“The view is the star of this restaurant”
Review of The River Cafe

The River Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The River Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 5,673 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old Fulton St.
Transit: A or C train to High Street/Brooklyn Bridge; 2 or 3 train to Clark Street; F train to York St.; Bus #41 to Old Fulton St./Cadman Plaza West
Description: The River Cafe is open for Dinner service every day of the year. Dinner service begins at 5:30 Lunch is served on Saturday from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM Brunch is served on Sunday from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My girlfriend and I like to experience good restaurants. When I travel for business and she comes, we will seek out good places to eat.

Part of the whole idea with our trip to NYC was to eat at some of the most reputable places and have fantastic food experiences.

We visited Per Se, Daniel, Bouley, The River Cafe and Le Bernardin.

Comparing the River Cafe to some of the other places we ate would likely be very unfair. That said, I will judge it on its own merits.

When we arrived (early), we were invited out onto the deck to take in the beautiful NYC skyline. The view won us over big time. Regrettably, I had to go ask when our table was ready. I believe we should have been doted on a bit more when it comes to this.

The food was very good. The service did not seem to go as smoothly as some of the other places we went to. It seemed a bit disjointed and not as smooth.

This is a perfect spot for a romantic or celebratory meal. The view is remarkable and maybe priceless. I spent an hour on the top of the Rockfeller Center and didn't get the same view as was delivered at the River Cafe.

That said, I feel that the restaurant could try to make their service more accommodating and friendly. With that, I believe this would be a fantastic place that anyone would be lucky to dine at.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,434)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The restaurant was destroyed by hurricane Sandy, but is back now better than ever.
A complete dining experience from the amazing views of Manhattan to the food and staff make this the best restaurant i have been to in a long time.
An absolute must visit if you are in NY, and remember to wear a jacket!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you want to cap a visit to NYC with a special night out this is the restaurant to choose. The view is spectacular especially at night when the lights of manhattan make for a wonderful backdrop. The service is first class and the food lives up to the billing. The ravioli starter was the most wonderful dish I experienced in ten days of eating in the city. Not cheap but definitely memorable

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The two snooty girls on the entrance desk put us off eating there. Because we were not suitably dressed, they looked down their noses at us, gave us a Set Menu only and ferried us into a room to look at it. We decided not to bother returning once we had dressed up for dinner.

5  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A perfect setting, outstanding food and great service. Yes it's expensive .... this is New York and look at that view. A truly unforgettable experience.