“Above Average Pizza”

Cuisines: Pizza
Forest Hills, New York
“Above Average Pizza”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Once, while in Hangzhou, China, I was checking out the beer in a grocery store and one brand had the following on the label, written in English: "DOES NOT CONTAIN FORMALDEHYDE". I always get suspicious when there is such a claim NOT to have, or be, something when there shouldn't be such an expectation in the first place.

That's the way it was with NOT RAY'S. Why would anyone have thought they were Ray's? Why the denial up-front? Are they hiding something...like maybe the fact that they are one of those Ray's pizza joints?

Today, I had two slices of plain pizza ($2.75 each) for lunch, take out.

While my slices were in the oven, I thought I'd try to trip them up, and asked, "So, is Ray around by any chance?" The guy behind the counter looked at me like I was a wiseguy and said, "Don't know anyone named Ray. Sorry."

I brought the pizza back to my desk to eat. They had looked like average slices of plain pizza but had great flavor - way above average.

Most slices from their specialty pizzas are $3.50 each. A couple were $4 a slice. (It's much cheaper per slice if you order a whole pie, of course.) There are no tables to eat at, just counters and stools against a wall and against the Fulton Street window. One wall is adorned with lots of photos of celebrities who, I presume, have frequented this place in the past. (Most in the distant past, no doubt, given that a large majority are celebrities from yesteryear.)

As far as the name is concerned, maybe they aren't Ray's after all, but there will always be some doubt in my mind. But given the taste of the pizza, who cares?

Visited July 2012
1 Thank JamieNYC

New York City, New York
“Daily Lunch Spot”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I work 2 blocks away and is my usual lunch spot. Pizzas are crisp with great sauce and cheese. Try the regular and the grandma slice

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Gillette18041
nyc
“great pizza”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

though you have your pick of amazing pizzarias in NYC, we loved Not Ray's as our neighborhood spot. We craved their tasty slices and loved the guys behind the counter. Yum!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank 7j5
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Decent pizza - incredibly rude service”
Reviewed 14 January 2008

Decent pizza - incredibly rude service

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
nyc
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best non-brick oven pizza in Ft. Greene”
Reviewed 17 December 2007