“Do Not Book or Attempt to Book and Stay at Sumner Hotel!!!”
Review of Sumner Hotel

Sumner Hotel
Ranked #40 of 59 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I made a reservation through booking.com to stay at this hotel for a conference in Brooklyn I was going to. Before making the reservation, I remember very clearly that the caption on the side of the hotel on booking.com stated that "Free cancellation". I booked 2 rooms for two days because I was going with some people. A couple of days later, I found out that the conference had been cancelled. I called booking.com to cancel my reservation since the conference I was about to go had been cancelled. I was told that the confirmation letter they sent to me stated that the rooms I booked were non-refundable rooms. I do remember very well that there was no non-refundable written beside any of the rooms I booked. I did not even check the confirmation letter when I received that day I made the reservation, else I would have called them back to cancel it immediately since during my search for a hotel in Brooklyn, I stayed away from all the non-refundable rooms of some hotels in Brooklyn.

I called the Sumner hotel to resolve this issue but I was told that the mistake was with booking.com. When I called booking.com, they told me they would contact the hotel since it was the hotel that charged my debit card and took my money ($771.95). I feel like the hotel is doing anything possible to take my money for a room I haven't even slept in yet. I called it stealing. I also feel like this is some kind of a scam booking.com is doing with some other hotels out there.

I researched into the reviews of booking.com and I found out similar issues with some people out there. Please, stay away from booking.com and this Sumner hotel in Brooklyn, New York. I will continue to press them to pay my money back every week before I cease to exist.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Tee D

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The most dismal experience of any hotel I have ever stayed in. I didn't want to take my shoes off in the room. Terrible maid service, terrible beds, terrible breakfast, sketchy neighborhood, management is unavailable to speak to. Wouldn't be surprised if they have bedbugs. There is a reason the price is so low.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Greg S
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Neighbourhood god in daytime (a lot of shops and small restaurants and very close to metro) but a little scary at nighttime. Manhattan is 12 min. away with the metro. Breakfast is very basic. Cleaning is poor, no vacuum for a week. Bed was OK. Price is lower than manhattan but still high $1150 for a week.

Room Tip: Away from street minimize noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I was a little skeptical when I found this hotel for such a good deal but I was pleasantly surprised. The room is a decent size for being in New York and the bathroom was nice and new. The location is very close to a subway stop and a walgreens as well. The only problem I had was that the breakfast was very underwhelming, stale bagels and yogurt pretty much. For the price, it's hard to beat though.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ekaseta
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Our room had the chain lock removed; the holes were quite visible. There is no sound proofing and you can here conversations whule walking by rooms. There was no place to put anything like toiletries in the bathroom (zero shelf space). We decided to try this place again after a satisfactory experience last October. We arrived at 12:45pm, well before the 3pm check-in time. The lobby was full of folks waiting the two hours until check in, and one of the seats was occupied by the manager making a lengthy personal call. We asked to check our bags and met the guy with luggage room access downstairs, to see that bags were piled chest high to the door. He couldn't help us. After another 20 min wait, we suggested to the lady behind the check-in desk that they make another room available for storage. I was told that she "had placed a call to the manager." The manager had disappeared downstairs into her office. By repeatedly stepping up and asking if they had another room for luggage storage, we were finally allowed to put our bags into a caged room off of "the business center." It only wasted 40-45 minutes of our time! The manger seemed preoccupied with personal clls rather than managing a sever overflow of luggage storage. Breakfast stocking and replenishment was sporadic at best. If one arrived close to the 7am opening time, one had to move chairs off of tables and put them on the floor if seating was desired.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JohnTTT
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel looks nice on the inside and out. The neighborhood is run down but I can tell you, as a female, I never felt unsafe even walking back after a show in Manhattan. The subway is right across the street and fairly convenient taking the J or M into manhattan. The biggest complaint I have is the noise. The door isn't soundproofed and at 2 am people in the hall sounded like they were in my room talking and sounded like they were bowling. I probably wouldn't stay here again for this sole reason. The light was also coming in under the door. Hotel staff were nice and the rooms were modern but the noise really made for sleepless nights.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 30 April 2014

For the price, the hotel is OK. The neighborhood is not that bad... it's not worst than another in latin america (like santiago centro o Buenos Aires Obelisco).

The Room was very clean, breakfast was nice (free Bagels, butter, juice, coffee, yogurt). Very close of a subway.... 20 minutes to Manhattan using Flushing Station.

It's half of price about staying in Manhattan, and if it's not the first time that you go to NY, It's ok (cheap, by cab is not far away).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple