“Warning - Do not trust this hotel”

The Box House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We booked the 'loft suite with terrace city view' through Travelocity (full payment made upfront) but we were contacted by the Hotel a few days later to say that this room was 'not available' and we would have to pay considerably more for an alternative room. After several emails to the Hotel they eventually agreed to let us have an alternative room at no extra cost (which was great - so we thought) but 3 weeks later the Hotel sent a cancellation email totally out of the blue without discussing it with us first or explaining the reasons why. After I contacted them they said the price we paid through Travelocity was wrong and they could no longer honour the room at that rate (they wanted $400 more). I asked for a full refund and for the name of the manager so that I could make a formal complaint - I am still waiting (it has been 5 days). Travelocity didn't even know that the Hotel had cancelled the booking but fortunately Travelocity have been really helpful (thank goodness). I would never trust The Box House Hotel ever again so please think twice before parting with your money (the way the Hotel handled this situation was very sneaky and unprofessional).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
15  Thank Sal012
BoxHouseHotel, Manager at The Box House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Sal012,

I deeply regret the confusion surrounding the reservation you had made for the New Year's Holiday later this year. The rate that you received from Travelocity was incorrect and was in no way authorized by us. We have repeatedly tried to contact Travelocity to try and figure out how this error occurred, but, despite our many attempts they would not work with us to rectify their error. Unfortunately, this left us no choice but to cancel the reservation. I am very glad to hear that finally Travelocity has been helpful, as they are the party who accepted and had all payments, and could have worked with us to remedy the situation from the beginning. We are a very small boutique hotel with a customer first mentality and are sorry that you were the victim of the error Travelocity made.

The Box House Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

We had such an amazing time in NYC it was great, made better by our apartment which was faultless! The Box House is an old factory thats been split up into really nice, modern apartments which feels like a home away from home. They have a oven dishwasher etc and 2 massive TVs which both have cable with all the good channels including all the movie ones!

Greenpoint is a really good area to with much better bars then Manhattan and a much younger inderpendant feel like nearby Williamsburg.
The staff are really friendly and they also offer a free taxi service anywhere within about a mile which was a nice touch. I would defiantly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank willmudie
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I chose this place in Brooklyn as we are a grown up family of four. Prices on manhattan are just out of control for small hotel rooms and then the thought of renting two rooms would have broken the bank. Our spacious room at the Box Hotel was on a corner of the building (rm 202)looking out at the manhattan skyline. It was plenty large for our family of four and included a big flat screen tv, lots of windows, a small kitchenette with refrigerator and a really large, private outdoor patio. The style and design here is really great and the hotel shuttles-restored old taxis- will drive you for free anywhere within a mile of the hotel. I will stay here again...in fact my wife insists that next time we visit NYC without our adult children that we stay here. The subway is within walking distance across bridge and just two stops from Times Square. There is not daily maid service which was a bit unusual but I did not notice until it was pointed out to me by one of the kids. We did have a car which we parked on the street with no problem. There is no formal or valet parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bridge side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank duetravelers
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed in the duplex loft suite with city view in June 2013 and I struggle to find anything negative to say about this hotel, the room was wonderful with everything you need and the air conditioning was an absolute life-saver, can't imagine NYC in the summer with no air con! The view was fab, the beds comfortable (even the sofa bed which we used for half of the stay (due to swapping with friends for the bed to be 'fair) was very comfy and I had no problems sleeping, even with the busy traffic bridge by the hotel (and I am usually a very light sleeper). The free cab service was brilliant and they took us to nearby Williamsburgh free of charge which was great. Hotel itself is about 10/15 mins easy walk to nearest subway and it is just one stop to Grand Central Terminal, so an ideal base if you want to stay outside of the city (which I really recommend as you get so much more room for your buck!) but still within easy access to all the sights etc.

All in all a brilliant hotel and I would definitely stay there again if I ever returned to NYC! Thanks Box House :)

Room Tip: Would really recommend a city view room - nothing quite like gazing out over Manhattan at night time...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kim S
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We have just returned from a one week stay at this lovely hotel. The purpose of our visit from London was to help to plan and then attend the funeral of a close family member in Brooklyn. Without exception the staff were all friendly, supportIive and patient. The suites do not have a telephone, (in normal circumstances this would have not been significant), so we were regularly making and receiving calls on the main telephone at reception. This must have been really inconvenient for the staff but they remained professional and friendly at all times.

It was a busy time for the hotel but the longest we ever had to wait for the curtesy taxi was 10 minutes. The taxis are truly special.

The accomodation is very clean and modern. We loved the high ceilings and the trendy dressing of the rooms. Although the hotel stresses that there is no daily housekeping, the bins are emptied, the bathroom cleaned and the bed made daily.

By the way Wi fi is free at the hotel.

Prior to visiting I noticed that many of the reviews mentioned the surrounding streets. They are quiet but not in an intimidating way. I felt safe at all times. Bars and cafes are within walking distance as is the bus stop. The Green Point Subway station is also within walking distance although the curtesy car will drop you off or pick you up from there. There are quite a few restaurants close to the Vernon Avenue subway station as well.

Finally, the staff - for us they really made the stay special. They were all warm and welcoming and nothing seemed to be too much. Truly sensational people. I have to give a special mention to Janeeka who just shone.

Thank you everyone at The Box House. We will definitely be back. Lets just hope that with such an amazing place the high demand does not cause the prices to rise too much as at the moment it is fantastic value for money.

B. Thomas

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank B-TH0MA5
Reviewed 22 August 2013

What a wonderful find! Sets the bar for cool & trendy.
I truly enjoyed my stay and appreciated the professional and friendly staff. Can't say enough about interior decor, just beautiful... boho chic!
The very spacious apartment style room with high ceilings had all the comforts of home, especially with a fully equipped kitchen. Attention to detail is unparalleled and the sparkling clean rooms did not go unnoticed.
Look forward to returning!!!!

Room Tip: ask for room with terrace
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I loved the hotel - from the old Box-taxis to the decor - all was perfect! The area is in the process of upgrading, so there are a couple of small, but hip restaurants (Milk & Roses) and the best coffee shop (Eagle Coffee Company) in the vicinity. We stayed in a loft with my 20 year old son on a second holiday to New York. The ferry service and the metro service to Manhattan was easy. And being driven in the old Box-taxis was a treat! I will go back any time!

• Stayed: August 2013