“Great Price”

Ranked #59 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
montreal
“Great Price”
Reviewed 5 January 2009

I was worried about staying in Brooklyn but since the reviews where good decided to take a chance. I did not regret it at all. First, By booking directly at the hotel we got a rate of 104.95$/nite for 3 + tx. Parking is included and is free. The room had 2 double beds, 2 very large windows and was very clean. The washroom is clean and we did not see a trace of roaches or rodents at all.
Clean towels where provided everyday and we even asked for more than 3 because we where 2 girls with long hair and they provided without problems. The staff there is super friendly and helpfull. Always greeting us with smiles and making jokes with us. Breakfast is basic, donuts, bagels and coffee, served until 9h30am, When you get up late there is often no more donuts, but asking nicely got the desk clerk to go in the kitchen to get us more.
The L train is right in front of the hotel and will get you anywhere you want to go in less then 20 minutes and it runs 24 hrs. There is a Latino Restaurant that turns into a night club right in front of the hotel. The food there is amazing (if you're into latin cuisine) and not expensive, the staff is friendly, the drinks are good and the atmosphere feels like you're in dominican republic.
There is also a small latin store across the street, the owners there are a blast, we had so much fun with these people, and they have the best chicharon in the city,,,, extra hot sauce please!
When I had questions on how to locate little India, Ganga the employee at the gaz station/convenience store was extra helpful and wrote down all the information for me.
The motel is in the Latin area of Brooklyn, it's very safe. We took the train coming back from clubbing in the Bronx at 5am and it was fine.
When I go back to New York, I will definately stay at this hotel again.
and little detail, whenever we travelled by taxi, we had no problems getting a taxi from Manhattan to Brooklyn.

• Liked — Price, Location, accessibility
  • Disliked — not right in Manhattan so you have no choice to take the train
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Queens
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I got it for $100 all told by booking on hotels.com and you have to understand that I am not a picky person, especially when I know I'm getting a deal. Even if I were, though, there'd be little to complain about. I stayed on Thanksgiving night and it was quiet, except that I was across from the elevator and did hear that fairly frequently. No street noise (though I was in the back). BIG plus is a mostly gated lot to park your car in. Management is courteous and they even have a (bad) continental breakfast. L train is right there. Overall if you want budget I would recommend this place highly. It can look a bit run down but they make a clear effort to keep it in decent shape, I saw no vermin, and had a decent sleep. It's a motel, an average experience at an excellent price—a useful place to know about for sure.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Thin walls and blankets
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 16 November 2008

Just a little insight on me and my friend, both 27 year old males, and from London, so used to the city way. We stayed here for 10 days, and I found the hotel quite good. I read loads of reviews mentioning lack of cleaning, and also cockroachs and rats, but never experienced none of these.

Its across the road from the L train which takes you into Manhattan in about 20mins,, and also not far from the M train which also takes you into Manhattan and goes towards Chinatown, Little Italy and Soho.

We stayed on the third floor, and the only negatives I would say are, our hairdryer didnt work (I got real short hair so I personally wasnt fussed), if you like laying in bed til early afternoon, the cleaners can be quite loud in the corridors when cleaning, and also no fridge. Other than that, it was good, the hotel falls in the Bushwick/Ridgewood area and costs about $30 + tip from JFK. Its also about $20-25 back from Manhattan into the area, but alot of taxis are reluctant to go there for some reason.

I met quite a few locals and can say everyone was good to me. The grocery store across the roads friendly. If you drink, its most probably cheaper to buy in the liquor store to the right of the station than it is in duty free. And across the road from the hotel theres a 4 places to ear, 2 cafe types, 1 chinese and 1 latin place. The chinese is quite cheap if your on a budget, with most meals around $4. Theres also a gas station to the left of the hotel which sells snacks and other bits. KFC, McDonalds, and White Castles are all about a 10 min walk to the left of the hotel. Theres also a few good shops local, some near Cypress Ave, Knickerbocker Ave, and also on Myrtle Ave, which can be cheaper than buying in Manhattan as you can haggle with them abit. Be careful though, because some places do sell knock-offs, like True Religions and Ed Hardys, I asked about a pair of True Religions which were $110, and without me even asking, the guy in the shop said I could have them for $40!! So be careful!

Hotel staff are Indian, and some of them are not the best English speakers, so sometimes it may be tricky to communicate with some of the staff.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — It was all good for what we paid
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrP6552
Skelmersdale Lancs
Reviewed 10 November 2008

We were very worried about staying at the Red Carpet after reading some of the reviews. However, we need not have worried ourselves. We found the bedroom and bathroom very clean, and clean sheets and towels provided everyday. The management were extremely helpful and friendly and when we came across a problem with our reservation they did their best to accomodate. Nice and friendly eating places nearby, local Chinese takeaway very good . When talking to policemen who were eating in the Chinese takeaway/restaurant they said the area is very safe around the hotel Great location for the subway and into New York to see the sights. Should we ever visit New York again this is where we will be staying. Thanks for a great time. We stayed for seven nights at the hotel and never once encountered any problems either inside/outside hotel even quite late at night

• Liked — clean rooms,
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gilliarno
essex
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Hi all. This is my first ever review. I wanted to write it because I was initially put off the hotel because of the really bad reviews but glad i stayed there in the end. I stayed at the RCI from the 17th oct 2008 fonwards for one week.

My room was on the second floor overlooking the car park . It was clean and quiet. The cleaners came in every day and did their job and left me with new disposable toiletries everyday. I even left my expensive camera equipment there with no probs.

Consider the breakfast a freebie. Its coffee and bagels standing up in the reception. Nothing more. but i was glad of it after waking up a few times worse for wear.

I found the staff both on the day and night shift very friendly With directions and general advice.

The location is in a spanish neighbourhood. The people were very friendly , much more so than London. There are a few OK restaurants in the area. You have McDonalds and KFC at the end of the road. Walking around at night alone was no problem for me. Although I wouldn't recommend it for a single woman who isnt a local. Not because it was dangerous , but because u may stick out a bit , although I really dont think you would be hassled.

The location is excellent for manhattan. There are 4 subway entrances within a short walk. If you are on a budget and single I would take the train from the airport , buy yourself a weekly unlimited subway ticket for 25 bucks and save the taxi money for beers:) The location is a bit trickier for Brooklyn stations. But i think that will always be the case if you stay in Brooklyn.

All in all i would stay there again mos definitely. it is one of the cheapest places to stay in NY and the surrounding areas and has an ensuite toilet with Jacuzzi bath ! The other places that I checked out were slightly more expensive and shared toilet. Its also very very convenient and economical if u buy the metro card.

I am not sure why the reviews are so bad. Maybe some people got a bad room. If so , go for the 2nd floor overlooking the car park. If you are from an all white neighbourhood where people leave their doors open at night and have never been in a big city then it may be a culture shock for you.

I also checked the place out on google maps, they have a 3d 'live' view so u can see exactly what you are getting ! check if you are still unsure.

Richard

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — Nothing really. No fridge if pushed.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank rdphotog
barelysane
Reviewed 24 October 2008

You can not beat this place for location! It is smack dab on the "L" line of the subway which will get you anywhere you need to go. You get on the subway RIGHT outside the hotel door!! Manhattan is maybe 20 - 30 minutes away, maybe even less. While the neighborhood is not the greatest, it certainly is not the worst and we were not bothered in the least. We returned late several nights with absolutely no worries. There is a police station blocks away and their presence is felt - you see police cars out & about. NOW the hotel itself is simply crap. It's pretty gross in the sense that it doesn't feel all that clean. I wore socks at all times. The sheets were clean though and the beds were super comfortable. Don't bother putting out the "do not disturb" sign as it will be ignored. The first day I put out the sign and came back to clean towels and other signs that someone had been in our room. The maid (I believe she is one of the owners) comes in daily to check things out - she told me so herself when I tried to let her know I didn't need her to clean our room. Oh well. Honestly, it is not the worst place and is certainly worth the cheap price if you are going to be out doing New York and just need a place to sleep. You can even get a decent breakfast right across the street for about $4.00!!

• Liked — Loved the location - right on the subway line!!
  • Disliked — It was pretty icky really - felt dirty, carpets were stained. Didn't like that they came in when I was gone.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank barelysane
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I have been in many hotels in this country but this one was the worst. In every way.
This hotel is close to the subway that takes you to Times Square and etc and it's cheap, but when you are on vacation or traveling you want to enjoy yourself, right??So, beware of this hotel!!!
The area is trashy and for two nights we saw people outside talking. My boyfriend told me that they were probably doing drugs.
I stayed in the room 125 and the heater/air conditioner smelled. It was really gross to leave that thing on.
The fire detector thing was broken and it was leaking from it!!!We told them and they said they would fix it. When we came back, they just took it off and put the trash can under it so then the carpet wouldn't get wet! Can you believe that??
Also, I have a feeling that the lazy housekeeper NEVER change our towels or the sheets! I found a cigarette burn in one of them, asked them to change, and the lazy housekeeper spoke to them in her language. They told me that they changed it and it was the same one.
The breakfast SUCKS! The bagels were disgusting and I don't think the internet worked there, because I saw people sitting down on the stairs twice with their notebooks.

Please don't stay there. I know it's cheap, I know it's not too far from the "good area" but I think is really wrong what those people do to their guests.

• Liked — The price, and that it was close to the subway
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HowToHaveFun

Travellers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels