“Still my home away from home...”
Review of Midwood Suites

Midwood Suites
Ranked #59 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
CA
“Still my home away from home...”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I stayed at Midwood Suites in October in a new room in the front. The room was small but clean and comfy. The pros were the brand new flat screen TV, plenty of heat, roomy comfortable bed, feeling safe as always, near the subway, family and friends. The cons unfortunately this time were, no hairdryer (I had to borrow one from a friend), the microwave only worked a minute at a time, since the room was basically in the lobby, too noisy at night when other people came in and also the room was right next to the office and I felt I didn't have enough privacy. I have stayed here many times and usually have no problems at all so next time, I think I will request one of the rooms I normally stay in in the back, upstairs. There are stairs and it's a little more money but worth it. I still love staying here, though. It really is my home away from home.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank giraffelover53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed in Midwood in September. And enjoyed our stay there very much! It is very close to the Subway, shops and restaurants. It is very nice during the trip to stay not in the hotel with a lot of people around, but in the pace that is like our friend's house! Next time we'll stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We really enjoyed our stay in Midwood suites! we will advice all our friends who want travel to NY to be in these suites!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aaroncas
AMSTERDAM
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Midwood suites, and will be happy to stay there again. Roomy and practical, close to Subway and shops. Check in procedure simple and clear, no hassle at all. Breakfast coupon was provided and we can recommend the bagels we were served. Visiting from Amsterdam the Netherlands is was very nice to stay in a residential neighborhood rather then in a Manhattan hotel. We purposely did select Brooklyn for this (and for price, we are Dutch ;-)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Cozy and homey, and an excellent value, we keep coming back to Midwood suites whenever we visit family in NY. It's on a safe residential street, but just on block from the subway at ave J where there are loads of shops and restaurants. A great place to spend Shabbat.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank chavief
Burnaby B.C.
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Let's just say that this was not at all what I expected. The pros are few and can be itemized quickly: roomy, new microwave; good wireless connection; working fridge. The cons are numerous, however, and take longer: beat-up; no cooking facilities (elements are disconnected), disposable plates, glasses, etc.; very noisy air conditioner in bedroom; location is an hour by subway from Manhattan; neighborhood is shabby with few amenities (i.e. nice restaurants, bars, supermarkets, etc.); bed is short (I'm not a tall man (5' 10"), and my feet hung over the end.).

The basics were clean: toilet, basin, linens, but don't look too closely because there's lots of grunge in the corners. I dropped my toothpaste between the vanity and the tub enclosure and had to wash the crud off of it. Speaking of shower doors, anyone over 5' needs to mind their head. (I scraped mine so badly it drew blood.) My experience at Midwood Suites involved choosing between two ways NOT to sleep. Turning the air conditioner on and trying to ignore it (impossible for me, even with earplugs rated to 33 decibels) or leaving it off and suffering in the extreme heat. Combine that with the distance from attractions in the City, and there's no mystery about why I won't be back. Oh, did I mention that the houses here are very close together and that the neighbors have a backyard pool full of screaming kids (the noise lasts until about 10 pm)? Unfortunately, I brought work with me and concentrating was far from easy.

I'm not really sure who this accommodation might suit. People who have family in the area with no room to put them up? When I was looking, I found hotels in uptown NYC for about $125 a night or $16 more than I paid at Midwood. (The suite I stayed in supposedly cost $139, but they upgraded me for the same rate ($109).) My advice—pay the difference!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank DocHoliday62

Travellers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 August 2011

In a city like NY where accommodation is very expensive Midwood Suites provides excellent value for money. The 'inn-type' residence is very comfortable has is well located to restaurants and shopping. I was pleasantly surprised having stayed at some of the more well-know establishments in the area that such a cozy nook could be so comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business