“Time travel to old Brooklyn”

Anopoli Ice Cream Parlor & Family Restaurant
Ranked #1,674 of 6,648 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Charming, off-beat diner that's frozen in the first half of the 20th century. You'll feel like you've stepped into the 1930s, not only for the decor, but for the genuine warmth of the owner and staff and the largely traditional fare. We stopped in for an ice-cream cone (18% butterfat - a rich mixture by most standards), and found ourselves instantly feeling as though we were among old friends and family. A treasure.

1  Thank Hugh B

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Nice people work there; coffee so-so, food slightly above average, prices pretty reasonable, interior organized/clean.

Reviewed 13 May 2017

Every time I visit my friend Tim, in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, either I treat him, or he treats me to a wonderful breakfast at Anopoli. The breakfasts are wonderful, the quantities are generous, the service outstanding and the atmosphere nostalgic. I look forward to each return visit.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

A cute little neighborhood diner that specializes in creating ice cream concoctions. Also serves your typical comfort diner food.
Service is about what you would expect from a local diner. Fine for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Reviewed 22 May 2015

My husband's ethnicity is Greek. He is 1st gen. American, with both is parents coming from parts of Greece. I mention this only because the owner of Anopoli is like his brother from another mother. Visiting Anopoli last night for the first time, my husband actually thought the name was Anapoli (didn't have his glasses on when he walked by, so we were expecting an Italian flavor...one peek at the menu quickly divulged the true nature of this wonderfully old-timey slice of Americana, with serious Greek offerings in the fare.

Manny, the owner, is larger than life, gregarious, good natured, very attentive and hands on. From the moment we walked in he, as well as the hostess, and the servers, were very proactive and gracious. We didn't know that it was near closing at the time (we noticed while eating that the staff was busy wiping things down and putting things away), but that didn't dissuade Manny from personally seeing to it that we got premium service. We ordered off the menu, with Manny giving us suggestions: My husband had the meatloaf special, with fries and freshly cooked spinach. I had fresh salmon over Greek Salad. Both were delicious, but left us no room for dessert, which sounded amazing. (Actually the salmon I had was amazing, but the salad was bland...I'm guessing they leave it unseasoned to appeal to a broader swath of diners.) I happened to mention that I was sad as I was too full for dessert to Manny as we were paying the bill, saying that I would definitely be back for the Apple Cobbler. In a flash I suddenly had a sample cup with apple cobbler, topped with fresh whipped cream and cinnamon. Yummy, as expected!

The people are super friendly, and didn't make us feel rushed at all even though they were trying to close up. Manny is one of those guys, you know the type: quintessential Brooklyn, unforgettable presence, a real down to earth character and good guy.

Anopolis is a section of Chania in Crete, but Ano Poli refers to the upper part of the old city in Thessaloniki...not sure if the name refers to either one exactly, but my bet would be the former if I had to guess.

As far as value goes, the prices are more than fair. I rated it mid-range because the food is much better quality than cheap eats, and there is table service, but the prices could actually fit into the "cheap eats" category.