week so they put us up at this hotel for a four day weekend (Manhattan was waaayyy too pricey). Worked out really nicely, as we got treated to a great change of pace. The hotel is really artsy and classy, but without coming across as pretentious (being from non-cutting edge Boston, this is something we were worried about). Actually, the artwork and quirky furniture in the foyer, halls, and room were the coolest part of the place. All the other requisites (big TV; comfy bed; fully stocked kitchen; great shower pressure; etc) were great.
The neighborhood is quiet, almost too quiet, but it's up & coming, and the metro that take you into Manhattan is a 5-10 minute walk away. There are also some good Japanese and Thai restaurants nearby. There's supposed to be easy parking, but we didn't have a car (there's also a relatively inexpensive car service, but we didn't use that either). Not sure if I'll be staying at a hotel in NYC again anytime soon, but I'd definitely recommend this place for those that are.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that has a view of the Manhattan skyline. It won't be like the movies, but it...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rkfrace
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Recently my friends and I had the pleasure of staying at "The Box House Hotel", we were quite surprised, THE HOTEL IS SIMPLY AMAZING, It took us sometime to decide which hotel we would stay at in Brooklyn, but after reading many reviews, looking at photos and taking the hotel's overall rating into consideration we picked The Box House Hotel. The rooms are really amazing, very spacious, cozy, warm and ultra clean. We stayed in the loft duplex and our friend had the two bedroom suite both had hugh terraces with stunning view of Manhattan. The staff was extremely professional and helpful in booking events and tours for us. The hotel provides FREE use of the business and fitness center, the sauna and wi-fi, things that most hotels commonly charge for. Oh the Checker Cabs they have are amazing and a lot of fun too, so make sure you ask about them. We will never stay anywhere else, THE BOX HOUSE is THE perfect choice.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Loft Duplex our friends had the two bedroom suite, both are excellent choices
2 Thank eeast71
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I've never stayed at a more individual hotel. It is absolutely incredible how clean, modern, and beautiful the hotel was. The staff is friendly and very knowledgable. Also they have these cool checker taxi cabs that will take you anywhere and everywhere in New York!! All in all the best hotel I have ever stayed at!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Jtorres9998
Larvik, Norway
Reviewed 7 August 2012

It saddens me to write this, but there is no way around it after the way this episode with The Box House management went down.

My wife and I arrived late Saturday evening after flight delays and a loong day of travel from LA to NYC. Looking very much forward to a bed in what is deemed a promising hotel by other TripAdvisors. Only to find that there is no reservation for us and the hotel is fully booked. I show my confirmation mail sent directly from the hotel and the confusion grows.
After some checking and calling the ladies in the reception, who by the way did do their best for us, tells us that our reservation was cancelled by a former employee no longer working there. Apparently on the cause that I first booked with Agoda, cancelled it and booked again directly with them(got a way better deal this way).
BUT, there was never sent a cancellation mail to me. And the cancellation was certainly not something I wanted.

So they start calling around for an alternate hotel. Big wedding weekend makes our choices fewer and fewer. We ask for the Box House to cover any difference in price for a hotel similar to theirs, as we did have a reservation with them and a total price we wanted to stick with. After some conferring with management(which I understand is not to happy being bothered late on a Saturday) we are told that the best they can do is cover taxi fare to our new hotel. Tired and exhausted we decide to leave this matter open until we talk to management ourselves. We end up at a hotel in lower east side Manhattan and are told it's of the same standard as theirs, but with a 100 $ higher price per night. Not having seen other than pictures of the Box House rooms I can't believe that's true. Our new hotel was with ice cold interior and the room we got was right next to a very popular night club. That's not Box House's fault, but we decide to move the next day after finding something more for our taste.

We receive a mail from Box house saying that the manager would like to meet with us on Monday when they are back in office from 9am. Come Monday we announce our arrival around 11am, but when we get there none of the managers are in. One is on the way we're told, but it takes 50 minutes before we see anyone.

We tell our story to the manager and explain that we hope that they see this as their fault, not ours. We ask that they reimburse us for the first night, so that they might come out of this on the good side. The counter argument from the hotels side is that they transferred back our deposit money at that we should have picked up on this. That way the matter could have been resolved early. I see that this is a convenient argument, but the fact still remains that they cancelled our reservation without notice. When you do so you can't rely on the customer to pick this up automatically. We booked at a time where many other hotels for the rest of the vacation were also booked and re-booked after finding better deals. The fact that I didn't pick up a returned deposit was unfortunate, but not a guilt free pass for The Box House.

After pleading our case the manager agreed to forward our request to the owner since he himself didn't have the power to make the decision on reimbursing our first night. We we're promised a mail by the end of his work day as an update. Writing this a week later we still haven't heard a single word from The Box House, and frankly I don't think we will.

I'm gravely disappointed with this matter and expected otherwise from such a praised hotel. It seems like a great place when everything runs smoothly, but when there is troubled situations the management fail in a big way. This is what separates the great hotels from the second best. The ability to handle difficult situations.

Room Tip: Double, triple and quadruple check your reservation I guess:/
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
31 Thank Torgrim S
BoxHouseHotel, Manager at The Box House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
We are truly sorry for the complications that occurred during your trip to New York. Due to exceptional confusion stemming from multiple cancelations and bookings we were unable to accommodate your stay with us.

The Box House Hotel
Accordiongirl
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Chose this spot to be near our son and his girlfriend in Greenpoint. What a wonderful and quirky place! I mean that in the very best way. The kitchen was great for cooking a Saturday night meal with all of us. The beds were great and the decorating was unique and fun. The Box House staff were all pleasant and helpful. The semi parked and running at 2:30 AM while it was apparently being loaded at a nearby warehouse was the only complaint. It is however, a warehouse district and that happened only one of the 3 nights we stayed. This is a spot worth returning to.

Room Tip: Rooms at street level may have more traffic noise
2 Thank Mary M