“It may not be ray's but who cares”

Not Ray's Nick's Pizza INC
Ranked #1,992 of 5,552 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We got lost in New York looking for that Brooklyn Flea Market. We were walking and the wonderful smell stopped us in our tracks. We paused, looked up, we laughed because of the name, looked inside. Since we were starving, we decided to have just anything. We each ordered a slice of pizza. First bite, I think I said it out loud " Dear Lord this is good". Every bite was savored with " oh this is really good". My husband ordered another slice and continued to savor the pizza with "oh this is really good". In my opinion this is the best tasting pizza we've ever had in New York. Who cares if its not Ray's pizza. Next time we go to NY, Not Ray's will be our first stop, then visit the Flea Market again.

1  Thank Rosemarie L

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Once, while in Hangzhou, China, I was checking out the beer in a grocery store and one brand had the following on the label, written in English: "DOES NOT CONTAIN FORMALDEHYDE". I always get suspicious when there is such a claim NOT to have, or be, something when there shouldn't be such an expectation in the first place.

That's the way it was with NOT RAY'S. Why would anyone have thought they were Ray's? Why the denial up-front? Are they hiding something...like maybe the fact that they are one of those Ray's pizza joints?

Today, I had two slices of plain pizza ($2.75 each) for lunch, take out.

While my slices were in the oven, I thought I'd try to trip them up, and asked, "So, is Ray around by any chance?" The guy behind the counter looked at me like I was a wiseguy and said, "Don't know anyone named Ray. Sorry."

I brought the pizza back to my desk to eat. They had looked like average slices of plain pizza but had great flavor - way above average.

Most slices from their specialty pizzas are $3.50 each. A couple were $4 a slice. (It's much cheaper per slice if you order a whole pie, of course.) There are no tables to eat at, just counters and stools against a wall and against the Fulton Street window. One wall is adorned with lots of photos of celebrities who, I presume, have frequented this place in the past. (Most in the distant past, no doubt, given that a large majority are celebrities from yesteryear.)

As far as the name is concerned, maybe they aren't Ray's after all, but there will always be some doubt in my mind. But given the taste of the pizza, who cares?

1  Thank JamieNYC
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I work 2 blocks away and is my usual lunch spot. Pizzas are crisp with great sauce and cheese. Try the regular and the grandma slice

1  Thank Gillette18041
Reviewed 15 November 2011

though you have your pick of amazing pizzarias in NYC, we loved Not Ray's as our neighborhood spot. We craved their tasty slices and loved the guys behind the counter. Yum!

1  Thank 7j5
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 14 January 2008

Decent pizza - incredibly rude service

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook