“The hotel was good, the staff and the area definitely NOT”

Comfort Inn Brooklyn City Center
Ranked #53 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 27 October 2008

The hotel was clean,quite new and the beds were great.Even if the rooms were a bit small were nice decorated.
The area was bad and the metro station was like 15 minutes by walk from the hotel.
The staff and the reception were ok, but not very hepfull or friendly,I called twice asking for a extra pillow,which I did not get until the day after.But the worst was the Lady that was taking care of the breakfast room,she was so,so rude.She was just sitting on a table infront the breakfast buffet,looking at you while you were making your breakfast and running after you if you drop a bit of milk or if you leave the bag of the bread open.It was intimidating everyone.
Even if the hotel was good,I will never come back or recomend it for the area and for this particulary member of the staff.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 September 2008

We needed a place to stay in Brooklyn and this one had a good price, although I was surprised that hotels in Brooklyn were so pricey. We drove through some crappy neighborhoods to get there, but I felt completely safe in this area ( and I am a wimp from the country). The parking was free and I felt that our car would still be in one piece in the morning. There was a great 24 hour diner that delivered directly to your room which was just as good as if the hotel had offered room service..The room was clean, and the staff was very pleasant. My only complaint was the so called free "Breakfast", a choice of 2 cereals, a bagel or a small muffin-luckily there is a Dunkin D's across the street.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2008

hotel excellent, area poor‎
I could not have been happier with our stay at the Brooklyn HoJo. It was extremely clean, the bed was excellent, the staff were over the top helpful, moving cars so we could park, writing detailed directions, for BOTH directions, to and from our destination. They let me choose our room! The desk clerk asked me what floor I wanted to be on, suggested the back of the hotel (VERY quiet) and gave me the keys to two rooms to choose from. I got a terrific nights sleep. It was very quiet, I never heard traffic or sirens all night. And, the price is fantastic, well below other hotels in Brooklyn. The area is not good. I definitely would not want to walk around there. My highest priority in a hotel is cleanliness, this hotel was spotless.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We read reviews from this and other websites and was a bit leery but needed something that was inexpensive. Unfortunately we didn't know exactly where the hotel was and when we called for directions, the girl on staff had no idea how to direct us. The location is sketchy and unless you arrive during the day and are able to park in their limited parking area, you have to drive around to find a spot on the street. Luckily we had a small rental car and were able to squeeze into a small spot in the back lot. Our room had filthy carpet that had been stained numerous times. It was hot in the room, but when having the windows open, it was too noisy. When we ran the air conditioning or even the fan, there was a smell of urine. We had originally booked the place for 2 nights but after complaining with the hotel and calling Howard Johnson directly, we are hoping to have the second night credited to our charge card. Although the hotel staff was not very sympathetic, Howard Johnson corporate was very regretful of our experience and appreciative of our feedback.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2008

The hotel itself was ok. The rooms were small but clean & staff was helpful, but not overly friendly. Free breakfast was a bonus but its just your usual continental breakfast of bagels, cereal, etc... nothing fancy. The parking lot was very small with very tight spaces but there is some parking on the street in front of the hotel. Now on to the negatives: there were traps in the parking lot of the hotel - don't know if they have a problem with mice or roaches but it was a little offputting. Also you have to worry about a hotel that has signs posted to "park at your own risk", gives you a list of safety guidelines for staying at the hotel in the welcome packet, and as noted in another review, has bullet-proof glass between you and the receptionist. Let me just say, I live in the DC/Baltimore metro area and am very familiar with big cities. That said, this area of Brooklyn is not the safest. We felt uncomfortable enough in the neighborhood that we didn't leave the hotel room at night, not even to eat. This was just a precaution, mind you - no one bothered us while there but just for our own peace of mind, we made sure we ate before we got back to the hotel because frankly we would not have felt safe walking around the area at night. All in all, you get what you pay for. It's cheaper because its not in a great neighborhood & it's not really convenient to anything. The subway is a few blocks away in a neighborhood that you might not want to walk around in. While it was an overall ok experience, we will not be staying there again when we visit Brooklyn.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2008

This little hotel is in mid-Brooklyn. It's a 15 minute subway ride from Manhattan. When I booked this, I was a little apprehensive (born and raised in Brooklyn, but now live in the burbs), but I was familiar with the area. The hotel was a 10 minute walk (or 5 minute) bus ride from the subway. Plenty of little shops along the way (Utica Ave is a bustling shopping venue.) The hotel was clean and the staff was very polite and helpful. There is a White Castle's Hamburger restaurant nearby, a 24-hour Diner (Mike's) across the street, and a 24-hour drugstore a block away. They also have a Business Center with a computer with Internet for your convenience in the lobby. Don't be put off by location -- It's a New York City bargain! I was there for business travel to NY and it worked out great! There were several other business travelers and European tourists there during my stay who also clearly found it an economical alternative to a more expensive Manhattan option. In that case, you pay a premium (up to $150-200 more a night) just to avoid a short subway ride. Book your room in this hotel and save your money for doing fun NYC things like seeing shows and shopping!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2008

Disclaimer: I am a reformed brooklynite and a flag-carrying member of the West Indian Community. That being said, I've been away from Brooklyn a long time and avoid going back too often due to the small rooms, even smaller bathrooms, and small stairwells. But funerals have a way of forcing you to put aside a lot of personal preferences.

The reviews of prior guests were really helpful and kept my expectations in check. Utica Avenue is not for the meek, but the hotel stands out due to its size and the hotel sign. Parking was as described, but we had a disability decal and the disabled spot was always available, albiet the same size as the other spots. We had to pull in halfway and unload my mother's wheelchair before parking the car. This is not a complaint though, because it was the only location where we found a parking spot designated for the disabled.

The staff was personable, and one staff member (not the bell boy, but the manager(?)) graciously loaded our bags unto the cart even though we weren't expecting it. The rooms were as described: small. It felt smaller because we had a wheelchair but did not want a wheelchair accessible room because they were four of us. (Wheelchair accessible rooms only have 1 king size bed). Once we rolled the wheelchair in, we had to crawl over the bed to get out from behind it (that small). The bathroom was a pleasent surprise: formica counter, brightly lit, curved shower rod, and hot water that kept on coming.

The complimentary breakfast was also as expected: filler for $0. The attendant was also as described: pleasant, and accomodating.

Due to its central location in the community that I grew up in, hojo is my first choice if I have to return to Brooklyn again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business