“Old School NYC Pie”

Ranked #86 of 5,841 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 17 November 2017

We'd been planning to come for pizza here in several occasions but had never been able to execute the plan. Finally, today was our day. We arrived around 1:30 (shortly after the 1pm open time on a sunny Sunday) and by 2:20 were able to place our order. It was a sunny day so we passed the time drinking our coffees and chatting. Initially we'd planned to get by the slice, but by the time we ordered we were hungry enough for a whole pie. $30 for a plain with 8 slices. We waited another 40 minutes for the pizza to come out and finally our name was called. We elected to eat inside as there was space. The pizza was beautiful. Crispy dough covered generously with tomato sauce and mozzarella then basil and Parmesan on top. A good amount of oil on top too made it extra delicious. One of my favourite pizzas of all time. The only downsides were the wait (1.5 hours!) and I wish the crust had a bit more flavour and/or you were given extra tomato sauce for dipping because that stuff is delicious. Well worth the experience!

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Yeah that’s right, the BEST! I️ don’t even care if anyone disagrees with me, I’m just thankful that I️ was brought here one day to taste it. Believe me I️ would like there to be other pizza places just as good, with more space, nearer to civilization and less of a wait....but it’s special so I️ wouldn’t really change a thing.
You only get to taste it if you do what it takes to get a pizza. And if you don’t like it I️ wish you all the luck in finding better pizza

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

I visited Di Fara around 2:00 pm thinking that there won't be a line at that time and I was wrong. There were at least 10 people ahead of me. When my turn came I placed an order for one regular slice and one square. Little did I know I had to wait again for the slices to come out as they had nothing left to order.

While waiting I got a kick out of the older gentleman behind the counter orchestrating the pizza. Watching him do his thing was truly entertaining using organic olive oil and sprinkling some fresh basil all over the pies.

The place itself is a whole in the wall that has it's original form since 1965 with not much seating so be prepared to take it to go!

When I finally tasted the pizza it was heaven! I must say that I enjoyed the square slice much better. It was nice and crunchy and you could taste the olive oil. So Good!

Reviewed 28 October 2017

After hearing so much about Di Fara, from the Pizza Show, America's Test Kitchen New York Pizza at Home episode, we had to try it. Arrived on a Tuesday afternoon around 2pm and waited approx 40 minutes for our pie. The pizza was good but not great - a bit disappointing. The sauce, cheese, olive oil and basil all had great flavor but the crust was a bit lacking. The crust was thin but did not have any air in it - it was a bit flat. We would have liked it better, if there was a little chewiness to the crust. It was cooked in a conventional oven. We would have liked it much better if it was cooked at a higher temperature like in a wood burning oven or coal oven. It's a matter of personal preference. The pie was not made by Dom so we don't know if that would have made a difference. The square pizza was pretty much the same-just with a thicker crust, but still no air in it. Overall, it was a good experience visiting the restaurant.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Well am from Jersey as my handle indicates I know pizza. So we go to this place after 15 minutes of searching for parking we find one 8 blocks away. The restaurant is a tourist trap with below part pizza and astonishing price. Don't go here of you want good pizza. Don't go here of u want ok pizza. Go to this pizzeria of you want to pay for a pizza $30 . the worst badly I got for any meal in the past 50 years. NOT WORTH IT.

3  Thank Reza S