“New York on a budget!”
Review of Red Carpet Inn

Red Carpet Inn
Ranked #63 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We arrived in the late evening, however check in was swift and easy and our room was fairly comfortable with all the general amenities. Sadly the towels were stained and holey - I would advise taking your own. While the staff are not the friendliest (expect to be stared at with hostility if you take advantage of the complimentary breakfast in the mornings), that would not put me off staying here again for the right price. On a budget, it's a great place because let's face it, if you're going to New York, you're not there to be sitting in your hotel. Halsey Street subway station is literally at the exit to the motel and gets you into Manhattan/14th Street in around 25mins, on a regularly run L line. If you're looking for somewhere a little quieter than the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, then going a little further into Brooklyn is a brilliant idea.

Room Tip: We had a twin queen room and the size was excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 April 2013

OK - so right away I have to say "Don't come here if you have unwaveringly high standards'. The place is rather threadbare and careworn, it's in a neighbourhood you feel you don't want to hang around too much in at night and the view from the (admittedly panoramic) windows are not pretty (petrol station in the foreground, car scrapyard in the background) BUT it does have the advantage that it is cheap (for New York!), clean, most of the things there work and is incredibly convenient to travel into Manhattan from (or JFK for that matter - about equi-distant).

In other words - if you're looking for a place to base yourself for long trips into Manhattan and are prepared to be nice to the staff and are a bit tolerant of less than impeccable standards you'll get along just fine (it helps to have been an ex-student with backpacking and 'variable accomodation standards' experience!)

I would not recommend this place to light sleepers though. The room we were in was right next to the bus stop so we got a lot of growling engine noises, "Caution this vehicle is reversing" warnings and beepings as well as dustbin clangs from about 5am on and, on some evenings, lots of 'merry' cries from the Hispanic bar across the road. Then again I have had the same happen when staying in extremely swish hotels in mid-town Manhattan! New York is just a plain noisy place!

Room Tip: Try asking for a room away from the 'gas station', if possible. The twin-bedded rooms looked...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Julian C
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to stay in Bushwick for my Spring Break in Brooklyn, but the people have a right to know what will be included when they stay in the Red Carpet Inn. Located in the heart of one of Brooklyn's creepiest neighborhoods, the hotel is well-situated between the Wyckoff-Halsey Street Subway Station, making it an easy trip to Manhattan via the L Train. This was my primary reason for staying in this ironically-named crack den.

When I first walked in, I was immediately hit with the strong stench of marijuana and crack, as if someone hot boxed every floor of this establishment, but primarily the elevator. I consider myself to be 420-friendly, but the smell of crack is one thing I cannot abide. As we walked into our room, the scent of crack grew stronger and so did the scent of urine. Our room simply smelled soaked with human urine, and yet the smell of urine was not in the sheets or bedding--but in the walls, which is perhaps the most perplexing. Deep rust colored stains marked the curtains and lampshades and most resembled the color of blood. I can only assume someone was shot in the room and the clean-up was very basic. The bathroom was very nice. It was almost like the bathroom was from a different hotel. It had genuine marble countertops, a luxury shower, and other fine furnishings. I was tempted to sleep in the bath tub, primarily because the beds are rubberized to prevent pests, which made sleep difficult. To ease our discomfort, we requested additional pillows, but our request was denied. No additional pillows are kept in the hotel. Honestly, I recommend spending a little more to get a better hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Wyckoff for an interesting view of crime and homelessness.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank jnbruns
Reviewed 21 March 2013

we came to this hotel at 13 march 2013, we stayed in room 214 and we found air condition is very noise, after tomorrow they fixed it. we are 3 person but we got 2 towels. and i call the operator, he said i have to take it by myself.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This is a decent place for the price. Nothing fancy and kinda small rooms but still usable. Took a while to figure out the motel is on top of the subway track and you get vibrations at all hours. That being said the subway is right there for you. Parking is free but can be scarce- they had folks double parked and stacked up on the sidewalk. Not a bad place, but you can do better.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Gert_Frobe_007
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Searching for "affordable" accommodations, close to all the tourist areas in New York City is always a challenge. But, my diligent search paid off. I only looked for "two star" accommodations, and Red Carpet Inn fell into that catagory. It IS a bit worn (smoke detector was hanging, with wires from the ceiling) but we had everything we needed. The bed was comfortable,(there was two TV's in the room? - one worked great) the water was hot, a blow dryer was in the bathroom and we had a quiet, third floor, corner room, # 311. Bagels, donuts and coffee each morning held our appetites until midday and saved us money.

Our check-in at Red Carpet was friendly, despite the two inch thick glass that encloses the front desk! Each day the desk person, "gladly" mapped out our daily adventures for us. This part of Brooklyn, consists of small neighborhood stores, restaurants, and gas stations. It could have been also, my 27 yr. old, flight attendant daughter was in uniform!

Gettiing to Manhattan: Walk directly across the street from the Red Carpet Inn, go down the stairs (this is the Halsey St. connection) take the "L" train, then switch to the NQR, getting off at the Times Square area (Manhattan). This is about a twenty to twenty five minute ride. We bought RT Metro tickets, times 3 - for our 3 days of adventure in NYC. The cost was $13.00 each. Cheap and efficient. Get a Metro map and double check before boarding, to make sure you are going in the RIGHT direction.

Save your money for "Broadway Shows" and the great New York City food. We were only in the hotel to sleep at night. The hotel arranged for a private, large, SUV to pick us up at the ariport, $35.00 one way, and the same for our return. We went to a Broadway show, Radio City Movie Hall, and Rockefeller Center in our three days. This was a steal of a deal!

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor, corner, next to the stairs, away from the street, for a quiet night.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Maxine013
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I'm in this "hotel" writing this review. It is second only to a hotel I stayed at in India, for dirtiness, condition, staff apathy and location. I have paid far far too much for this stay. Three room changes brought me to a room that is habitable. Previous rooms had, stained and cigarette burned linen, in so called. Non smoking rooms (which in spite of an effort to mask the smell with air fresher, reeked of stale smoke). A bed, desk and a clapped out TV is pretty much all you get for your buck. Bathroom ok, spoiled by the rest. close to L train to Manhattan I can feel the vibration each time they pass. Rating given reluctantly, is too high.

Room Tip: Of the three rooms I tried. None is good. Having paid £286 for 3 days, without a possibility of a re...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo