“Fine dining in a relaxed cafe atmosphere”
Review of Moutarde

Moutarde
Ranked #2,920 of 5,416 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Fine dining in a relaxed cafe atmosphere”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Five of us (with a little baby) went for dinner on a Sunday evening. We had endives, gorgonzola and walnut salad followed by salmon risotto and then chocolate mousse and pistachio/ chocolate eclairs for dessert. Everything was simply great! Got some good advice on our choice of wine... they let us taste from three already opened bottles before we ordered...

Definitely a place I would go back to...

• Visited March 2012

watertown, CT
“cozy parisian”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Go here for an innovative cocktail but stay for the generously portioned cuisine and an environment that makes the solo dinner feel like staying all day. Sit at the small old school bar and get the mint and honey.

Visited February 2012
Rockville, Maryland
“Excellent Neighborhood Bistro”
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My girlfriend and I ate here on a Saturday night, no reservation and no wait. The food was fantastic - very much the classic Parisian Bistro. We enjoyed everything and it was very reasonably priced. We will come back again.

• Visited October 2011
New York City, New York
“Not a neighborhood bistro that you return to time and again”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We went to La Moutarde in Park Slope, Brooklyn, for Restaurant Week on a Sunday evening at 6:30pm –we had passed the restaurant many times and Restaurant Week gave us the excuse we needed to go. La Moutarde looks charming from the outside, every bit like the neighborhood bistro it claims to be. And it is charming inside, with mirrors, Left Bank chandeliers, and Chagall-like scribbles on the ceiling and walls. The place was packed, and the loud buzz augured a great experience. But, our evening was disappointing – good food but service that included appalling lack of courtesy.

When the four of us arrived, we waited more than ten minutes before we were acknowledged. We were told there was no record of our reservations (“we have thousands of reservations this week”), even though we confirmed just two days before. The short, distracted, little man who acted as maitre d’ was rude, and made no effort to accommodate us, even though we had my 91 year old mother with us in a wheelchair. He seated a party of four who came without reservations before us. When I asked about that, the maitre d’ said that their table was not suitable for a wheelchair. Then, he said we could have a table in the back, pointing with his finger. The table was, in fact, fine and he stood watching us with arms folded as we threaded our own way past rows of tables and chairs. When I asked him what the $25 Restaurant Week menu included, he snapped at us, saying he had no idea, he was not a waiter.

When our waitress finally came (she just one waitress for the entire restaurant of about 20 tables), she said that the Restaurant Week menu had herring or cream of mushroom soup as appetizers, skate in a lemon butter sauce as entrée, and crème caramel for dessert. Very sorry, but shepherd’s pie, the second entrée, was sold out and no, there were no substitutes. We ordered three Restaurant Week specials, a duck terrine appetizer, and a lamb tagine. While we waited, the maitre d’ came by and literally threw a tiny basket of bread on the table. We were also given as starters, a tiny dish with about 8 carrot and cucumber sticks and mustard in a sniffer for a dipping sauce.

The dinner itself was good although service was slow – a 45 minute wait for the entrees. The mushroom soup was tasty, if lukewarm and a bit thin. The skate was moist, the simple lemon and butter sauce perfect for the delicate fish. The lamb tagine, served in a little casserole, was flavorful and the accompanying salad of greens and beets provided a fresh contrast. The crème caramel was tender and not overly sweet, a nice, simple finish to the meal. The duck terrine was a bit bland, and the pate en croute pastry was dry.

We asked for the check. After looking it over, I returned it with my credit card. The maitre d’ brought them back with a credit slip for my signature, literally throwing them on the table with a clatter. As we left, he stood by watching us struggle to wheel my mother to the front of the restaurant. It wasn’t later that we discovered that the restaurant had a side door and a ramp for wheelchair access that he could have opened and offered to my mother He was perfectly happy to watch us struggle through the double storm doors and down the front steps.

We are unlikely to return. We expect a neighborhood bistro to offer good food and welcoming service. La Moutarde has the good food. However, we cannot forgive its lack of courtesy and unwelcoming attitude.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank bluenote18
Brooklyn, New York
“My Favorite Restaurant”
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I have eaten at many restaurants in several countries. My favorite restaurant in the entire world is La Moutarde, in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The food, service, and atmosphere are all excellent. I recommend the Tuna Steak for dinner and the fondant au chocolat for dessert. The restaurant also makes the best creme brulee I have ever had, including restaurants in Paris.