“Average Accomadations”
Review of Sumner Hotel

Sumner Hotel
Ranked #38 of 56 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2013

For New York, the price is right. The rooms are a decent size and breakfast is included, but the walls are thin. My friends and I were chatting at a normal volume in our room around 10 pm and had our neighbor bang on the wall for us to quiet down. They also don't have cots and the beds are on the small side, so make sure you know the person you're sleeping with well, because you'll probably end up cuddling! The location is accesible, near a lot of trains and not far from Williamsburg, but it can get a little scary at night, so be careful!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Veronica B

Reviewed 4 May 2013

This place is a joke. While it appears to be a nice hotel, the staff and management are rude and very unhelpful. No parking, and that was just the beginning. We reserved two queens for two nights online. Upon arriving, we were given a single queen with a spa tub in the middle of the room. They also wanted us to sign a waiver that was good for ten minutes after we arrived. We left, never to return again. This place is a joke.

• Stayed: May 2013
7  Thank Wanderer477
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed here 4 nights while on business in Brooklyn nearby. Everything seemed okay but there was a crack in the granite sink that I should have reported but did not because I don't like to complain. Four days after my return home, my credit card company notified me of a large charge on my credit card. They decided to bill me for the crack in the sink!!! For $1000!!! The manager, Minah, is a big liar and I get the impression they have done this thing to people before. Taught me a lot--no more stays at independent hotels, my signature on nothing and reporting any little thing wrong in the room before I even open my suitcase. These people are crooks; stay at your own risk!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
16  Thank jackie g
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I absolutely loved this hotel and stayed last week. At first , I was extremely wary of the location but I felt safe after regularly seeing cops patrolling the area and hotel and nobody said anything to Me . The location is just 3 stops away from manhattan on the subway which was an advantage for tourists like me, who wish to sight see . The staff were very helpful and polite and made me and my family feel at home . The room had all facilities including wifi and a fridge , there was also a microwave in the hotel which was useful, rooms were clean and warm and homely . I would recommend this hotel to everyone as it has the same facilities as a 4-5 star hotel but at a cheaper price ...

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Reenahun
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Clean room, pretty much as advertised. Staff was helpful; place was clean; hot water plentiful; let us stow our bags after check out before flight. Pillows hard as rocks, but I'm a down feather girl. Stayed here over St. Pats weekend to save a few $$ on hotel over Manhattan costs. Spent a LOT more time waiting on trains than we would have in the City, and by 9p the only thing open for dinner was Burger King. Wouldn't stay here again over paying more in Manhattan. If you plan to stay here to save $$ on NYC trip -- DON'T. You waste more time commuting and can't really walk around at night, as there's nothing open to see or do. Did pick up some bargains on MAC cosmetics and Michael Kors' purses during the day at bottom of subway station, but wouldn't stay here again for the price difference.

Room Tip: Stay in Manhattan - its worth the extra $$.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 100beachbums
Reviewed 15 February 2013

we did't expect a lot from this hotel after we read all the reviews on trip advisor. But luckily we were positively surprised!

The pro's:
the location. the Metro line M and J are just a corner from the hotel. I don't think the neigbourhood was dangerous at all, but I never walked through the street alone at night, so maybe thats the reason...
There are some free parking around the hotel, but make sure you get up early in the morning to catch them, otherwise it can be quite difficult to find one.
The bedroom was small but very cosy. The mattress is VERY comfortable i loved it. You even find an iron in the cupboard. The heater in the room works well, is a little noisy but usually you don't keep it running at the max during the nights...
The bathroom was big enough. The shower is great, the water jet is strong and you always have hot water.
the staff was also friendly and helpful

the contra's:
the walls are very very thin. you hear every noise in the corridor or in the rooms beside. so make sure you bring some earplugs with you - just in case.
Btw there is no hair dryer in the bathroom. I forgot to bring mine.... that was a bit upsetting.
The breakfast is included - which is a good thing - but I wasn't a fan of it. Not healthy at all, there were a few dry apples which didn't taste well. My friends though liked the fresh baked waffels.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I stayed here for the night at a reasonable price because I didn't want to get a room in the city. I arrived about an hour before check-in and was told I had to wait until after 3pm to do so. I didn't really like that at all. The hotel didn't seem busy, and it seemed like management didn't care that I had to wait almost an hour and a half to check-in, all he said was "walk around until your room is ready". I didn't mind walking around, the hotel is right off the subway with many shops to look around in. It was starting to rain so I walked back to the hotel to find that my room still wasn't ready, so I waited about two hours all together. The room was ok, your average king room. The bathroom smelled, so I wasn't happy about that. I got a call later that evening from the front desk to remind me about breakfast, I was looking forward to that. The next morning a got up early to pack and then went to enjoy breakfast, or what they call their "continental" breakfast. I was very disappointed. Only wheat bread, oranges, bananas, and a waffle maker was the options to choose from, with your assorted juices of course, so I passed. I more then likely will not stay here again. The one good thing about this hotel is the pizza place across the street. AWESOME PIZZA!

• Stayed: December 2012