“Restored My Faith In Hostels”

Lafayette International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklyn
Lafayette International Hostel
Deganwy, North Wales
“Restored My Faith In Hostels”
Reviewed 18 October 2006

This hostel will restore your faith not only in hostels, but in humanity!!!
A bold statement yes, but certainly a true one.

After arriving in Buffalo on the GreyHound, getting off to snow, ice, and pitch black with empty streets looking like a scene from a disaster movie (where did everyone go?), we finally staggered through the cold and found the hostel.

On walking through the toasty warm door we were warmly welcomed by the sweetest woman I have ever met - imagine all those sweet grandmothers you see in TV movies ~ that was her!
She ushered us in, checked us in with no problems, and told us all about getting to Niagra falls (including a handy map and bus routes).
She then loaded us up with blankets and sent us to our room.

The hostel was quite empty, but rather than shoving everyone in one room to save cleaning, she gave my girlfriend and I our own one!

The hostel was quite modern and clinical, but very very clean with a cosey sitting area leading onto a nice kitchen.

Buffalo in itself is not the most jumping town off season, but a funky little cinema next door and a restaurant serving the most delicious eggs benedict certified it as a lovely place to be.

Overall the hostel was fantastic - just try to refrain from hugging the lovely owner!

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — A strang noise occaionally eminating from the heating pipes - a small price to pay for not freezing!
  • Tips/Secrets — Listen carefully to the owner about bus routes - saves cash and makes things very simple
  • Stayed February 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank dustroom

Families
ny
Reviewed 5 September 2006

great hostel! VERY clean. the staff in very friendly and VERY helpful. the hostel has big kitcken and nice lounge/dining room. me and my girlfriend stayed in a mixed dorm room. it was big, clean and the beds were pretty confortable as well (hard think to find in hostels). it is located in downtown buffalo. right in front of the streetcars who can take you (for free) in less than 5 mins near the bus station (greyhound)...or you can even walk there- only 4 or 5 blocks...no more than 15 mins. the falls are only 25 mins away with public bus- cheap (about $3 return ticket) and in time. we even took a day trip to Toronto- only 2 hours away- definitely worth it! if i'll go visit the falls again I will definetely stay here!

• Liked — fiendly staff
  • Disliked — nice hostel but buffalo sucks
  • Tips/Secrets — try to stay in the mixed dorm room
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 October 2005

Stayed here in July for 3 nights, we were very pleased with the hostel on arrival, the place seemed clean and the staff were extremely friendly. After the first night things started to change with the apperance of bites all over my sister, at first there were a couple by the end of our stay there were nearly 100 bites.
When we informed the staff of this problem they told us it must of been from something outside, and couldn't possibly be bed bugs, never having bed bug bites before we knew no different but after enquiring a little futher it was confirmed to be bed bugs.

Just be careful and check the bed carefully we learnt our lesson the hard way

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 11 December 2004

I stayed here in January 2004 - very much in the off-season (a snow storm was raging in Buffalo when I checked in). The hostel staff were very friendly and helpful - I was arriving very late (11pm) and taking a taxi early (4am) on my day of departure (I never knew if I was supposed to tip them? Would they of been offended if I did?). Security was tight - a card was required to get beyond the lobby and into the room. Eight beds in the room which is an OK number. A friendly Mexican and Australian chap were also in the room. Downtown is a bit spooky - hardly any shops and those that are there are very down market. There are some good bars on a street one block away and lots of theatres on your doorstep. Good value and I had a great stay there.

2 Thank OctopusUK