“Not a lot of meat on the whole chicken”
Review of Purbird

Purbird
Ranked #851 of 5,534 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Came here with a group or 3 people. The staff was helpful in helping us decide what we wanted to eat. We ended up ordering the whole chicken, jalapeno mac and cheese, and purbird fries.

I would have to say that the food was just okay at best. The whole chicken wasn't technically a whole chicken. It didn't come with the wings. I expected a bigger chicken and more meat but the meat was quite scarce for the price you pay for a whole chicken. Definitely not worth the price point to meat ratio. However, the chicken was moist and the skin a little crisp but the meat couldn't stand on it's own flavor wise. The sauces we got were the mango chutney, lemon & parsley, and purbird sauce. Out of the 3, the best were the pubird sauce and lemon & parsley. Both were flavorful and excellent as sauces.

The fries were standard. Nothing fancy about them. You have to buy their sauces otherwise it doesn't taste that good.

The jalapeno mac and cheese was spicy and that's about it. The cheese was just okay, no special cheeses used and not much of a crisp on the top layer. Kind of soggy. Kind of tasted like Kraft's mac & cheese but spicy.

The good thing is that they have root beer!

I would not come here again nor could I recommend this place.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I loved the antibiotic- and hormone-free chicken breast with creamy guacamole and locally-sourced bread. Nice beer and cider selection on tap. Great spot overall.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Purbird serves the best tasting chicken I've ever eaten. They use Amish raised chicken and the quality is always outstanding. All of their chicken sandwiches are excellent. My favorite dish is the half chicken which is a butterfly with the leg and just melts in your mouth. The sides are all great but what stands out are the mashed potatoes which are probably the best in New York City. It's a small restaurant with a genuinely friendly staff. All dishes are prepared to order and this usually takes about 10 minutes. Their delivery service is prompt and efficient. The only problem is that now if I eat chicken anywhere else I'm disappointed but It never matches Purbird.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I went there with a couple of friends. The whole chicken is served without bones and it is fantastic, the best I have ever had. The Maccheroni and Cheese is a must if you go there. The sandwich and burgers are also very good. There are different spicy sauces to use and quality draft beers. Definitely recommended

Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is one of my favorite local eateries. The chicken here in combination with the Purbird original sauce is nothing short of amazing. I also recommend trying the brownies if you are in the neighborhood. I give this place 5 stars.

Been to Purbird? Share your experiences!