“Believe everything you read, people!”

Comfort Inn Brooklyn City Center
Ranked #51 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Trinidad
“Believe everything you read, people!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

I really did not want to write this review without the pics because I doubted you would believe it without. Before I went to the Howard Johnson I read the reviews but I like to believe in the good so it's my own fault. I read the reviews about the bullet-proof looking glass at the reception... TRUE! The first I've ever seen that at a hotel and I assure you that makes you wonder if gunshots will follow (trust me, read on here). I read about the stale breakfast and the unwanted guests from the neighbourhood coming in to join in yours. Again true. Thank goodness for the same doughnuts fresher across the street and a couple of blocks down. I read about the smelly carpet but they were being awfully kind in those reviews. Think stinky feet of 12 vagabonds although my room was cleaned (even of loose change) everyday. But the real shocker folks comes now. One night the rain fell pretty hard. As I lay in bed looking at the tele I wondered why the curtain was moving. Curious, I went to look. There in front of me covered by the drapes were what looks dreadfully like two bullet holes in the window pane in my bedroom! I took pics and you can be the judge as soon as I can download. For the money I paid (because the hotel is not cheap on any site) oh please! Never again! Dont bother to call the front desk, they dont answer. Try not to make the complimentary coffee, the machine doesnt work. Oh yeah, the good thing is that there is a bus stop right in front so you can get the hell outta there fast!

Room Tip: Scarface, anyone?
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank busybee452

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

As a single white female I felt ok in the hotel but a person had told me Crown Heights area was "not good" so it set up a certain amount of fear. Basically it was all ok and good except I was unsure if I was safe walking to and from subways and was told yellow cabs wouldn't service the hotel only livery cabs which are more expensive. So I stayed one night instead of two. If I had to do over again I might have explored the area during the day. I thought the room was very big and clean and nice.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank blahblaheck
Joplin, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

My sister and I stayed one week at the Brooklyn Ho Jo because of cost. We would not recommend it to anyone other than a local. If you know the area then you might expect this kind of environment. My sister and I are from the Midwest, however we have travelled the world and this is one of the most major disappointments we have encountered. We were frequently hassled by men at the bus stop and while walking in the area and found our best mode of transport via taxi. Good luck getting a taxi in Manhattan to take you to Brooklyn or a taxi to take you to this location from LaGuardia. The hotel staff barked answers to our inquiries through the bullet-proof glass enclosure. I lived in the East End of London for a number of years and never had trouble like this. Next time we'll spend the extra to stay in Manhattan.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank malfermo

Travellers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

san diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I was naive enough to stay at this hotel because the price was so much lower than Manhattan hotels and I planned to save a little money by taking the train in. When my husband and I arrived at JFK and I asked the info booth if the area was safe enough to walk around we received a resounding "NO" for the 2 ladies at the booth. Gulp. We took a taxi there and had to walk across the street to get to the lobby - it was scary. The lobby counter is behind bullet-proof glass. The hotel elevator was filled with cigarette smoke. The overall appearance of the hotel is run down, chipped paint, dirty. The linens on our bed had human hair all over it including on the sheets. I requested fresh linens.

We checked out the next morning, found a wonderful hotel in Manhattan on expedia for $25 less per night. Oh, well, live and learn.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
TO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

Stayed at the hotel on March 6th 2010 and paid $178 for one night. The room is very small but I thought for convenience to Utica I would stay the night plus I stayed in the hotel in 2006 and had no problems then. We woke up Sunday morning and everthing was fine but before we checked out we saw a small bug on the spread and I pointed it out to my husband who killed it and we didn't think much of it. On my way back home, I started to itch and started seeing raised red bumps on my arms, neck. When I got home I showed my husband and then I started to question whether that bug was a bed bug.
The next morning itchiness was intense with more raised bumps. They were worse on my back. I searched the internet to realize that the bug was a bed bug. I called the manager at HOJO and he denied the hotel had a problem and stated I must have gotten it from home. He was very rude.
Visitors to Brooklyn should be cautious and stay away from this hotel. THE HOTEL HAS BEDBUGS and you would not want to take them home with you.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank ToKenkar
WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

i stayed in this hotel several times while on business in ny from nov 2006 and at least twice yearly since then up to april 2008 for between 4- 6 days each time.

not the best layout rooms, they do have safes, fridges, coffe maker, iron & board etc, but very tight for space. the rooms have gotten progressively worse each visit, not the cleanest, the carpets look dirty, towels have a strange and unpleasant smell, coffee makers sometimes are not cleaned daily, and linens sometimes dirty.

the location is ideal if you want to get around in brooklyn. however the customer service is poor starting right from the manager. this is the first hotel i have stayed in where a manager would enter the elevator with guest and not even say hello, he meets guest in the lobby or coming in the hall ways and just holds his head straight without a smile or greeting.

while i can tolerate a not so clean room to some extent, i will not tolerate a manager who has no appreciation for his guest. he really makes you feel unwelcomed. i suspect that the workers just follow his que - there are a few good employees though.

i have paid up to $229 at times for a room and it is really not worth it. for a fairly new hotel - i don't think its much more than 4 years old - the rooms are in poor condition- looks more like a 20 year old hotel that is not maintained. its really a pity that a high standard could not be maintained at this brooklyn hotel - i am not an american nor do i live in the usa, but this hotel would give the impression that this is typical brooklyn .

i have stayed at other hotels owned by the wyndam group and it has never been so bad - hojo needs an upgrade to this manager- the hotel is a reflection of him.

so far for 2009 i have started staying at the marriott near brooklyn bridge - a bit more pricy, but far superior rooms and service, and i don't have to be in a hotel where i don't feel welcome.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank allipali
brooklyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

Well, I should start with saying that I know Brooklyn so my expectations were very low.
This hotel is actually located not very far from Crown Heights in Brooklyn. The room was pretty big,warm and cozy, with a fridge and a flat screen TV. I didn't find any hotel in new york that night because of the convention so I had to go to Brooklyn where they were only a couple of hotels available.The price was ok, I did notice the bullet proof glass at the front desk but I was totally aware that it was necessary in the neighborhood.Maybe it should be smaller hahahaha so it would not be so obvious.
Anyway,I have to say I had a great stay with a very friendly staff,and it was very quiet! The cleaning of my room was not always properly done I could tell :(. Also, be prepared for a loooooooong walk to the closest subway (Utica Avenue 4 train)which is about 10 blocks from the hotel, on your way you'll get to have a peek at the neighborhood with lots of small stores, West Indians(mostly Jamaicans),African Americans, a couple of Chinese restaurants etc....honestly this was pretty acceptable hotel if you have to have to Brooklyn, I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo