“A terrible place to stay in Brooklyn”

Comfort Inn Brooklyn City Center
Ranked #54 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We spent 3 nights in this motel. Fridge did not work and was never repaired.Spent two nights afraid that someone would burst through the door. Lots or loud talking and cussing late at night.No adequate parking sign posted on sidewalk warns "park at your own risk."During day
sidewalks very congested with repairmen from the auto shop next door soliciting repair work. We were charged for out stay when we walked in. If you wish to enjoy your stay in New York
do not stay in this place

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank 18Wannabe18

Reviewed 18 September 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights and I was expecting the worst. The reviews on TripAdvisor had led me to believe that it would not be a good experience. However, it was fine.THe area was safe surrounding the hotel, the hotel was clean, the staff was extremely helpful. I would most definetely stay there again when my travels give cause for me to be in Brooklyn and Manhattan. The busstop outside the hotel takes you straight to the mall. The cultural diversity was interesting and I found all the people I came into contact with in the neighbourhoods, restaurants, bus, etc to be most helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank MarthaBermuda
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We spend two nights at this The best thing was the location
We left some things in the room and it was not returned to us even though we try so hard.
Be careful with your things.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patrick S
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I really did not want to write this review without the pics because I doubted you would believe it without. Before I went to the Howard Johnson I read the reviews but I like to believe in the good so it's my own fault. I read the reviews about the bullet-proof looking glass at the reception... TRUE! The first I've ever seen that at a hotel and I assure you that makes you wonder if gunshots will follow (trust me, read on here). I read about the stale breakfast and the unwanted guests from the neighbourhood coming in to join in yours. Again true. Thank goodness for the same doughnuts fresher across the street and a couple of blocks down. I read about the smelly carpet but they were being awfully kind in those reviews. Think stinky feet of 12 vagabonds although my room was cleaned (even of loose change) everyday. But the real shocker folks comes now. One night the rain fell pretty hard. As I lay in bed looking at the tele I wondered why the curtain was moving. Curious, I went to look. There in front of me covered by the drapes were what looks dreadfully like two bullet holes in the window pane in my bedroom! I took pics and you can be the judge as soon as I can download. For the money I paid (because the hotel is not cheap on any site) oh please! Never again! Dont bother to call the front desk, they dont answer. Try not to make the complimentary coffee, the machine doesnt work. Oh yeah, the good thing is that there is a bus stop right in front so you can get the hell outta there fast!

Room Tip: Scarface, anyone?
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank busybee452
Reviewed 24 May 2011

As a single white female I felt ok in the hotel but a person had told me Crown Heights area was "not good" so it set up a certain amount of fear. Basically it was all ok and good except I was unsure if I was safe walking to and from subways and was told yellow cabs wouldn't service the hotel only livery cabs which are more expensive. So I stayed one night instead of two. If I had to do over again I might have explored the area during the day. I thought the room was very big and clean and nice.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank blahblaheck
Reviewed 20 December 2010

My sister and I stayed one week at the Brooklyn Ho Jo because of cost. We would not recommend it to anyone other than a local. If you know the area then you might expect this kind of environment. My sister and I are from the Midwest, however we have travelled the world and this is one of the most major disappointments we have encountered. We were frequently hassled by men at the bus stop and while walking in the area and found our best mode of transport via taxi. Good luck getting a taxi in Manhattan to take you to Brooklyn or a taxi to take you to this location from LaGuardia. The hotel staff barked answers to our inquiries through the bullet-proof glass enclosure. I lived in the East End of London for a number of years and never had trouble like this. Next time we'll spend the extra to stay in Manhattan.

• Stayed: September 2010
3  Thank malfermo
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I was naive enough to stay at this hotel because the price was so much lower than Manhattan hotels and I planned to save a little money by taking the train in. When my husband and I arrived at JFK and I asked the info booth if the area was safe enough to walk around we received a resounding "NO" for the 2 ladies at the booth. Gulp. We took a taxi there and had to walk across the street to get to the lobby - it was scary. The lobby counter is behind bullet-proof glass. The hotel elevator was filled with cigarette smoke. The overall appearance of the hotel is run down, chipped paint, dirty. The linens on our bed had human hair all over it including on the sheets. I requested fresh linens.

We checked out the next morning, found a wonderful hotel in Manhattan on expedia for $25 less per night. Oh, well, live and learn.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple