“Warm. Cozy. Nice. Safe.”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Gold Room

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Gold Room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Marcjas
Vermont
“Warm. Cozy. Nice. Safe.”
Reviewed 25 February 2015 for a stay in February 2015

I have stayed in several rentals on the northeast ranging from high end rentals with private beach to midrange rentals in cities. I homeschool our young kids and travel is often part of our curriculum.

I love this place and can't wait to go back. (My stay was in winter...)
First off, Mr. Larry is very kind, accommodating, patient and followed through on his word. And, mr. Jack was equally nice and was on hand at all times.

Secondly, the neighborhood is safe. My husband wanted me to park in garage (there is one on H Ave for $16/day) but the street was just fine. Keep on eye on the street cleaning signs. We would swap our car from on side to another when we walked by and saw a space.
After a snow storm I saw two men talking outside, one helped me park and the other lent me his shovel so I could shovel the steps so the kids wouldn't slip or fall. The people were super nice, helpful, and kind. Walking at night felt safe but use common sense. This is a Caribbean neighborhood so take advantage of some yummy goat. (for reals! Jamaicans know how to cook goat beautifully!) I didnt know it was a Caribbean neighborhood until we checked in so I ran out that night to find some goat. There's a take out joint next to the supermarket that has ok roti and meat and potatoes for a good price. (Get the jamacian ginger beer to drink!)

Finally, the rental: it is three bedrooms (of which we rented one), a kitchen, a bathroom. The rooms are well sized, clean, and doesn't have that "too many people slept here" smell common in rentals. But the rental has that apartment in nyc smell...i suspect because its an apartment in nyc. The bathroom has a cute sky light (which comes in handy when applying make up). The place is well lit. The kitchen only has two chairs but that worked for us. The dish cupboard was up too high for me to reach but luckily there were dishes in the dish rack. So if you are short, get mr. Larry to pull them down when you walk in ^_^. If you are allergic to down, bring pillows. This is not a trendy nyc place. This is a home to sleep in while you site see. This would be awesome for three friends looking to enjoy the city. This is also a a good affordable rental for a family...provided your kids are calm. There is no place for running or shenanigans but walking through the city should help.

For people who never been to nyc:
The bus stop is a short walk (walked it in winter wind with small children...you can do it!) which will drop you off at the subway.
Get an unlimited 7day metrocard. It paid for itself in less than three days.
Because you are at the end of a subway line, just get on the train and know you have about three stops to figure it out before your first possible transfer. But learn to read a subway map before you go to nyc.
Leave the stroller at home. Get a wrap! While I find strollers annoying (as a parent and pedestrian), I despise them in the city!
People are nice. You can ask for directions. Don't expect an answer from every person. But everyone has to learn the subway, they know how hard it is...
Be polite. I saw rude tourists and it makes it hard on all of us.
To dress like a NYCer: clean, comfy, weather appropriate. IF you are going to wear sweatpants (and no one stops you from walking out the door), dont wear stained, workout clothes.

Liked best: ^_^ bathroom sky light ^_^
Liked least: The kitchen floor
Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Freddyeoj
“Good but the location was a problem for us.”
Reviewed 27 December 2014 for a stay in December 2014

I want to say thank to Mr. Larry and his wife thanks for the patien and for the attention we receive. I recomend the apartment but I need to say that the location is a little bit dificult to arrive by train.

Management Response
28 Dec 2014
Thank you Freddy for your review. Really the location is not a problem. The subway train is just about 4 minutes away on the bus. The train will take you to Manhattan in about 30 minutes. I think the problem is communication. Your friends really didn't speak any English and It was a little difficult to explain the travel route to them. Once again thank you for staying and Good Luck.

Larry
JAR226
London, Canada
“Price is right!”
Reviewed 30 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

After I received a confirmation and paid a deposit with another source; I got an email from the actual owner of property telling me that he needed to cancel the reservation, since there was a family emergency, and his sister would be coming & staying with him. Less than 3 days before my departure, I was in a pickle. I then googled various vacation rentals. I got several not available, even though on the calendars, it said they were. Finally I got this booking, and although not in my preferred area, beggars can't be choosers, so I took it. The price was great, though rather inconvenient from where I needed to be, but at least there is an awesome subway and transit system. What made the price even better, was the use of the community kitchen, which reduced eating costs. On a budget, this place is for you!

Liked best: kitchen facilities
Liked least: wasn't sound proof, could almost hear people in the various other rooms think
Travelling group: Solo

Dalton, Georgia, United States
“Northern hospitality”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

Me and my wife, both natives to the South, visited on a weekend trip to New York, Family and friends were quick to warn us about the differences between the South and the North, but Larry — the owner — was incredibly hospitable when we rented out this apartment. We stayed for five nights and enjoyed it immensely. We didn't use the room for much other than just sleeping when we were done walking throughout Manhattan. The room, as you would expect for Brooklyn, was small with a barely enough space for the bed and the TV and a small desk. So if you're the kind of person who needs a lot of space, you might have to fork out some more cash for a hotel. We didn't mind the small room at all. There's also an upstairs kitchen and two bathrooms — all are shared with other residents. That could also be a turn off to some people, but it was never an issue with us.

Troy Avenue is in the Flatbush area, which is one of those neighborhoods that has good streets and rough streets. The one setback was that the subway wasn't really ideally located. Larry was good to give us the "safe" directions. We had no problems with anyone messing with us, although the Brooklyn crime map showed a few rough things in the neighborhood, mostly after midnight. We parked closer to the subway in northern Brooklyn when we knew we were going to come in very late and just drove to the apartment.

Be aware of where you park though. We received two parking tickets because the hours you can park off the street vary. Look at the signs and make sure you are not near fire hydrants.

Overall, this was a great fit for us. A larger family or someone who needs space and luxury might want to look elsewhere. But if you want adventure and you want someone to stay that's cheap and convenient, this is a great option.

Thanks, Larry.

Liked best: Hospitality and price
Liked least: Location
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Management Response
11 Oct 2013
Thank you Christopher. We do have large rooms that are more suited for 4 guests. The next time you visit I will have a large room waiting for you. If you took the Glennwood Road B6 bus, it will take you to the subway in 4 minutes. I have had many guests stayed with me over the year and they traveled the streets safely in my neighborhood. The North is safe and we welcome all guests. Thank you for staying with us.

Larry and Jack.
Lorient
Reviewed 9 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Barbados
Reviewed 6 May 2013 for a stay in April 2013

Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing