“Worst hotel , very disapointed!”
Review of Sumner Hotel

Sumner Hotel
Ranked #38 of 57 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Worst hotel , very disapointed!”
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I had to go to NYC to meet a friend and spend the weekend there. So I called Sumner Hotel a week before and reserved a room for 2. I went out to Manhattan and came back pretty late that night, the room was cold since we are in November and NYC is pretty a cold place, so we turned the heater on but we didn't get any heat. I went to talk to the front desk and informed the guy about the heater situation, he said he will send someone. After 15 minutes, a guy came in to check the heat, he assumed he fixed it and told me to leave it on that mode it should warm up. But again it didn't work, so I went back to the guy at the front desk and told him that the heater is still not working so he answered back with a rude tone saying: "I already told someone to check it for you" , he had no idea that this guy came, so I answered back "why are you yelling at me? The operator guy came and it is still not working". Then he came himself to check it out he stayed like 10 minutes trying to figure out what's wrong and finally he said "just leave the heater on this mode it just needs time to warm up". We took his advise and waited for an hour but again nothing happened. So the next day I had to inform the front desk lady that the heater is not working in my room,she said we will figure it out. So when I came back that night it was 3 am next day . they were setting up a a space heat!! Why would they decide at 3 am to put the space heat!? And they said we hope this heat will warm your room while we move you out tomorrow, which was my last day. Next day, I had to leave but my friend stayed at the hotel, so when he went back to the room during evening time, while he was using his laptop , suddenly water start dripping from the top!! He recorded the video of the dripping.
After that , they had to move my friend to a different room.
I would highly recommend not staying at this hotel. Its not worth it and it was expensive, you can def pay a little more and stay in Manhattan in good hotel.
Oh, above this food was very disappointing!
The only good thing about it is its location, 2 minutes walking to the subway.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank NaSl87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed in Sumner Hotel as my house was flooded in hurricane sandy. Room was clean with good smell but had stains in bedsheets. Front desk were quite uncomfortable with us and talked to much in foreign language behind glass. But they were helpful after all. Small parking lot for 4 cars. Street parking is pain in day time. They have no concept of "Do Not Disturb" sign. Neither maids had any knowledge how DND looks or what it is. Lots of foods to eat around ( Taco Bell, McD, good local mostly hispanic food ). We never tried breakfast as it was flooded with guests. They proudly serves 3 hrs and 4 hrs stay to anyone.
Overall, its ok to stay there if u have no other choice. Cant really expect much.

Room Tip: Check your bed sheets and dont expect for DND sign.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mikeinblue
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We booked this as an affordable hotel for a trip to New York. Its really handily placed for the Flushing Avenue metro station which is just around the corner and can get you into Manhattan in 15 minutes. The area is perhaps not the greatest, but then we didn't have any problems and there are some useful shops nearby.

The hotel itself is new and modern, and nicely decorated. Rooms are a good size with all the amenities you should need including a tv and air conditioning.

The only real negative I had with the hotel is the breakfast room, its far too small for all the guests staying at the hotel, and the choice of foods is quite disappointing.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Spent 10 nights at the Sumner as it was much cheaper than hotels in Manhattan, only 4 stops on L-train. The room was a good size, however they could be a little cleaner. The breakfast room is very small and sometimes we had trouble finding a seat. They don't begin serving breakfast until 7:30 which is a little late, especially if you want to get into Manhattan early. The neighbourhood was not the nicest and would not recommend going out much after dark.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2012

large comfortable and clean room. excellent bathroom.
breakfast area too small, cues likely. Plastic disposable plates and cutlery. breakfast selection doesn't inspire but I developed a liking for the fresh wafflels.
Neighbourhood outside appears a bit rough. It didn't want me to go out and explore.

Room Tip: top floor room has a good view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ottotravels
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

Firstly it is a cheap hotel in NYC so don't expect to much. It's located really close to a wheel chair accessible subway station (great if u have luggage) and has lots of useful cheaper stores and family restaurants near by. It is not in the nicest neighbourhood but for the price u would not expect that. Breakfast is very basic and the eating area is extremely cramped - easiest to just take back up to your room or go to ihop across the road. Clean, rooms serviced daily, common areas of a nice standard. They do rent rooms out for less than a full night however which means there are some pretty dodgy characters waiting around in the lobby. One day I needed to talk to the front desk and lined up behind a surprisingly eloquent crack head who rented a room for about 4 hours for $95, it was pretty gross though as he had all these big sores full of liquid on his face that he was absentmindedly picking and playing with. It was disgusting as I was worried he would pop one and the pus would get on me. Also I did get really annoyed one day when we had to move rooms because the toilet broke (we were there for 7 days) and they put us in a smoking room that stunk, it was on the second floor, there were ash trays in it too etc and no non smoking signs and we asked if we could be moved to a non smoking room and the manager (an Indian lady called minaliah or something similar to that) FLAT OUT lied and said it WAS a non smoking room. We insisted it stunk of smoke and she moved us to a room on a higher floor that did not have ash trays in it and had non smoking rooms signs Hard to recommend something when they straight out lie to your face.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank GarlickBread
boca raton
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The hotel is a new, quite pleasant three star but if you plan to party in manhattan and come back after 9:00 p.m. absolutely do not stay there. Neighborhood is dangerous. I am a former new yorker coming back to visit. The hotel was a good value for me but I only planned to go into msnattan in the daytime.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo