“Not what the picture shows”
Review of Midwood Suites

Midwood Suites
Ranked #64 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This place has been described by others as quite bad, I agree. Nothing like the pictures showed on their website. We booked a Jnr suite, arrived to find that we also have been placed in B entrance. We we arrived there was a used soap and dirty face cloth still in the shower. When I requested it to be cleared and cleaned I was advised that this would happen within the hour, still waiting 12 hours later. The microwave was dirty. Manager was RUDE and agreed that they would not be happy if they were submitted to the same experience. One rule for them another for their guests. Breakfast is a coupon at a local bagel house. There wall paper peeling off, the fire exit door backs onto A block and this is where everyone packs their bags so you can hear all the noise. The unit downstairs requires the hall light to be left on at all times (this light illuminates the bathroom) - god forbid if you turn it off, you get yelled at by the person staying there. There is no cutlery, plates, pots or cooking utensils only plastic spoons and tacky plastic cups which have been there for goodness knows how long. You do however get a toothbrush, perhaps they could take away the toothbrush and give you glasses to drink out of. They say due to the fact that the items get stolen is why they do not provide cutlery etc. Well people get this room and want their money's worth, that is probably why things are stolen. The cleaner left windows open, security is a joke, the accomodation is a joke. DO NOT CHOOSE THIS ACCOMMODATION

Room Tip: Do not choose this place - most helpful hint.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Donna W

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Okay, normally the Wife and I stay in a terrific B&B (Inn on Second) when we come to Brooklyn (I ride my bicycle up from Philly every year on an annual bike club ride) and we are VERY spoiled by the accommodation, so with them being booked, admittedly I came to Midwood with hesitation and low expectations...Well wasn't I pleasantly surprised!!

First with everything done on the internet (reservations/payment) and not actually speaking with anyone...my "radar went up"...then getting a confirmation email referencing a "virtual check-in" process (when you arrive, you call a "virtual receptionist" and get your key from lockbox in the lobby)...my "radar" went active! But the price was very good (too good?)...so we pressed on...Upon arrival (a note, I initially went to the formal address noted above but my stay was at a secondary address -not their fault, it was noted on the email, I just laid in all the travel info/addresses before receiving the email - parking at that location is all on-street, was not initially told such, but parking was ample, close and not an issue) I noted immediately the working class nature of the neighborhood, definitely not "posh" or "touristy" but not at all threatening -in fact the Jewish/Arab mix piqued my interest. There is a train station at the end of the street (we didn't need it as we had our car, but I know such is important to some, especially in NYC). As far the "feel" I had my cargo carrier on top of my SUV (with beach gear in the hope of a nice day) and I had no concern for its security, and such proved true)...

The room...very attractive and larger than expected. We had our daughter with us this trip so we had a double bed and a fold-out for her (costs extra) they even had a mini-fridge and microwave and we were not bumping in to nor stepping over one another AND I even had my bike in the room with us, not an issue. In the NYC market offering complimentary breakfast is a norm, they tried by offering vouchers to a spot next door, but for us that was Labor Day morning and the spot was closed, not their fault -but disappointing. No "spectacular views" but for what we needed, a clean comfortable place to keep our stuff, sleep and bath -it did the job...

All in all the room was very well appointed/decorated with free wifi. While it may not be enough to woo us away from our beloved Inn on Second (Carol Gardens section of Brooklyn is definitely part of its charm!) it will be our "Plan B" choice without question.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank japii-phl
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I suspect there are 2 versions of this hotel, like there are 2 entrances. If you get entrance B, the back of the building, you are probably going to get the awful version of this hotel (read the bad reviews). If you are unfortunate to get the Jr Suite, beware, it looks NOTHING LIKE THE PICTURES. It's like a cheap rent, run down apartment; closet doors broken, half the appliances not working, shower head broken, walls thin, free wifi doesn't work, everything is old. The place is relatively clean but the walls & floors are dirty. I am pleasantly surprised they provided hotel soaps and toothbrush. Breakfast voucher is only good for $3.50, but the bagels are pretty good at the shop. Good luck getting any help from the owner, he's only available by cell phone and not very nice or helpful. There are only 3 parking spots in front of the building and you have to reserve them at $10 a day. My son has bites on his legs, we suspect bed bugs. $139 a night is not worth the extra commute and bigger space. Next time, I will pay more money at another place for a smaller, cleaner room with a manager onsite.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 747roberts747
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This hotel is a great bargain if you've ever tried to get a hotel in NYC! I live in the city, but had visitors coming, and due to my tiny-sized Manhattan apartment, we opted to get a room instead. I found Midwood Suites on Trip Advisor, and saw the great reviews, so we went ahead and booked.

It's a nice hotel, looks like it's in a house. The rooms are huge - bedroom, kitchen, living room, bathroom. The only thing that concerned me was it sounded like there may have been squirels in the ceiling! I heard a racket every night.

Besides that, it was a great experience! If you have your car, there's parking at the hotel and on the street. The neighbhorhood is 100% safe and everyone is super-friendly! There's some great delis, but as far as restaurants and bars go, you'll have to venture out. It's one block away from the Q train, which is REALLY nice. It does take awhile to get into the city (about 30+ minutes) but once again, I will stress that for this price, it's all worth it. You will not find a better deal anywhere!

Also - they just opened a 16 Handles froyo store in the neighborhood. If you know what's good for you, you will check it out! Delicious!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank BedStuyTraveler9
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We have been to NYC many times through the years and have not been staying in Brooklyn near our relatives due to the lack of hotel/motel rooms. The Midwood Suites was just what we have needed. We stayed at an annex of about 8 rooms. It was up two flights of stairs so if you have mobility issues, let them know as this was not the building for you. But our room was very clean, minimally furnished (a chair and another lamp would have been nice), but comfortable and quiet. We have stayed in much smaller and noisier rooms in Manhattan for three or four times as much. Shower was large in a rather small bathroom with a high shower head, plenty of hot water, and plush towels. The bed was low to the floor but very comfortable with plenty of pillows. We got a voucher to a local bagel shop which was a walk but worth it to be part of the neighborhood. The room was near many restaurants and the subway station. A good value for a room with a fridge, microwave, and a hot water kettle. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BarleyOne
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed here in December with 2of my friends and it was definitely a different experience. There's nobody there when you check in. You're given a code to enter the building and your room. If you need anything u have to call the manager on his cell and have to wait for him to drive over. The want u to pay for parking in their driveway, they advertise continental breakfast, we were given a gift card to dunkin donuts. If you are African american, I advise you to stay somewhere else. We were accused of trying to get in someone's room when we weren't even in the hotel. As soon as we got back to the room we received a phone call from the manager which let's me know that they can see when u come in & come out. It was a terrible experience and I wouldn't advise anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011
9  Thank jayshaw83
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We had a great night at the Midwood suites. Very warm and comfortable. We would definately come here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple