“The manager is a reflection of the hotel!!!”

Comfort Inn Brooklyn City Center
Ranked #48 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
WI
“The manager is a reflection of the hotel!!!”
Reviewed 27 September 2009

i stayed in this hotel several times while on business in ny from nov 2006 and at least twice yearly since then up to april 2008 for between 4- 6 days each time.

not the best layout rooms, they do have safes, fridges, coffe maker, iron & board etc, but very tight for space. the rooms have gotten progressively worse each visit, not the cleanest, the carpets look dirty, towels have a strange and unpleasant smell, coffee makers sometimes are not cleaned daily, and linens sometimes dirty.

the location is ideal if you want to get around in brooklyn. however the customer service is poor starting right from the manager. this is the first hotel i have stayed in where a manager would enter the elevator with guest and not even say hello, he meets guest in the lobby or coming in the hall ways and just holds his head straight without a smile or greeting.

while i can tolerate a not so clean room to some extent, i will not tolerate a manager who has no appreciation for his guest. he really makes you feel unwelcomed. i suspect that the workers just follow his que - there are a few good employees though.

i have paid up to $229 at times for a room and it is really not worth it. for a fairly new hotel - i don't think its much more than 4 years old - the rooms are in poor condition- looks more like a 20 year old hotel that is not maintained. its really a pity that a high standard could not be maintained at this brooklyn hotel - i am not an american nor do i live in the usa, but this hotel would give the impression that this is typical brooklyn .

i have stayed at other hotels owned by the wyndam group and it has never been so bad - hojo needs an upgrade to this manager- the hotel is a reflection of him.

so far for 2009 i have started staying at the marriott near brooklyn bridge - a bit more pricy, but far superior rooms and service, and i don't have to be in a hotel where i don't feel welcome.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank allipali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
brooklyn
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Well, I should start with saying that I know Brooklyn so my expectations were very low.
This hotel is actually located not very far from Crown Heights in Brooklyn. The room was pretty big,warm and cozy, with a fridge and a flat screen TV. I didn't find any hotel in new york that night because of the convention so I had to go to Brooklyn where they were only a couple of hotels available.The price was ok, I did notice the bullet proof glass at the front desk but I was totally aware that it was necessary in the neighborhood.Maybe it should be smaller hahahaha so it would not be so obvious.
Anyway,I have to say I had a great stay with a very friendly staff,and it was very quiet! The cleaning of my room was not always properly done I could tell :(. Also, be prepared for a loooooooong walk to the closest subway (Utica Avenue 4 train)which is about 10 blocks from the hotel, on your way you'll get to have a peek at the neighborhood with lots of small stores, West Indians(mostly Jamaicans),African Americans, a couple of Chinese restaurants etc....honestly this was pretty acceptable hotel if you have to have to Brooklyn, I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank sissiiii
brooklyn
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I checked into the HOJO on 599 Utica and was first surprised by the Saturday night cost of $168.00. The room from the get go looked unkept, and on further inspection was completely unkept., the bathroom was not fully cleaned, the carpet dirty and the sheets on the bed and the comforter filled with hair and wet spots, no wonder my entire body iched from laying on it before pulling the comforter back. Never again, plus the staff rushed me out after I asked for a late checkout by telling me it would be $10 for every hour, how late did they think I was checking out?

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank bro287

Travellers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

South FL
Reviewed 5 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel from Jan 21st thru the 26th of this year. I read the previous reviews and all I have to say is that if you are a Brooklyn Native like me...you already know what to expect of the area. Most of the areas in brooklyn are not exactly the cleanliest, or like rural areas with white picket fences and manicured green lawns...lol..for goodness sakes it's the city!! However, I was born and raised there and was quite content with my stay at the HOJO. There was free hot breakfast (although I'm sure they include that in the price) every morning from 7am-10am. There aren't any eggs, bacon/sausage or anything like that. That was fine with me because there is a Dunkin Donut (which I only went to once) and a diner right across the street from the hotel. So for lunch, you're on your own. The breakfast items did include; homemade pancakes and waffles, donuts, muffins, 4 types of cereals, whole milk only, juice dispencer which serves orange and apple juice, coffee (decaf/reg), hot chocolate, oatmeal, bagels (reg/cinn raisin), sliced bread, and many condiments used for the previously listed items. The staff was very respectful and helpful. The housekeeping crew did not speak a lick of english, but that was ok. I did not have much to say to them. Knowing NY, I know there are not much living spaces within buildings such as the HOJO, so the room was exactly to my expectation. The room I stayed in was very nice, although, there was some kind of stain on the carpet..not sure what it was. I made sure to wear slippers until I was on the bed. The sheet that was on my bed had a cigarette sized burn thru it which made me a little dissapointed. Everything else in the room was fine, the bed was very comfortable. The workout room which I used a few times was great also, there were 3 machines and a flat screen tv in there. I had a ride everywhere I went so there was no need for me to use the parking. This hotel really is just minutes away from many places that the everyday person would frequent. All in all, I had a great 5-day stay and will definitely be going back in the summer. I've already recommended this hotel to all my family back in FL.

• Liked — The location...I was right in the HEART of Brooklyn.
  • Disliked — The housekeeping crew did not speak english, cigarette burn thru my sheet.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Spain
Reviewed 27 October 2008

The hotel was clean,quite new and the beds were great.Even if the rooms were a bit small were nice decorated.
The area was bad and the metro station was like 15 minutes by walk from the hotel.
The staff and the reception were ok, but not very hepfull or friendly,I called twice asking for a extra pillow,which I did not get until the day after.But the worst was the Lady that was taking care of the breakfast room,she was so,so rude.She was just sitting on a table infront the breakfast buffet,looking at you while you were making your breakfast and running after you if you drop a bit of milk or if you leave the bag of the bread open.It was intimidating everyone.
Even if the hotel was good,I will never come back or recomend it for the area and for this particulary member of the staff.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — The area and the rude staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Wareham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 September 2008

We needed a place to stay in Brooklyn and this one had a good price, although I was surprised that hotels in Brooklyn were so pricey. We drove through some crappy neighborhoods to get there, but I felt completely safe in this area ( and I am a wimp from the country). The parking was free and I felt that our car would still be in one piece in the morning. There was a great 24 hour diner that delivered directly to your room which was just as good as if the hotel had offered room service..The room was clean, and the staff was very pleasant. My only complaint was the so called free "Breakfast", a choice of 2 cereals, a bagel or a small muffin-luckily there is a Dunkin D's across the street.

• Liked — safety
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2008

hotel excellent, area poor‎
I could not have been happier with our stay at the Brooklyn HoJo. It was extremely clean, the bed was excellent, the staff were over the top helpful, moving cars so we could park, writing detailed directions, for BOTH directions, to and from our destination. They let me choose our room! The desk clerk asked me what floor I wanted to be on, suggested the back of the hotel (VERY quiet) and gave me the keys to two rooms to choose from. I got a terrific nights sleep. It was very quiet, I never heard traffic or sirens all night. And, the price is fantastic, well below other hotels in Brooklyn. The area is not good. I definitely would not want to walk around there. My highest priority in a hotel is cleanliness, this hotel was spotless.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — area
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple