“Cute Hotel right off the subway”
Review of Sumner Hotel

Sumner Hotel
Ranked #40 of 59 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I stayed here for the night at a reasonable price because I didn't want to get a room in the city. I arrived about an hour before check-in and was told I had to wait until after 3pm to do so. I didn't really like that at all. The hotel didn't seem busy, and it seemed like management didn't care that I had to wait almost an hour and a half to check-in, all he said was "walk around until your room is ready". I didn't mind walking around, the hotel is right off the subway with many shops to look around in. It was starting to rain so I walked back to the hotel to find that my room still wasn't ready, so I waited about two hours all together. The room was ok, your average king room. The bathroom smelled, so I wasn't happy about that. I got a call later that evening from the front desk to remind me about breakfast, I was looking forward to that. The next morning a got up early to pack and then went to enjoy breakfast, or what they call their "continental" breakfast. I was very disappointed. Only wheat bread, oranges, bananas, and a waffle maker was the options to choose from, with your assorted juices of course, so I passed. I more then likely will not stay here again. The one good thing about this hotel is the pizza place across the street. AWESOME PIZZA!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Ashleigh M

Reviewed 17 December 2012

We expected a no-frills hotel, which we got. We didn't expect to be woken up at midnight by a man claiming to be with hotel management who demanded that we open the door without any explanation. It turns out he was helping a previous guest retrieve some belongings she had left in a closet -- at midnight! We had been woken out of our sleep, half-dressed, and treated like dirt by a rude and hostile hotel employee who demanded that we let another stranger into our room. The front desk said they were acting out of "courtesy" to the previous guest, with no show of courtesy to us. They said the hotel manager couldn't be woken at that hour. Again, we did not get that consideration. It was a frightening experience we don't care to repeat. We did not feel safe in this hotel or trust its management.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank dollface0821
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Stayed here for three nights last week. I run a non profit endeavor, and our budget is right. New York City travel is hard for us because lodging is so much more expensive than any other city (even more than San Francisco). I booked this for the savings and took a risk on the&e "sketchy " neighborhood I kept reading about. I nervously got off the Subway at about 3 AM, expecting to hurry through a dimly lit and lonely dark alley, hoping to arrive safely at the hotel.

Imagine my surprise to instead find a cheerfully lit neighborhood, decorated for the holidays, charming by New York City standards complete with a 24 hour transit info desk, security, a police presence, plenty of foot traffic of all ages and income levels (even at 3 AM! ), a 24 hour Christmas Tree vendor, and a 24 hour deli (with great made to order food! ). Not sketchy at all for an urban city like Brooklyn.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was again pleasantly surprised to find a modern hotel, obviously recently built, very clean, a great room with a nice view of the neighborhood all the way to the water. Truthfully MUCH better than I expected. True, I wouldn't call it fancy. Yes, the lobby is small. But who cares ? You aren't visiting New York to loiter in a hotel lobby. As for breakfast, usethe vast savings on the room rate to buy a steak across the street at IHOP.

Bottom line: Great option for New York City. Very convenient with the Subway less than a block away. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I had to go to NYC to meet a friend and spend the weekend there. So I called Sumner Hotel a week before and reserved a room for 2. I went out to Manhattan and came back pretty late that night, the room was cold since we are in November and NYC is pretty a cold place, so we turned the heater on but we didn't get any heat. I went to talk to the front desk and informed the guy about the heater situation, he said he will send someone. After 15 minutes, a guy came in to check the heat, he assumed he fixed it and told me to leave it on that mode it should warm up. But again it didn't work, so I went back to the guy at the front desk and told him that the heater is still not working so he answered back with a rude tone saying: "I already told someone to check it for you" , he had no idea that this guy came, so I answered back "why are you yelling at me? The operator guy came and it is still not working". Then he came himself to check it out he stayed like 10 minutes trying to figure out what's wrong and finally he said "just leave the heater on this mode it just needs time to warm up". We took his advise and waited for an hour but again nothing happened. So the next day I had to inform the front desk lady that the heater is not working in my room,she said we will figure it out. So when I came back that night it was 3 am next day . they were setting up a a space heat!! Why would they decide at 3 am to put the space heat!? And they said we hope this heat will warm your room while we move you out tomorrow, which was my last day. Next day, I had to leave but my friend stayed at the hotel, so when he went back to the room during evening time, while he was using his laptop , suddenly water start dripping from the top!! He recorded the video of the dripping.
After that , they had to move my friend to a different room.
I would highly recommend not staying at this hotel. Its not worth it and it was expensive, you can def pay a little more and stay in Manhattan in good hotel.
Oh, above this food was very disappointing!
The only good thing about it is its location, 2 minutes walking to the subway.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank NaSl87
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed in Sumner Hotel as my house was flooded in hurricane sandy. Room was clean with good smell but had stains in bedsheets. Front desk were quite uncomfortable with us and talked to much in foreign language behind glass. But they were helpful after all. Small parking lot for 4 cars. Street parking is pain in day time. They have no concept of "Do Not Disturb" sign. Neither maids had any knowledge how DND looks or what it is. Lots of foods to eat around ( Taco Bell, McD, good local mostly hispanic food ). We never tried breakfast as it was flooded with guests. They proudly serves 3 hrs and 4 hrs stay to anyone.
Overall, its ok to stay there if u have no other choice. Cant really expect much.

Room Tip: Check your bed sheets and dont expect for DND sign.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mikeinblue
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We booked this as an affordable hotel for a trip to New York. Its really handily placed for the Flushing Avenue metro station which is just around the corner and can get you into Manhattan in 15 minutes. The area is perhaps not the greatest, but then we didn't have any problems and there are some useful shops nearby.

The hotel itself is new and modern, and nicely decorated. Rooms are a good size with all the amenities you should need including a tv and air conditioning.

The only real negative I had with the hotel is the breakfast room, its far too small for all the guests staying at the hotel, and the choice of foods is quite disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Spent 10 nights at the Sumner as it was much cheaper than hotels in Manhattan, only 4 stops on L-train. The room was a good size, however they could be a little cleaner. The breakfast room is very small and sometimes we had trouble finding a seat. They don't begin serving breakfast until 7:30 which is a little late, especially if you want to get into Manhattan early. The neighbourhood was not the nicest and would not recommend going out much after dark.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple