“Well Done! Impressive Taste and Atmosphere, Great for Friends.”
Review of Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Reserve with OpenTable
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 5,534 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Our bar-b-que is nationally acclaimed. Our food and sauces have won honors in publications such as Men’s Health and Eating Well magazines. We were named the country's Number One BBQ on Good Morning America and have been featured on various Food Network and Travel Channel shows. Our spice rub and a full line of specialty sauces are available throughout the country and in Europe and Japan. Our cookbook, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse, was voted as one of the best BBQ cookbooks in 2002 by the National Association of BBQ. At Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, fresh, homemade, and high-quality aren’t just catchwords, they’re our foundation. Our commitment to food quality and genuine hospitality is unyielding and intense. We pride ourselves on our loyal guests, employees, and being a great place to have fun and while sampling some of the best bar-b-que in the country. Our menu is firmly rooted in the traditions of Southern bar-b-que, but there are other influences that shape our flavors and give our food its own distinctive character. That’s one of the secrets of great bar-b-que -- staying committed to tradition, but finding your own stamp and signature.
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I visited Dinosaur BBQ based on seeing their printed menu in the lobby of another building.

After mapping the restaurant on my phone I found it was just a short walk away from where I was in Brooklyn.

While walking up, I found the decor to match the feeling of the menu: rusting and whole. The outdoor seating looked great for summertime dining, but it was too cold for use that day.

Let's get down to the point. THE FOOD!

There is an extensive menu of beers on tap. I great selection and with help from the manager I found one that fit my taste well.

Not wanting pork, I asked about the beef options that were not sandwiches, and ended up at the beef brisket platter, with mac and cheese and black eyed peas with kale. ALL EXCELLENT choices. The key victory in their menu is that each item retains it's individual taste.

The mistake of so many restaurants is the uniformity of taste across the menu, as items either have no taste or all the same taste with varying textures.

Dinosaur BBQ's kitchen practices the discipline of achieving great taste and keeping them separate!

I will definitely return AND bring friends.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

If you like meat you will love here. Very busy but worth the wait. Oh, and you need to like dozens of kids doing what they do when they are excited.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

With the south typically being home of the BBQ, this place does it pretty good. Lots of choices on the menu. Tried a sample of ribs, pork and brisket and approved. Try the fried green tomatoes.....they are quite good. So if you want that down south taste....stop by and enjoy.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I like checking out local BBQ joints as I travel. Different regions have different takes on barbeque. I've worked my way through the south and midwest: fro KC, to Memphis, to Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolinas. Sampled the wares along I-75 to Michigan and I-65 to Chicago. Found some gems and then some places that offered paste, instead of diamonds (gastronomically speaking, of course). Searched for a great BBQ meal in NYC for years, especially in my hometown Brooklyn. You'd think that in a Boro that had great soul food, BBQ would be great too. On a recent trip back, to see the Avett Brothers concert at the Barclays Center, my wife and I ended up staying at a small hotel off 3rd avenue, on Butler St. Just arrived in the City and needing to find a place for a late lunch we set out along 4th Ave. to see what we could find. Instead of heading toward Atlantic Ave. we went in the opposite direction and at Union Street found the Dinosaur BBQ on Union St. She had a sampler, I had the brisket, something I'd not had before. It was not busy and we waited, but that didn't matter, we were just off the plane. My wife really enjoyed her draft rootbeer while I sampled some of the microbrews on tap. We watched some local come in, including three NYPD detectives. Our appetizers were very tasty and the main course, well, we loved them. There's live music Thursday through Saturday night. we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and I've added Dino's to my list of favorites for dining.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Went in for take-out. It took 27 minutes to get an order of hot links, a few deviled eggs and cole slaw. This was around 3pm. A lot of the seats were occupied, butcit certainly wasn't packed, nor was there a waiting list. While the links had a decent taste, I bit into a bone chip (or something hard as a bone chip) on my first bite. The deviled eggs pretty much tasted like cooked yolk whipped with a lot of mustard. The cole slaw was the best item out of the bunch, but nothing to do cartwheels over. The bbq sauce (in side cups) also have a heavy mustard taste.

The crew was friendly but kept giving me the "out soon" routine. Not a good first impression all-in-all.