“Very Brooklyn”

Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Miami, Florida
“Very Brooklyn”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The Wythe Hotel is a gorgeous historic and aesthetically pleasing boutique hotel. I loved every second of our stay. The staff was courteous and very helpful (extending our stay by 1 day on last minute notice, ordering car services, etc.) although if you weren't staying at the hotel and wanted to visit the bar or restaurant guests were shuffled into a waiting line. Thankfully, with a room key we had free reign of all amenities the hotel had to offer. We really enjoyed the candlelit 6th floor bar Ides with expansive views of Manhattan and great cocktails. Our Historic King room was located on the 3rd floor with everything a traveler needs and more. We can't wait to return - although next time we'll book one of the top floor lofts. By the way, there are multiple little jewels close-by. Check out Hotel Delmano for oysters and beautifully crafted cocktails and The Bedford for a great dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WereTravelinLight

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed a couple of nights at the Wythe and was a bit perplexed about the lack of service...no one to help with the door or our bags when arriving and the check-in staff made me and other people wait while they were training an employee on how to process a room bill,I guess, around 3:30pm, when check-ins start at 3pm. The other thing I thought weird was our mattress was very uncomfortable..too firm and kind of lumpy. I thought the industry standard is the "Heavenly" type mattresses these days. Oh well...

I did enjoy the surround sound and the mini-bar bottle service is a great deal relative to the prices at Ides, which has a beautiful view. The bathroom was very nice and roomy, but could have used a small stool or bench for the shower. I have to agree with the other reviewers about the noise inside and outside of the hotel...but if you are a night owl or are there to party, no worries, all seemed to quiet down around 3:30am. We were lucky to have a nice leather chair in our historic corner-king Manhatten room to relax in after a long day. Lots of style, little less comfort

Lastly, when my husband and I returned to the hotel around 10:30pm, the bouncers (?) greeted (?) us in the lobby to determine if we were going to the bar or the restaurant. The option of being a guest staying there was a surprise I think...guess that is telling.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JimtownGal
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at the Wythe Hotel for 4 nights while in Brooklyn celebrating my son's wedding. I did not have a good stay at the hotel, but with the constant wedding activities I did not have time to seek out the owner and express my problems. It is my practice to give management the opportunity to do better before I write a negative review. Therefore, upon my return I called to get the owner's address so I could tell him about my stay in his hotel. He promptly called me back and we had a long chat on the phone where he allowed me to express all my criticisms (listed below). He gave explanation for some, apologized for some, listened to suggestions and apologized that my stay was unsatisfactory and would work to remedy what he could. I thanked him for allowing me to give him feedback and wished him the best. After we hung up, I received an email again thanking me for my call and saying that he knew I did not call for a financial adjustment, but that he wished to credit me one night's stay. I felt this gesture very generous.

For those who wish to read further, here were my criticisms. My room, on the Brooklyn side of the hotel, was spacious and clean. However, the only seating in the room was the bistro table and 2 bentwood straight back chairs - hardly comfortable for watching tv or reading a book. No opportunity to have a guest in the room at all. There are no comfortable common areas to greet guests or find a comfortable place to wait for a taxi or ride. There was no luggage rack to place my suitcase so I had to sit on the floor to find my clothes. The lighting is quite poor, although nice ambiance provided by low light, but when you are getting ready for a wedding the only good light to see by was in the bathroom.

I booked my room on line and was unaware that the rooms on the Brooklyn side are impacted by the nightly club noise from the Brooklyn Bowl across the street. Not only is the music window rattling, but the honking of the taxis at 2 a.m. picking up passengers was unpleasant. My children had a New York facing room and did not have the noise problems.

The sliding door to the bathroom did not close tightly so you really had no privacy. The first 2 days my room was not made up until after 3 p.m. After returning from a long day to change for dinner, it was upsetting to have the room still a mess. Once I complained, my room was cleaned the third day in the morning and I was given free morning coffee service.

I asked to check-out late to accommodate a family brunch before departing and was granted a 12:30 checkout. At 12:15 I had unexpected visitors in the lobby. The front desk called the room promptly at 12:30 telling my daughter (who told them I had a visitor in the lobby) that I had to check out immediately. The front desk was very rude and gruff.

This hotel exudes the hip vibe of Brooklyn with a minimalist feel, but the small lobby is unable to accommodate the large number of people coming to Reynard or the rooftop bar. Guests had to muscle their way through the lobby at all times of the day, but most especially from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m.

My daughter had a lovely room (historic king) on the New York side with the most amazing view of the river and Manhattan. Her room also had comfortable seating. I had a queen room as I was traveling solo.

I have now stayed at the three hotels (The Jolie, The King and Grove and the Wythe) in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. The Wythe Hotel was to be a treat for the wedding festivities. Although the owner of the Wythe couldn't have been nicer and more responsive, I would probably choose to return to the Jolie or the King and Grove as they are definitely more quiet, less expensive, and do not have the crowds coming to the bar and the restaurant.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a King overlooking the river and Manhattan. Spectacular but pricey!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank juliecduke
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here on a "staycation" with my boyfriend for just one night. We were really impressed with the hotel and all of its well-designed features. Our room was stylish, yet simple and had a great view of the skyline. I especially loved the custom-designed wallpaper, high timber ceilings and fancy bath products :)

The Ides bar is cool, but seems a little euro-trashy these days. It's definitely worth having a sunset cocktail though. We also ate a delicious breakfast at the Reynard downstairs. The rest of the neighborhood is fun too. There are tons of restaurants and shops nearby. I would recommend this to anyone traveling to Brooklyn or to any New Yorker who wants to be a hipster for the night!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelsey S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is absolutely stunning, with all of the heartbeat of brooklyn pumping through its veins. Something about Williamsburg takes me back to a time when manhattan was super cool where interesting people where on every corner. Manhattan has sort of fizzled a bit, and brooklyn, in my opinion is where it's at. An amazing hotel with beautiful views in a stunning location!

• Stayed August 2013
St.Petersburg
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Great view from the rooms towards manhattan and awesome bar on the rooftop / unfortunately that's all good about this hotel

It's a typical example when design is is done at the expense of functionality / window between room and toilet room leads to weakening up your partner every time you use it / the same about the door to the toilet which can't be closed thickly and all the noise from the toilet is heard in the room / there is great selection in minibar however ... it's designed as set of bottles - so to enjoy a shot of gin or any other spirit you have to open the whole bottle (and pay for the whole bottle therefore)

Finally, due to low sound isolation literally everything happening with your neighbors is heard like you live in one room / and the noise from the street will decrease chances for good sleep to minimum (hotel is overlooking industrial parking and you hear trucks all the night)

Probably good hotel for afterparty in Brooklyn but not for staying for tourist purposes

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Slonik220v
Lilburn, Georgia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Was in Brooklyn, visiting my son who lives very nearby. The room was very comfortable, but dimly lit for a reader. First afternoon back, room was very neatly taken care of, second day back not so great. Ate at Reynald for a lunch & dinner -Wonderful food & service!!! But my breakfast experience, not so great. Food was very good, service - well, I felt like I was bothering the young man... Checking in the young woman was a bit aloof, but when I checked out a different young woman was very helpful, friendly. A bit of a mix, but I will definitely stay again. The view from the 6th floor terrace is absolutely wonderful!

Room Tip: As far as I know the only room service offered was a light breakfast, but I enjoyed mine
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo